The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wyo boys Electronic Preferences  (Read 3070 times)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Wyo boys Electronic Preferences
« on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Had the Vex Fl-8 (I think it is) for probably 6 ice seasons now. Used it a lot and loved it. HOWEVER, last year it started showing a false bottom when fishing in deep water for lake trout. Got very confusing before I figured out what was going on. I figured it's time to buy a new one and I might as well buy one that will do everything I need.

Except for my flasher I really have no experience on other flashers. Marcum seems to be ahead of the game in technological advancements but while researching them I found a TON of bad reviews. Bad Customer Service and cheap components.

Anybody have a preference on flashers that will do it all as well as having experience with their customer service just in case something does go wrong!?

Fishing around others in deep water for lakers I need a unit that will have a high interference rejection first and foremost.

Thanks guys for any input you might have. I could always roll the dice and order a certain brand/model but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wyo boys Electronic Preferences
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Have you considered if it may be a transducer issue?

I run a FL-20 and really like it. Have been thinking about upgrading to the FL-28 (I don't think the wife could tell the difference between the 20 and 28 - she can tell when a new rod shows up though!).  The 20 has an IR button to deter interference.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline Moosedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:12 PM »
I think the new Lowrance Elite 5 with chirp might be hard to beat for lakers at the Gorge.  The chirp is supposed to give great bottom separation.  The 4x I got last year doesn't zoom in enough for me and lake trout in 100 foot.  I use a HDS 7 in my boat and wish I had that on the ice.  I know those aren't flashers but I think a finder is better for Lakers.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:19 PM »
I have zero issues with Marcum's customer service. Vexilar is about as good as customer service can get. Humminbird has always taken care of me, but are way more sticky when it comes to paperwork. What price range do you have? Will you be primarily using it inside a tent or hole hopping? I agree that the transducer is most likely the issue. Try using one from a buddies on yours and find out.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Had the Vex Fl-8 (I think it is) for probably 6 ice seasons now. Used it a lot and loved it. HOWEVER, last year it started showing a false bottom when fishing in deep water for lake trout. Got very confusing before I figured out what was going on. I figured it's time to buy a new one and I might as well buy one that will do everything I need.

Except for my flasher I really have no experience on other flashers. Marcum seems to be ahead of the game in technological advancements but while researching them I found a TON of bad reviews. Bad Customer Service and cheap components.

Anybody have a preference on flashers that will do it all as well as having experience with their customer service just in case something does go wrong!?

Fishing around others in deep water for lakers I need a unit that will have a high interference rejection first and foremost.

Thanks guys for any input you might have. I could always roll the dice and order a certain brand/model but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say!

I often get a false bottom reading when I fish steep drop offs or in deep water where the bottom is not flat and uniform... humps and drops can give you a false reading.  It is pretty frustrating when it happens, my flasher even has a narrow cone mode that helps but...

Is your unit just going bad? Or is it like what I described?  Fishing drop offs?

I use a marcum LX-7 and highly recommend it.  Haven't had any troubles with it really.  Asking for an opinion on flashers is kind of like asking for an opinion on ford, chevy, dodge... you'll get loyal fans of all of them....

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:02 PM »
I bought the LX7 last year, I love it,I bought a open water transducer and put it on my boat for the summer. I used it beside a Lowrance 5X Pro that I had in the boat. The Marcum would pick up a Lakers a split second before it would show on the Lowrance. I have always used a graph and use it in the graph mode, tried the flasher for a bit and went back to the graph. Only complaint, sometime is hard to see in the direct sun.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Yeah, gemcityslayer covered it pretty well as far as I am concerned.  One big boulder can give you a false bottom. I have just accepted that and moved on.
 I honestly cannot speak about any other brand of ice fishing electronics other than Marcum and Colorpoint . I can speak on Marcum's customer service.  Last year, my lx5 , after years of faithful service, started to do some weird and noisy things. I contacted Mike in customer service. He asked me to send the head and the transducer back to them. I waited uneasily for a week or so. It showed up and there was not a repair bill.l called Mike, and he said that there is nothing owed. They replaced the motor and sent a new transducer. Plus they paid the return shipping ! I still cannot believe that they didn't make a mistake.
 Well, as I am writing this, a new lx6 is going to be in my arsenal before I start hitting the ice too hard next month.
 Again, I have absolutely no experience with any other ice unit's customer service. But I know where Marcum stands.   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Gotta agree with gem and er-e-is regarding the Marcum LX-7, seems to be a great unit and has worked fine for me.  I need to download the latest upgrade before I head out on the ice this season.

