Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2019  (Read 63314 times)

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2019
« Reply #210 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Geez, Mow, that is one expensive Chisel accident.  Sorry to hear this news.

Thanks! an expensive one for sure!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #211 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Well Marcum is charging me for a new camera/cable. $230 plus the $50 service charge to just "diagnose" the problem. Hmmm a cut wire needs a diagnosis? Oh well, they have you over a barrel. Get the vaseline out and make it hurt as little as possible! :P :o :'(
Hard to believe a company that sells ELECTRONICS cant splice a few wires...I guess I should be happy that they didn't need to send it back to China for a fix...

Mow that sucks it is not easy splicing those wires. Is there a tin foil around any of them this can be used for ground. I would use AstroGlide instead of Vaseline a little more expensive but worth it in the end.  :pinch:

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Mow that sucks it is not easy splicing those wires. Is there a tin foil around any of them this can be used for ground. I would use AstroGlide instead of Vaseline a little more expensive but worth it in the end.  :pinch:

LMAO! I’m not familiar with these newfangled sex lubricants!  ::)

Yes there is a foil shield but there was also a bare wire that I spliced as well. RED GREEN BLACK ORANGE WHITE and BARE Were the colors and I couldn’t do anything with the foil but it works as is so hopefully it will be good.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #213 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Hope it all works out for you.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #214 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Curious... what data are you getting from your Marcum - is it just video or do you also get other information (depth, temp, etc)?

Glad you were able to fix one of them - $230 is painful for sure.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #215 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Curious... what data are you getting from your Marcum - is it just video or do you also get other information (depth, temp, etc)?

Yes, depth, temperature and you can set for salt or fresh water ( don’t know what the difference is) and of course brightness, color, etc. you can have these displayed on screen or choose to have just a picture with no data.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:04 PM »

$230 + $50 diagnosis fee and $22 return shipping! Plus my cost to ship ($26)  Very painful. Almost like buying another camera...

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #217 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:13 AM »
$230 + $50 diagnosis fee and $22 return shipping! Plus my cost to ship ($26)  Very painful. Almost like buying another camera...
Yea that really hurts...
The additional data explains all the wires.. good luck with the one you repaired..

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #218 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:53 AM »
1/7/19

Took a ride out with Psycho and Tippin. The lake is frozen up and no water. Must wear creepers.
All holes that were open are now frozen as well.

On other topic, prior to the season starting I took my augers to Dags for servicing. The Eskimo propane auger I have would not start. The guys at Dags immediately knew what the problem was, a bent valve and said it was a known problem w Eskimo propane auger. They would work w Eskimo and try to get me a replacement power head. I had to provide the sales receipt which was no problem as I bought it from cabelas and they have every receipt from everything I’ve purchased from them it seems. This was in Dec I dropped it off. Dags (Kevin) and I have been in communication during this time.
Yesterday I got a call from Dags and my replacement new power head is in.
Gotta say THANK YOU DAG’s!!! Best auger repair shop around in my opinion. Long ride but we’ll worth it. Plus they have a ton of stuff in their shop.
I can have it shipped to me for $80 or go pick it up. I’d love to take the ride back up but it’s fishing season....either take a day off (not fish) or go during the weekend (not fish) this is  my delima. Looks like I’m having it shipped!
If your having problems w your auger, do yourself a favor and go to Dags. Best to call ahead and schedule some time. Nothing against anyone around this area who do repairs but Dags has never let me down over the years.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #219 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:00 AM »
mowbizz, sorry to hear about the camera cable and the replacement from Marcum.
Sounds like they’re using broken glass as a lube on you.  :'(

Stop by any time to see what I made to fix this problem. You know where I’m at.
I’ve been there w chiseling the cable, it’s painful. Sorry man.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #220 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:08 AM »
1/7/19

Took a ride out with Psycho and Tippin. The lake is frozen up and no water. Must wear creepers.
All holes that were open are now frozen as well.

On other topic, prior to the season starting I took my augers to Dags for servicing. The Eskimo propane auger I have would not start. The guys at Dags immediately knew what the problem was, a bent valve and said it was a known problem w Eskimo propane auger. They would work w Eskimo and try to get me a replacement power head. I had to provide the sales receipt which was no problem as I bought it from cabelas and they have every receipt from everything I’ve purchased from them it seems. This was in Dec I dropped it off. Dags (Kevin) and I have been in communication during this time.
Yesterday I got a call from Dags and my replacement new power head is in.
Gotta say THANK YOU DAG’s!!! Best auger repair shop around in my opinion. Long ride but we’ll worth it. Plus they have a ton of stuff in their shop.
I can have it shipped to me for $80 or go pick it up. I’d love to take the ride back up but it’s fishing season....either take a day off (not fish) or go during the weekend (not fish) this is  my delima. Looks like I’m having it shipped!
If your having problems w your auger, do yourself a favor and go to Dags. Best to call ahead and schedule some time. Nothing against anyone around this area who do repairs but Dags has never let me down over the years.

Glad your auger issues worked out - need to keep that collection of yours in top shape. Actually thought you had a Jiffy propane and not an Eskimo...
Shipping costs suck, but between the lost of fishing time - work time - and fuel cost... probably the way to go.

Glad the lake is in good shape in preparation for the upcoming weather.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:09 AM »
mowbizz, sorry to hear about the camera cable and the replacement from Marcum.
Sounds like they’re using broken glass as a lube on you.  :'(

Stop by any time to see what I made to fix this problem. You know where I’m at.
I’ve been there w chiseling the cable, it’s painful. Sorry man.

