Author Topic: Deep Creek Lake Ice Report!!!!  (Read 15803 times)

Offline woody1313

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fisherman
Deep Creek Lake Ice Report!!!!
« on: Jan 01, 2004, 08:41 PM »
I was out today. The ice ranges from 3 to 5 inches in spots. Green Glade has the most. It has 4 to 6 inches in the cove but no good ice really. It is all white ice anywhere u go. Lake Shore has about 3 inches of ice and its white also. Pardise Point has 3 to 4 inches of white ice. Turkey Neck has about 4 inches in the cove till it hits the main body. Pon Run has about 5 inches but it had a lot of slush on top of it. If u go after today u will probably need a plank to get on anywhere. I would say it might be slime after tomorrow it is rains. But we have good cold temps coming towards the end of next week. So anymore questons where the ice is good email me back.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Ice Update For Deep Creek Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 06:37 PM »
Took a look at the lake on the way home today, what ice we had before is entirely gone due to warm temps and heavy rain! However VERY cold temps is coming (already snowing here now, and temps dropping). The temp will not be past the freezing mark for at least next Monday according to NOAA (the forcast hasnt extended past Monday yet, so it may well be longer) Temps will hardly hit the 20's most of the week with single digits temps at night. Hopefully we can get some good ice out of this. Hard to believe I was on 5 inches of clear ice a few weeks ago, now its gone.

Freezin

Re:Ice Update For Deep Creek Lake
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2004, 09:10 AM »
Hey FDC,  How did you make out on the ice so far.  Have you caught alot of fish?  I would like to venture out there this coming weekend if safe ice forms by then,keep us posted !

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 07:23 PM »
Heres a couple pics from Dec21 outing, which I think was my first time out for the season.

Not a bad sized gill, when they are 2 hander sized ( that one measured 10 1/4 inches)

Also ice a few Yellow Perch in the 13 inch class like the like below:

The first few times out the lake was on fire, fish would show up on the Vexilar, and they hammered the jig. First time out I had a field day on gill, perch, and ice a few walleyes too. It seemed like the fish bite really slowed down as the temps warmed up. Id see fish come up to my bait on the Vexilar, but then just edge away. They seemed to be shut off as the ice was noisey (ice was making the groaning, bubbling raquet, like when it makes ice) Last week I was in the same cove the ice was cracking under my feet, but still 5 inches thick, and they fish seemed very turned off. Ideally id like to have ventured out of the spot and pop more holes, but when its not all the way froze, your limited on where to fish. Hopefully we will get ice soon again, its very cold outside now!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2004, 07:30 PM »
Scrolling up threw the recents posts I saw those super yellow perch and new those were posted by FDC.

Nice.

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re:Deep Creek/Garrett
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2004, 07:26 PM »
If your coming up to ice fish, Id forget it! The lake is mostly open, the real cold temps didnt do too much, because of winds! Most of the areas that had decent ice got wiped out by last weekends rain. However hope is coming. The winds are dead tonight, so hopefully it will help start a skim, and get things in motion. Looked at NOAA weather report for this area- no temps above freezing! Marsh Run coves is icing up but lots of open water patches. Id give it more time!

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:19 PM »
Yes, I checked. The entire lake is iced over, however, the newly formed ice is not that thick! The area I checked had about 4 inches in the back of the cove but a short distance out, were there was slick ice only 2- 2 1/2 inches! There were a few brave souls out on the clear stuff (other area of the lake), better them than me! As i checked the clear ice, i fired up the gas auger took a couple turns of the blade, a nice ice crack formed a long distance out, decided not a good idea to venture out further. I did ice fish the back of the cove, iced up 2 chain pikerels, and had one cut my jig off fighting him. The perch bite really seemed turned off. Just hard to move around when your limited in spots to fish. The area that was thick enough was not alot at all. I think things will change this week though with more cold temps coming. I really would like to hit main lake points, and drop offs, but cant at the moment.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:29 PM »
Careful on that thin ice man. Would not want you to fall thru before we are able to get out your way.!!! Save a couple of those walleye for us once you start getting into them. :'( :'( :'(  

Offline kathleen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:30 AM »
new to fishing deep creek. here in harford county with nothing much to fish as of yet. will someone let me in on the best spots to try in deep creek and when is safe for a newbie like me
just got back from fishing northern maine with lots of ice so disappointed with the home front
kathy

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:45 AM »
Kathleen, Deep Creek is a great lake and should be fished if you can get out there.  But, there are lots of lakes in PA that are closer to you that you can hit right now.  Bob's post above about Sheppard Meyer is one example and it's a nice little lake.  It's near Hanover just on the PA side of the MD line (about 2 miles North of where MD rt. 30 becomes PA rt. 94).  Also, Lake Redman near York should be fishable by the end of the week and is worth checking out.  There are several lakes near in Central PA a little further North too.  Purchase a PA Gazetteer and it will guide you to much fishing fun.  Use that and the information that you can find here and you're in business (make sure to check the PA pages on this site).  

Good luck and maybe we'll see you up there.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2004, 05:44 PM »
Hope to have good ice this weekend. Taking off Friday to make a 3 day-er out of it. Will split time between Deep Creek and High Point. I checked Blair Valley and Greenbriar on Sunday and they were not ready yet. I know it's gonna be  a long week!

Freezin

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:34 AM »
An ice fisher Woman WOW  ;D  I am probably going to Deep Creek this weekend, you could come along  !    8)  I could show how to get the big ones !