ClearCreek

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:49 PM »
I got the showdown because it was raved so much about.  Now after I have spent some time my next unit will be a Lowrance HDS5.  That way I can share all my GPS points on the boat and on the ice. 

Vex makes great flashers.  And they just work flawlessly for years.  They have been doing for a long time.
Don

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:37 PM »
Ooops, said I had the LX-7 but I have the LX-5... got confused ;)

It's a solid unit...

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2014, 12:16 AM »
Just purchased an LX-7 earlier this summer after some pretty extensive research. A lot of the issues (not that I came across many) were fixed with update the unit. If that didn't work contacting Marcum's customer service was the next step. All the research I did I never saw one bad thing said about Marcum's customer service. The majority of the reviews I saw were handled very well. Send it in, they fix it and send it back no questions asked. In all reality, out of the big three (Marcum, Vex and Humminbird) they all have had great customer service. Main reason I went with Marcum is the fact that tech-wise they are a head of the rest right now. Figured I wouldn't have to upgrade for a long time going with Marcum.

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2014, 12:25 AM »
Gem has got this covered looks like as far as what you had/have going on. I would try it again this year and see if it is still having this issue or if it was a fluke. I have the FL18 and love it! But this could turn into a ford vs chev vs dodge discussion pretty quick. All flashers and finders out today work well. I am for sure a VEX fan.
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2014, 07:54 AM »
I've been using the Lowrance x67c unit for about a decade now with no issues.  I love the different screens it offers (flasher, split, etc.) Battery life will last me a day/ day and a half being continually used all day and into the night.  Been thinking of upgrading to the Elite 5 in order to get the gps and downscan technology.
        As far as the customer service goes, I have never needed to contact them. But having said that, I have been told by people who have tried, they were difficult to deal with. Hummingbird and Vexilar were excellent when it comes to customer service.

Hope this helps. Happy fishing. ;D

Offline Wyosledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishin
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:13 AM »
 I have the lx 5 and I had  a motor issue which Marcum repaired very quickly .   I  learned to deal with the signals  when fishing steep drops and uneven bottoms. Never had a vex  but might buy one, I own a ford and a chevy  . I really like my Marcum and I just ordered a lure lightning to attach to it.   I am going to either get another flasher or a camera this year of some kind. Maybe  big sale somewhere tomorrow??

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:29 AM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=263710.0

Watch the video about how a transducer works and maybe have some insight as to what going on.

I have three Marcums two 5.6 and one troller. No troubles have had both big units sent in with quick turn around. I use the troller a lot when I'm looking and fishing in holes for a short time, works great. I've fished by most makes and models. Everything works well when you understand how to read the unit. I like a vertical display.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys. I knew I would get a lot of "loyal" support of one brand but in a way that's what I wanted. My flasher was showing bottom like 50 feet above where the flat bottom was. After I figured it out I could get through it to see the real bottom but then there was a "dead spot" for lack of better words on my flasher. If I chased fish up I would lose what was going on in that area due to 30 feet of RED. Same if a suspended fish came through. I had no clue it happened.

I'm glad everyone has had experiences with marcum's customer service. I may have stumbled across some old forum posts and things could've changed since then??? who knows.

Again, thanks for all the input.
Trent Williams

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:41 PM »
I have not upgraded my Marcum, there was a upgrade available shortly after I bought mine. There was some unfavorable reviews when it first came out so I didn't do it. It works so good now, I don't know if I will.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:46 PM »
I fished with a HDS12 on my recent striper fishing trip in Alabama. I WANT ONE! I have heard that the touch screen doesn't respond well in the cold.

