The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: 6 trout any size- comments?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
6 trout any size- comments?
« on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Whatta you guys think about the new regs. The reason I pay $104.50 to fish in WYO is to catch big trout.  I have had no prob with catching [email protected] inches
and 1 over 20".  Are the fish to get bigger or smaller? Why change a good thing?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 6 trout any size- comments?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:42 PM »
The way I understand it is that there wasn't much reason for the one-over limit to begin with. In Boysen when I did creel, almost every trout I measured was over 20". The result was some unhappy people that they catch one trout and then they were done. The trout in Boysen grow really, really fast, thus the large size. In Boysen the trout are there just for people to catch and keep, so the change makes sense. Now if we take Pathfinder, from what I've seen and heard, the vast majority of the trout are under 20", so the change doesn't really affect anything.
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Thanks for bring that up. Didn't know about the change until now.  I guess I don't have to worry about size anymore. I fish alot of desmit and catch alot of 15-20 so it doesn't really matter to me. 
No one left behind.     

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2012, 09:34 PM »
C&R only for me.
><{{{{*>~---

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Who eats trout? My delicate palate demands the flesh of a less fishy, toothed creature!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:36 AM »
I believe that we will see an overall decline in fish over 20''. I think it was the wrong thing to do. IMO

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:05 AM »
yeah but it looks like if you fish the streams that they are limiting the fish sizes there more, seems like a good thing for the guys that fish the canyon between boysen and thermopolis but I know some people that are mad that they can only keep three now with one over 16. So I think there will still be places for those big fish to be caught, just might have to go to different areas, and the separation for Lake trout seems like a good thing for the gorge but i do not fish it and was wondering from the people that fish it a lot does this help or hurt that fishery down there.  i think that it make sense but I am not the one that makes the rules, just the one that suggests and follows the rules.  Good luck to everyone out there and tight lines.

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:38 AM »
I think the smaller lakes with a lot of pressure we will see decreases in size.  I don't think that it will change the size of fish in some of the bigger lakes/reservoirs.  6 is very generous - it would take me months to eat that much trout.   I don't keep very many and this won't change what I keep but I can worry less about how close to 20" they are.

s

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:18 AM »
I don't think it will hurt most lakes if people keep six big trout if they can catch em.  These days I think for every trout angler who harvests there are probably double at least who C&R.  Even with the rule changes I don't think too many anglers will be really taking advantage of bringing home 6 large fish every trip.  Most people will keep smaller, better tasting fish or they will only keep a couple of bigger fish.  Just my opinion.

As for me, I let go all trout over about 15".  Sometimes I'll harvest trout smaller than that in waters I feel could use the harvest.   I reluctantly eat trout because it is abundant and good for ya.

Also note the change to river trout bag limits.  It changed too. 

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Who eats trout? My delicate palate demands the flesh of a less fishy, toothed creature!

You nailed it bud ;)

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Every year that passes I meet more and more C&R trout anglers. Most fisherman in this state see trout as an oppurtunity to keep the kids or wife busy while the real fishing is going on. Don't get me wrong I like catching big ones as well, but just like 98% of what I catch goes back.

Offline Ize

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Catch and release into butter I say! the non-native orange fleshed fish!  For me it is every fish I eat God (or the game and fish) replaces with another  :), some think it took millions of years to somehow evolve into that location  ???  So I keep and enjoy and they release  ;D  Besides I cannot seem to smoke enough for everyone to rob from me :-\
If ya dont find em at least you can eat ur minnows!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:32 PM »
Funny stuf, Ize.  Those orange slabs grilled with a little teriyaki and garlic are freekin' heaven.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.