Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: North Iowa Report  (Read 1647 times)

UP XPLANT

North Iowa Report
« on: Jan 08, 2004, 10:33 PM »
Today I fished Beed's Lake in the morning and Silver Lake in the evening.  Beed's was slow with a few small crappies.  Someone had cleaned a mess of 7"-8" fish and left the carcasses on the ice.  I doubt if there are many nice crappies in there from what I've seen.  Silver was slow until dark when the bottom came alive with perch.  I got a few nice ones, but I put back 10 teenies for every keeper.  Leave your Vex at home for this trip, the lake never gets over 5' deep.  Watch the aerator in the middle of the lake too.  It's open water for a 100 yard radius in the middle.  All in all, it wasn't a bad day.  Got a few tight lines anyway :D.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:North Iowa Report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:56 PM »
Is this the Silver in Palo Alto cnty? Ive heard of it but never fished it. Why do folks dump fish guts where everyone can see? I saw a guy dump fish guts in a state park and we got his license# and let the authorities know. He got an unauthorized dumping ticket and get this- no fishing license. Idiots.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

UP XPLANT

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2004, 10:36 PM »
     This is the Silver Lake in Worth County.  I've never fished the on in Palo Alto, but I've heard is is good.  I think there is also a Silver Lake in Delaware County.  One of the best trout lakes back home in the U.P. of Michigan is called Silver Lake also.  I guess there is only so many names to go around ;D.
     I agree completely on the illegal dumping.  This is not something any real sportsperson would do, an I commend you for taking action against it.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:12 PM »
Ok Worth county, I know which one. Yeah, I heard there are nice perch in there but its a lot of sorting. Theres a Silver Lake in Dickinson county also. Funny about that lake, it has tons of walleyes. But you got to catch 40 to get 5 nice ones.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

royalfish

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2004, 06:18 PM »
hey seagur,

I know what you mean about Silver (dickinson).  This spring was awesome up there though.  All I can say is don't do what everyone does up there.  Experiment on that lake and you might be surprised.  If you find the method I did you can catch 10 for 5 nice ones....and by nice I don't mean little 14 inchers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.