Author Topic: How deep is to deep for perch?  (Read 12294 times)

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
How deep is to deep for perch?
« on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Was wondering how deep some of you guys go? I usually fish betwwen 3 and 70 ft. for perch. On this one particular lake but the lake goes to 200 and I've read that perch like deeep basins. I've tried deeper and catch wimpy walleye around 3-6 inches but not many perch. I'm willing to to try it all.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: How deep is to deep for perch?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:58 PM »
I would look at the structure on the lake before fishing really deep.

I usually start on the deep weed edge for perch, and then as winter progresses,  I fish the first steep break into the main basin of the lake.
Hopefully,  the main lake basin is muck, which the perch like to feed in for blood worms and mayfly larvae.

I usually end up fishing this deep break, but I have never gone deeper than 40 feet for perch.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2010, 04:32 AM »
I usally fish at the 10 to 30 foot  level.    70 feet takes a lot of sin ker

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2010, 05:55 AM »
I have fished 50-60 feet alot for them, both in NewYork and Wyoming..   I beleive they like to go deep to get away from the big preditors that like to stay shallow
Don

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2010, 07:54 AM »
In MA & NH I fish from 4 to 15ft most of the time, with most of my perch 8-10ft.
Allan

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:00 AM »
will usually fish them from about 15-45.  our best spot, they are suspended at 30-35 ft over 90 ft.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:07 AM »
I have not gone any deeper then 40ft for perch, that does not mean they are not down there, just something I dont do

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Last year I found a bunch in 47 fow on Simcoe. Nice size & a hit as fast as you got your line back down. ;D
Have caught the odd perch in over 80' but they are few and far between & all have been small.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:43 AM »
I usually fish between the 10-30 feet zone, bottom out or suspended.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Usually either 2-6 FOW or 35-45 FOW. It all depends on the time of year, the lake and how the bite is. :tipup:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2010, 12:05 PM »
I usually fish 28ft. but have been to 40ft. with success.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Jigger,

the deepest I've fished them has been in Canyon Ferry at 62 feet in the old river bed, lots in the 30-45ft range...If I'm really huntin Perch I use my camera and I fish where they be....suspsended or on the bottom...

Offline father o millions

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2010, 12:32 PM »
I fish oneida lake Central NY are and I go no deeper than 40 -50 ft. But the lakes I fish are only that deep. I would start from the weeds and retreat when u don't get perch to the next flat 20ft 30ft and eventually 40-50,....I have never caught yellow perch deeper than 55ft,...Let me know how the perch bite is at 70 ft.  Good Icen'

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2010, 12:49 PM »
This may sound strange but I have never found perch suspended always on the bottom... Not that I am able to fish a lot but it is usually in 30 to 40 fow, but on the bottom. I also fish on the west side, never on the east side... Someday maybe.

Hey Neptune.... How have you been??

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2010, 01:17 PM »
perch usually hold close to the bottom as most of their forage is down there, when in really deep lakes i would look for structure on the bottom and start there. weed edges and rock piles tend to be best. i have the best success in my lake at about 20 fow in and along weed beds

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2010, 01:38 PM »
90% of the perch I fish for are close to the bottom.  The other 10% or so are like swimming from one island to another island sort of to say.  They are pretty much an open water type of fish, bigger and braver than most of the schooling fish.  They also tend to be very nice looking and no parasite black spots on them.  I will often mistake the marked fish as a crappie, cisco, or pike, but then it's a perch.  I don't understand this behavior, but I will fish for them when I see that pattern of them suspending.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2010, 02:15 PM »
This may sound strange but I have never found perch suspended always on the bottom...

Vexilar Entertainment System finds them suspended  ;D not always but when not on the bottom, I look to my handy dandy VES!!
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2010, 02:25 PM »
Funny thing is that I've caught perch just under the ice fishing over 60 FOW up in Kallispell, the water column will get loaded from the top to bootom with perch eating what the other perch puked up or just chasing there buddies. I'm assuming that they'tr eating whatever comes out of there buddies guts though. Some great perch fishing over in that area. As far as perch in 65 to 70 FOW I've had bucket days fishing that deep. I was just wondering about deeper because there is a guide in North Dakota claiming he catches pigs in deeper basins of 80 FOW and deeper. Personally like I mentioned, never had luck that deep and thought maybe I was missing something?
Live Free Or Die.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I have fished perch at over 70 feet down but the problem you run into there is that they need to almost hammer your jig to know that they are there and when you bring them up you have to keep almost everything you catch cause their air sacks pop on the way up unless you bring them up very slowly.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2010, 07:52 PM »
i have to be honest i'm blown away by what i'm reading.i fish lake george in new york mostly when fishing perch.the lake is 200' deep in spots and is loaded with perch.i'v never heard of any one catching a perch in more than like 50-55fow, i never fish deeper than 35-40fow i didn't think perch liked it much deeper than that.i can't believe you guys are catching perch at 70fow,that just amazes me

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:58 AM »
mealworm, back in the 90s when I still lived in upstate I fished a hole out off of cherry island in 60fow for perch and did rather well.
Don

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:12 AM »
The majority of the perch i catch are in less than 30 feet of water.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:16 AM »
30 ' works for me. ;D
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:21 AM »
We can catch them from 10ft to 75 ft at Boysen although there is no releasing them from that far down.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:29 AM »
In eastern Lake Erie, the shale extends out to 54 feet or so and the mud bottom begins. That is where we get our perch, on the mud bottom.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:54 PM »
i have tip ups 8 ft - 20 ft and jig at 12 ft

Offline Trav-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:17 PM »
30' always used to be the standard for me but we caught some dandys in 44 to 50' last year.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Many years ago I went out of Dunkirk in early April on a fish tug. We moved through the slush and broken ice out to 90 feet of water. That is where the Captain had his perch nets set and they held a lot of perch. During the ice times, the warmest water, about 39 degrees F. is on the bottom. But tht does not mean the dissolved oxygen content is good there, just maybe the spring thaws started and the oxygen levels increased with the flow of meltwaters.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2010, 02:42 PM »
40  feet but most times between 5 20.

Offline Waynesburgjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:10 PM »
I mostly catch them in 18-25 ft., but caught them as deep as 40 and got some real nice jumbos in 9 ft.  one year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.