Offline kathleen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:37 AM »
yes, an ice fisherwoman!, lol.  my Dad taught me all he knew back in the old days fishing the creeks around Hart-Miller. i learned the old ways, so all these flags, augers, etc. are new to me. he chopped a hole in the ice with an axe and we jigged for awhile....no fish, new hole! he is gone now , but my love for him and what he taught me as a young one lives on. everytime i am on the ice i feel him standing next to me!
hope to meet some new ice fishing buddies and fish some new waters.
please keep me posted, thanks, kathy :)
kathy

Freezin

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 01:31 PM »
Guess I'd better take the dog if I want company   ::)

icefishnfool

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:56 PM »
I will give you a little company ....I am thinking of comming down saturday morning .....see you there. Mark Sirko

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2004, 12:00 AM »
Ben, I'm hittin' your home lake on Saturday!  Good luck in MD this weekend!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:37 PM »
 Got to get through one more day of work. Any one out this mid week?

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Deep Creek Is Looking good!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2004, 06:27 PM »
had an early day at work so I went scouting. Went to the South end, cuts some holes to check, about 6-8 inches of clear ice! Also ventured out towards the main lake area in the South end, average was 6 inches of clear ice. I went to Marsh Run cove and fished for a few hours, marked lots of fish, but they were very tight lipped. Did hook 1 dink perch. The game warden was out there, I atalked with him for a bit, he said most people were experiencing a tough bite today.Things are looking good as temps are supposed to stay cold for a good while. Get those rods, and shanties time to ice some fish!

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2004, 04:46 PM »
Fished the 16th and 17th at Mchenry cove. 16th was cold but I managed 2 walleyes and one perch. Sat looked like a primo walleye day with good cloud cover but I could only manage 3 perch. Ice conditions were solid 5 or 6 inches. Got to use my vexilar for the first time and it actually got frustrating. Seams like a fish or two in every hole will come up to check out the lure then turn around and swim away. On Friday I had a school of fish checking out a castmaster tipped with a minnow head but would not hit. Out of frustation I dropped a jigging rap down and had one come up four feet to hit it. I lost this one on the way up so I dropped it back down and   bam   another walleye. By the time I unhooked him the school was gone. It was kinda cool because that's the first walleye I've caught jigging through the ice.

icefishnfool

« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2004, 05:14 PM »
mr freeze .....it feels good doesn't it ......soon you will be selling all your tip ups , and becomming a JIG HEAD  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2004, 05:39 PM »
Got to keep a few rap's on hand. Don't forget the red yarn trick as well! Keep jiggin' em
It's time to go and I can't turn the ignition!

Proud 2 Be A Carp Fisherman!!!
www.carpanglersgroup.c om

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2004, 06:07 PM »
Mr. Freeze,

Dont feel bad about the Vexilar, I experinced the same thing all weekend, as well as a few other people I chatted with out on the lake. Lots of fish going up to the bait/lure and turning away. The fish were probably in a negative mood, nothing you did wrong. But the Vexilar does let you know the fishes mood, plus you got to break it in as well. It was defintely a tough bite this weekend, glad to see im not the only one. I did manage a few perch, and walleye over the weekend, nothing spectacular though. Lets hope the bite turns around!

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2004, 07:39 AM »
One things for sure. There are alot more fish in that lake than I realized!

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2004, 11:25 AM »
  How do I get my hands on a map of deep creek? I am in pa and planning a trip down. I have never been there so any pointers is appreciated also, names and locations of bait stores would also help. Thank you Bob G.

Offline woody1313

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fisherman
a lot of snow at deep creek lake!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2004, 02:37 PM »
I was out last sat. and there was about  a foot of snow and it was a pain to pull your sled in. We just got another 12 inches yesterday and calling for 18 inches so it is gonna be a mess out there. If your coming bring a snow shovel or snow moble to get to your place. But the fishin was great sat I had my limit of big gills and pearch. Also got some big crappie and thats unusal for me. I will keep you guys up on the snow up here.

Offline woody1313

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fisherman
fish are starting to turn on
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2004, 02:45 PM »
I was out sat and the bite is good. I fished from about 9:30 till 4:00. I could not get out till then due to all the snow. When I got there didnt mark many fish but I moved to another hole and they where there. So I stayed there the rest of the day. Me and dad got 43 out of the same hole so can camplain. We had our limit of them big gils. We had 7 crappie and the rest pearch. We didnt get very man pearch that was different. I might go out tomorrow depends on the weather. Well if anyone esle goes out keep me posted on the bite.

Cha-Chi

Re:fish are starting to turn on
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2004, 04:59 PM »
were  you on deep creek?

Offline kathleen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2004, 05:37 PM »
hey woody, where were you fishing?
kathy

jigmasta

« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2004, 08:21 PM »
I was out both days this weekend didn't have a whole lot of luck where i was fishing. I did manage to pick up a walleye and bass though which isn't something you pick up everyday. I didn't mark any fish in schools which is why the catch was down i'm sure. I am sure that there is a pile of snow on the ice now! Which will make for tough times pullin the sled, but a good day on the lake would easily make it all worth it. If it ever stops snowing i'll go fishing again and keep ya posted. Jigmasta

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2004, 08:30 PM »
WTG Woody . Seems the ice is forming nicely for the tournament.Took a little longer this year but looks like it's paying off now. Hope those fish are still around for ya when the snow lets up.
It's time to go and I can't turn the ignition!

Proud 2 Be A Carp Fisherman!!!
www.carpanglersgroup.c om

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.