Author Topic: Atc tires and chains  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Captainpaddlefoot

• IceShanty Rookie
Atc tires and chains
« on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Have been using an atc in past. Did pretty much what I needed. I like how light it is.
I do want to improve traction and ability to travel on the ice.
What I gave is a
Honda 185
22x8x11 tires, in good shape, 4 lugs

Going to stud the front tire, any advice?

Can this type of vehicle use big,taller, tires

2 or four links chains, v-bar, is there any practical difference?

Thanks for your help.

Captain Doug
See ya on the ice,
Captainpaddlefoot (Doug)

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Atc tires and chains
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:57 PM »
hi,
no need to stud the front as the steering wouldn't be improved by much if anything. if you have access to a welder or metal shop they could do up a front ski to replace the tire or strap to it. V-bar chains are the only way to go. unsure about the tires, but as you upsize you'll loose fender clearance. Hope this helps :)

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:51 PM »
If you have an old bike chain kicking around let some air out of the tire and put the chain on tight in the middle. Then pump the tire up to max psi and you will steer like your on rails. It takes some trial and error to get the chain tight enough but I haven't had one fall off after a few test runs down the street. I do this on both of my Honda three wheelers if there is little to no snow on the lake, along with v-bar chains on the rear. I also run mud lites on the rear of both bikes.  My three wheelers go everywhere a quad will and with over sized tires you will float more in the snow

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2013, 03:35 PM »
hi,
no need to stud the front as the steering wouldn't be improved by much if anything. if you have access to a welder or metal shop they could do up a front ski to replace the tire or strap to it. V-bar chains are the only way to go. unsure about the tires, but as you upsize you'll loose fender clearance. Hope this helps :)

Changing the tire size will also affect your gearing, be careful not to over gear/alter your final drive and loose power in low.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.