The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Why do some work so hard  (Read 3455 times)

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why do some work so hard
« on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:17 AM »
Why do some work so hard at ice fishing? This is not a question about the hobby but actual work so hard at it. ??? I drove down by the lake this afternon and was watching a guy close to shore drilling holes. From where I was at it looked like he was laying on the ice but he was laying on top of his auger. Toes barely touching the ground and he was working as hard if not harder than the auger. I know it was dull as he!! blades but by the time he was done drilling, I imagine he was sweating like a dog and already wore out. Now I am sure we have all done it but is not knowing or is that we are to cheap to buy new blades???
Thought it was kinda funny because just a few years ago that was me leaning as hard as I could to get that hole punched and come to find out all I had to do was buy $25.00 worth of blades and life got a lot easier!
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Why do some work so hard
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:19 AM »
I second that, new blades make all the differnce in the world!
Fish tremble at the sound of my name

Offline dahuletts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:47 AM »
I had that happen to me a few weeks ago.  Had brand new blades on the power auger but the sucked, cut one good hole and everyting after that was a total struggle to say the least.  Tried the trust manual auger and its blades were less than ideal.  70 miles from home we didn't want to bag it just like that.  We were able to fish, but just not nearly as mobile as we anted to be.

Few things are worse than augers with dull blades.
Fried eggs, hash browns, and a cup of joe.

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:05 AM »
We all have probably been there at least once.went fishing and had some trouble with the auger in one way or another but I know exactly what you are saying.We have witnessed somebody laying on there machine or even getting 2 or 3 guys on it and weighing it down to cut.we watched a guy at Pathfinder derby lay right on top of his with his feet dangling and when it went through both him and the auger went all the way down,he rolled off it ,jumped up ,grabbed his machine,looked around to see if anybody was watching then moved on to the next hole and did the same thing again.A little bit comical,but  you do what you got to do.LOL
Randy

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:22 AM »
We all have probably been there at least once.went fishing and had some trouble with the auger in one way or another but I know exactly what you are saying.We have witnessed somebody laying on there machine or even getting 2 or 3 guys on it and weighing it down to cut.we watched a guy at Pathfinder derby lay right on top of his with his feet dangling and when it went through both him and the auger went all the way down,he rolled off it ,jumped up ,grabbed his machine,looked around to see if anybody was watching then moved on to the next hole and did the same thing again.A little bit comical,but  you do what you got to do.LOL
Randy

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline wforbes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:48 AM »
I just got a new auger at christmas but the blades seem extremely dull already. I have been thinking about buying new blades but i have been hesitant in the fact that these ones are still way new, has anyone else had this sort of situation with the new jiffy augers?
hammer em bud!!! :tipup:

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:20 AM »
I just got a new auger at christmas but the blades seem extremely dull already. I have been thinking about buying new blades but i have been hesitant in the fact that these ones are still way new, has anyone else had this sort of situation with the new jiffy augers?

Depends a lot on the ice you are fishing. If your fishing somewhere where there is dirt and sand blowed on the ice it will dull your blades quick.

Offline Squirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:26 PM »
How would Sand and Dirt stay on the ice? When I fish the wind is usually blowing so hard I can barley get my hut to stay on the ice, let alone a little sand. ;)

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:37 PM »
How would Sand and Dirt stay on the ice? When I fish the wind is usually blowing so hard I can barley get my hut to stay on the ice, let alone a little sand. ;)

No Kidding,some of the winds we been having are bad.I fish Pathfinder alot and through the years its been very hard on auger blades.Youl find sand pockets in the ice there alot.I pack a file with me just in case.we usually have 2 augers with us too.
Randy

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Dirt one the ice will get a blade real fast. I used to carry a real fine toothed file with me then I baught a sharpener just for the jiffy blade and it works real good. the only problem is you have to take the blade off to sharpen it, but I have spares with me. I use 50 plus minnow traps and a dull blade is not fun. M.G.

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:57 PM »
If anyone has some blades that need sharpened PM fishsmith he's a master bladesmith and he'll sharpen em right up for ya.

Good to know ;)

Offline NINERDAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:10 PM »
OUGHT TO FISH BUF BILL WIND BLOWS SO HARD WE HAVE ROCKS IN THE ICE ::)

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:22 PM »
I have the eskimo turbo cut and the blades suck. Never been good, new blades helped 2%. need to switch to the quantom type. good power head, suck, suck blades.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2011, 08:36 AM »
I have the eskimo turbo cut and the blades suck. Never been good, new blades helped 2%. need to switch to the quantom type. good power head, suck, suck blades.

I use augers with the "chipper" type blades.  I carry a small fine file and NEVER deal with dull blades.

Never buy new blades anymore either! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Ize

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:58 AM »
Diamond sharpener or file! keep your angle correct and the point needs to be sharp also.  Sand blows on the ice and melts in on warm days and it gets in snow and that melts and becomes ice.  I have two auger attachments for my head and if the sand is on the ice I use my old one.  I learned as a kid to treat your blades like gold, use your blade cover and I have never wasted any money on new blades.  I just sharpen them and have at times had to shim my blades to get the correct angle into the ice (musta bent something).  Hand augers need much sharper blades than a power auger but a power auger will not cut well if the angle into the ice is wrong.
If ya dont find em at least you can eat ur minnows!

