Author Topic: Are walleye line shy?  (Read 9124 times)

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Are walleye line shy?
« on: Feb 10, 2017, 01:57 PM »
I'll be fishing for pike in a lake that has a good amount of walleye as well, and I have no experience with walleye.  Will they be scared off by a quick-strike rig or wire leaders? 

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Are walleye line shy?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I would say yes, but thats just my opinion, my tips are set up for walleyes so I use a mono leader

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:54 AM »
80/20 I would say 80% of the time they are line shy. Jjigging for walleye I use a 2 foot floro line tied to my main line. When watching them om camera they would spook when they could see the braided line or a leader. The other 20% it doesn't matter, when they are aggressive they will bite. These times are usually first and last ice, before sun rise and just before sunset.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:35 PM »
i know they can be at certain times or in body's of water that are clear. I really like fluoro carbon line(6-8lbs) because its almost invisible in water.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:43 AM »
I've never fished for or caught a Walleye through the ice and want to give it a try and would like to know what weight line do you guys use for the main line and leaders? 

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2017, 11:44 AM »
I've never fished for or caught a Walleye through the ice and want to give it a try and would like to know what weight line do you guys use for the main line and leaders?

I run 80lb Power Pro for my main line, then a ball bearing swivel with 10 lb Seagur Fluro leaders. I'll add either a glow bead or brass bead (or both) above a red #10 or #12 treble. Split shot to weight, depending on the size of my bait.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2017, 11:56 AM »
I don't believe walleye are line shy, I throw high vis line open water, tie direct. I've had a few days were the fish are off and maybe light line/ floro makes a difference and go to live bait. That being said in the winter I still use high vis line but run a floro leader. Mostly how tuff the line is. I run braid for heavy rap and spoons and mono for everything else. Eight to ten pound test for both lines. Floro also stays straighter than mono on a slack line on a drop reducing tangles from treble hooks.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2017, 02:39 PM »
I think they are line shy on a dead stick, on a jigging rod no, thats a reaction bite. All of my tip ups i run a quick strike with 20lb flouro, its stiff and pike have a hard time slicing it up in my experience.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2017, 02:43 PM »
I don't believe my experience provides a definitive answer but in my experience it doesnt matter. I cought my largest tip up walleye on a black Steele leader loaded with fluorescent beads and blades intended for pike on clear water you could see 25ft.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2017, 04:57 PM »
I'll be fishing for pike in a lake that has a good amount of walleye as well, and I have no experience with walleye.  Will they be scared off by a quick-strike rig or wire leaders?

I use "crossover" tackle a lot. Standard rig for walleye in pike water is a single #10 treble (short shank, 3x strong, black nickle) on the end of 18 - 20# stranded, uncoated (think thin and flexible) wire. I'll be experimenting with some 13# 7 x 7 strand this year and I think it may become my standard for these kinds of rigs. My biggest toothy (happened to be a musky) on that 20# wire was a 44"er.

Check the wire out. I can show you how to make foolproof, full test connections with no crimps or special tools. It's dirt easy.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2017, 05:49 PM »
I fish 3 different bodies of water 2 stained and 1 gin clear and find them not to be line shy , I do use a barrel swivel and a leader just for line twist
Soft water jigging it’s high viz power pro with a leader , and trolling straight fire line and shore casting high viz and leader , no need for steel leader for eyes , just my .02

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I fish 3 different bodies of water 2 stained and 1 gin clear and find them not to be line shy , I do use a barrel swivel and a leader just for line twist
Soft water jigging it’s high viz power pro with a leader , and trolling straight fire line and shore casting high viz and leader , no need for steel leader for eyes , just my .02

To clarify: He's targeting pike looking for bonus walleye, not the other way around.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2017, 04:40 AM »
To clarify: He's targeting pike looking for bonus walleye, not the other way around.
Sorry , I was just trying to stay on topic (are walleyes line shy)

Chute82

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I believe walleyes can be line shy.  Spring fishing i use fluorocarbon 6# test and my buddy using 10# mono right next to me using the same lures wasn’t catching a thing.  I caught fish after fish while he watched.  Told him his line might be to heavy, he went to a lighter line and caught fish. So yes eyes can be line shy

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Chute curious what type of fishing jigging , casting  etc

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2017, 03:26 PM »
Caught 1,000's on a 50 pound leader off the wall in port huron.. so I would say no their not line shy..

Chute82

« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Chute curious what type of fishing jigging , casting  etc

Jigging and fishing creek chubs off bottom..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2017, 07:40 PM »
OK, I already said it somewhere else but I'll say it again: Tailor your terminal setup to your primary presentation and take the rest as a bonus.

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:40 PM »
We've found the walleye here on Oneida aren't terribly line shy.  That being said, I use 6lb test fluorocarbon on most of my Walleye and Jack Perch rods.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:07 PM »
i use floro leader now, but as a kid, i use to have just the black dacron line right to the treble hook. and we caught plenty of eyes.

if they are hungry, they will eat.

just my opinion.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:39 AM »
It certainly depends.. put it this way, if i use heavier line or steel leaders, or your quickstrike rigs, i will catch walleyes. If you fish with me, the exact same spots, exact same times, and use say 3 feet of 12lb fluoro leader and a #10, and we compare notes after a few seasons, you will have more and bigger fish.

I run a few feet of 12 or 14lb fluoro leader to a #10 treble hook.. ive broke off several large walleyes using 8-10lb fluoro.. so, i up'd my leaders to 12-14, havnt seem much of a difference. And no breaking on those 10-13lb walleyes..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Breakin' off fish on 8 - 10# leaders? Musta been some hawgs. I can land fish that weight 3x the pound test of the line/leader I'm using. Routinely. No horsing and you'll get most of 'em. Unless it's a pike cutoff.

That said I do catch walleye on very light wire rigs.  ;)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Breakin' off fish on 8 - 10# leaders? Musta been some hawgs. I can land fish that weight 3x the pound test of the line/leader I'm using. Routinely. No horsing and you'll get most of 'em. Unless it's a pike cutoff.

That said I do catch walleye on very light wire rigs.  ;)

Hawgs? I guess you could say that. Bigger then the walleyes your targeting, im sure of that.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:51 PM »
All my main lines are superlines.  On stationary or very slow presentations like slip bobbing, or lindy rigging I use about 12-16" flouro leader on faster presentations I will tie straight to the rig. While ice fishing I usually always have a flouro leader on. After viewing walleye in the winter on a camera for many years I found that movement, sometime even the slightest will have walleye move off, not really scared but they move off.

Many time when the walleye are approaching the bait I do not move the bait at all, I think movement will flare them off before the line will but I still use flouro.  Sometime they will have to flare and take the lure three or four times before they take down my ice buster float  even an 1". Hot bite is different of course but slow is usually the norm in our area in winter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.