Offline wyoicenut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2014, 05:59 PM »
I love my fl20. my brother liked it so much he went and bought one also.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:32 PM »
I now have three repeat three 5.6 marcums. I bought a older model and sent it in for the upgrade and they sent me a new one. If it was my older one I'm impressed. I gave up in red green and yellow. Its easy to read its bottom and top no questions. Thin to dark black line and due to communication to other flashers I've had no issue. So I'm staying with what I got and its easy to to give a unit to a freind or kid and not have to explain what they are looking at.
No one left behind.     

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:31 AM »
....and i bought the fl-12 last year. i have never been sorry i love this thing !!
I am haunted by waters...

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:27 AM »
What's up, Trent (and the rest of the gang).  Just ordered the Lowrance Elite 5x Ice Machine (I think it is designated) because of my past positive experiences with the Ice Machine x67 and it's precursors.  The new one is pretty slick-looking and has side-scan technology...  It's been a few years since I've had a good fishfinder, and I have definitely missed fishing with one.  I'll update after my first couple trips out with it this year.   :tipup:

Offline TightLineDreamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:18 AM »
I have used the hell out of my Lowrance Elite5 the past couple season and i love it. the GPS is right on and that eliminates the need for a hand held. you can also scroll back and look at your jigging pattern to maintain consistency on your bites.   i ended up getting and using 10ah battery that fits in the same spot but slightly taller and weighs a bit more than the 7ah that came with it.  the bag that comes with it is cool but the zipper tabs broke off and not very glove friendly but paracord fixed that. The New elite 5 chirp look very promising, but i have no major issue with my current set up.  its a great tool to have.  i also like my dads vexilar fl-18 but no gps

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:24 AM »
What's up, Trent (and the rest of the gang).  Just ordered the Lowrance Elite 5x Ice Machine (I think it is designated) because of my past positive experiences with the Ice Machine x67 and it's precursors.  The new one is pretty slick-looking and has side-scan technology...  It's been a few years since I've had a good fishfinder, and I have definitely missed fishing with one.  I'll update after my first couple trips out with it this year.   :tipup:

Welcome back BD !
How's things up north?    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Welcome back BD!
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:27 PM »

Holy smokes look who the cat dragged in ;)

My research is at all an time high since it seems no one is having any bad experiences with customer service like I had read. Now it's just figuring out which one would suit me best. I wish companies would let you "test drive" em for a few months :)
Trent Williams

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Hey trent, I picked up an LX-7 last year like most on this thread have. Been using it all over and I love it. I have not had it deeper than 60fow but the bottom has always been good. They dont joke about the 1/2in target seperation, It works!!  I had it out weekend before last on Henrys lake next to a  humminbird45, elite4 and prospectors lx9 with no probs. I like er-e-is have not upgrade to the latest version as I have no probs with mine and dont know whether I ever will. Thing works great just the way it is. Its a bit big for hole hoping and the screen is huge. My fishin buddies son thinks it a video game. Like others said this is a whole chev vs. ford vs. dodge kinda thing just thought i would give you my 2 cents on the marcum
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline tiny6969696

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:44 PM »
had the lowrance elite 5 took it back didn't care for it to much interference I picked up the vex flx-28 this thing is a dream machine love it so far first time vex owner and love it

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:24 AM »
My LX-5 can see a crawdad at 53 ft.   A TINY yellow line. 

It also sees fish buried in the weeds where my buddys FL-20 cant.

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:47 AM »
had the lowrance elite 5 took it back didn't care for it to much interference I picked up the vex flx-28 this thing is a dream machine love it so far first time vex owner and love it

My experience with non-ice fishing specific sonar is that they work great....until someone else starts using another unit within a few hundred yards.  Then they display a ton of crap from the interference.  I have had a Marcum LX-5 for the past 4 seasons, it works flawlessly even with other anglers using sonar nearby (or trying to).  Buddies with Lowrance and humminbird units (such as the ice machine) cannot use theirs, while I just tune out any interference. 

I prefer Marcum, but the Vexilar/Marcum argument is like Ford VS. Chevy...both are good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.