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:19 AM »
If you guys have an interest in seeing a list of auger blade sharpeners, such as fishsmith, added to the "Info" thread, pm me. Or any other service for that matter.
Thanks,  MM

Offline wyobrink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2011, 03:06 PM »
Dull augers=No good and yes way way too much work.  Another suggestion:  If you don't want to buy a nice gas powered auger, go with a 6 inch hand auger rather an 8 inch hand auger.  When you compare the hole size (Diameter Squared/4)*Pi you get a hole 56% of the 8 inch hole size.  In other words you end up moving 44% less ice.  Makes a huge huge difference.  I can drill through 6 inches of solid ice almost as quick as an 8 or 10 inch power auger can.  Regardless keep the blades sharp.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2011, 03:11 PM »
I know what you mean.  I went to a local lake today with 5 gallon bucket, jig pole, vex and auger.  One of the guys leaving the ice, could have used 5 sherpas because he had so much gear.  I just don't get it.  I fish to get away from work, not create it.  Then, he drove down the road about a mile and was getting ready to unload again @ the same lake!  I got tired just watching him.   :cookoo: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: ;D ;D

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:17 PM »
well I called eskimo today and they gave me a discount on the quantom shaft, oddly they really want me to send the turbo cut shaft back in, on my dime. The guy said he doesn't even want it out there in the market. The turbo cut has been discontinued for two years, they say because of sales. I think they know they are junk. also ordered a new trigger assembly, and complained that i had to repair a leak in my gas tank this season. spent 103.52 today plus original purchase of like 279.00+ 1 set of new blades 35.00= should have bought a jiffy to start with. :%$#!:

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Hump, you will love that quantom shaft.  Mine rips the ice up. 

I could tell you were working it hard at the mountain cause yours was not cutting very well.

Where did you pay $35.00 for a set of blades, I got a spare set for my 10" from sportsman for like 25 bucks
Don

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:45 PM »
well I called eskimo today and they gave me a discount on the quantom shaft, oddly they really want me to send the turbo cut shaft back in, on my dime. The guy said he doesn't even want it out there in the market. The turbo cut has been discontinued for two years, they say because of sales. I think they know they are junk. also ordered a new trigger assembly, and complained that i had to repair a leak in my gas tank this season. spent 103.52 today plus original purchase of like 279.00+ 1 set of new blades 35.00= should have bought a jiffy to start with. :%$#!:
You will LOVE your auger after you put on that quantum!!!!! And will still have spent less than a jiffy. ;D

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:47 PM »
jopes, the turbo blades are like ten bucks more right off the eskimo web site.

I hope I get the shaft before saturday. That sounds bad  ::) Have a manual for backup anyway.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:15 PM »
I will be out there on monday if you want to go then.   I will be more than happy to drill holes for you.  ;)
Don

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I love my eskimo. It usually starts after a couple of pulls and it still has the same blades it came with. You just have to be careful with where you drill holes cause sand kills them. I hate using it at pathfinder for that reason.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:44 PM »
Sounds like a guy I fished with a couple of times.  I was amazed at how much stuff he had packed onto his sled and how much it weighed!!!  He would then procede to drag that monstrosity of a sled onto the lake and I was hoping he wouldn't have a heart attack!! 
I know what you mean.  I went to a local lake today with 5 gallon bucket, jig pole, vex and auger.  One of the guys leaving the ice, could have used 5 sherpas because he had so much gear.  I just don't get it.  I fish to get away from work, not create it.  Then, he drove down the road about a mile and was getting ready to unload again @ the same lake!  I got tired just watching him.   :cookoo: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: ;D ;D

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:57 AM »
A chipper blade auger is the only way to go.. The 8 Jiffy lated 30+ years and I only changed blades 4 times.  I bought a stike master with the lazer blades and they drilled great but did not stay sharp and I did not get them sharp on my own like I did with the chipper blade. I sold it and got the 10.25 chipper balde auger and after two years I poliched the blade back to razer edge in 3 minutes.  I will never have any other type again
olefish

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Had a power auger once and it wouldn't dig for anything! I think the prior owner was digginng post holes. What I wouldn't give to have that Techumseh head back though. It ran like a champ. So I've heard both sides of the eskimo likes and dislikes? Anyone else want to weigh in as a buddy has one for sale.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:38 PM »
wyotoach, how old of a eskimo is it? 

I just got my Eskimo back in December, and I really like it.
Don

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:17 PM »
Jopes, I'm guessing from when he was in the mountain states that it is less than five years old and only used one season. I'm just wanting to know what everyone thinks before I buy a used one instead of sinking money into this one.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:19 AM »
my take on the used augers.  Say you pay 100-150 for it, and then find out they seller didn't exactly maintain it very well and the carb is all gummed up.  Then your sinking money in it for a new carb and what ever else it needs. 

I spent $400 for my Z71.  I knew it was new with warrentee if any issues came up it would be taken care of.

On the flip side if it is 5 years old I beleive it will have the Techumseh engine on it?
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.