Thanks! It’ll be a bad memory in a week...
I thought you were a K-drill man? What happened to that setup?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #222 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Just got an update from Marcum “our technicians have repaired your VS825SD and it is being shipped back to you”
Ha...should have said “techs plugged in a new camera/cable”
I hope they bench tested it before shipping... :o

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #223 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:03 PM »
These companies don't make anything anymore, it's all contract manufacturing from East Asia, so they don't even know how to splice/solder a cable. They just charge you a boatload and ship you a new one. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the whole thing is brand new even the head in a sealed box. It's pathetic but that's how these companies often work.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:20 PM »
These companies don't make anything anymore, it's all contract manufacturing from East Asia, so they don't even know how to splice/solder a cable. They just charge you a boatload and ship you a new one. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the whole thing is brand new even the head in a sealed box. It's pathetic but that's how these companies often work.

I know...camera even has a "made in china" sticker right on it. Marcum should be ashamed to call this a "repair"
My fault though and lesson learned.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #225 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Jiggin, you mentioned Dags to me a while back, and I'm sure the ol' Jiffy will need a little TLC before next winter, so I might have to make the trek.

I have friends in Saco and Camden, so I want to try to take a long weekend this fall for visiting. It might be a little longer of a weekend if I want to plan a trip to Dags as well. It cuts into our busy season at work, but I'll put the request in anyway. Apparently I'm the only one there who doesn't want time off in the summer lol.

As a matter of fact, I took a day on Monday to hit a local pond. I was overdressed in 2 layers, and I got the telltale face and hands tan, so they would have known I was lying if I called in sick.  :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #226 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:14 PM »
Glad your auger issues worked out - need to keep that collection of yours in top shape. Actually thought you had a Jiffy propane and not an Eskimo...

Actually I have both, an Eskimo and Jiffy Propane. Been using my Jiffy Propane this season so far without too much problems. I need a new spark plug for it and can't seem to find an Autolite 4290 Plug around this area. Should of checked AJ's when I was there last. :(

Got 5 augers, (not sure why, just came upon good deals and couldn't turn them away):
Jiffy 3.5 Hp Gas 10" (beast)
Jiffy Propane 10"
Jiffy 3.0 Hp Gas 10"
Eskimo Propane 10"
Strike Master 8" (got this one for free from a magazine....Field Tester). I use this one as a loaner but get it maintained each year.

Every Dec, I bring them to Dag's for servicing. I never want to be without an Auger although I have several sharp Chisel's too.

Dag's loves me and I love them.

In addition I have three Nils 4.5" & a 8" and a K-Drill 8" (really a 7.5"). The K-Drill I use for portable and early ice otherwise I use a 10" auger.

Biggest fear I guess is getting to the lake and not being able to cut a hole......I admit I have a problem and need to attend a 12 step program, First step is to come to grips with it. Second step is to drill a hole and start fishing.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #227 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Actually I have both, an Eskimo and Jiffy Propane. Been using my Jiffy Propane this season so far without too much problems. I need a new spark plug for it and can't seem to find an Autolite 4290 Plug around this area. Should of checked AJ's when I was there last. :(

Got 5 augers, (not
sure why, just came upon good deals and couldn't turn them away):
Jiffy Propane 10"
Jiffy 3.0 Hp Gas 10"
Eskimo Propane 10"
Strike Master 8" (got this one for free from a magazine....Field Tester). I use this one as a loaner but get it maintained each year.

Every Dec, I bring them to Dag's for servicing. I never want to be without an Auger although I have several sharp Chisel's too.

In addition I have three Nils 4.5" & a 8" and a K-Drill 8" (really a 7.5"). The K-Drill I use for portable and early ice otherwise I use a 10" auger.

Biggest fear I guess is getting to the lake and not being able to cut a hole......I admit I have a problem and need to attend a 12 step program, First step is to come to grips with it. Second step is to drill a hole and start fishing.
LMAO,  you are not alone, I'm "DOWN TO"4 I've got rid all the hand augers, but still have a Jiffy  1 armed bandit,a Jiffy 10" 3.5 Hp a Jiffy 8".2 hp. And the 8" ion that is my go to , I had an old 10" mora T handle man killer, I had a 8" Strike Master,a 6" mora cup style  and a 8" nills, I donated those hand augers and about 50 tip ups and alot of "stuff"to the local boy scout troop
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #228 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Yes, Jiggin said he uses some PVC for his...I'll go check out his system next time I see him out there...

Im fishing tomorrow mowbizz. If I don't see you, I'll send you a picture.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Im fishing tomorrow mowbizz. If I don't see you, I'll send you a picture.
I would like to go out tomorrow for a partial day anyway. I think my "Flex Seal" rubber cable coating will be ready. Definitely, if you don't see me send the pics please and thank you!

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #230 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Late report, had a blast bantering with the circus members last weekend. I'm sorry if my buddy's name upset some of you (allteninches). I'm gonna be up there for the weekend, tomorrow looks neat... I will be sure to keep in touch. I'm making a batch of chocolate chip cookies if anybody wants to stop by and have some...

Offline CheapHooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #231 on: Feb 08, 2019, 04:33 PM »
To all fishing for the Meredith derby, good look to you. We’ve arrived and are in position in the northwest corner. Swing in if you’re in the area.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:39 PM »

Got 5 augers, (not sure why, just came upon good deals and couldn't turn them away):
Jiffy Propane 10"
Jiffy 3.0 Hp Gas 10"
Eskimo Propane 10"

LMAO , I too was hooked on too many augers but after an intervention I was able to get down to 4 ! :)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #233 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:40 PM »
2/8

Came out early today to bump the house to get a jump before the wind sets in. Raining out but no wind. Water on the ice.
Late morning the sun came out, warm 47f and still no wind. Ice is getting soft. Loved it.

Saw one of the largest lakers I’ve seen on camera. Kept picking up my chum. Wouldn’t touch my jig nor smelt on the motorvator then swam away.
Not long, he shows back up with 3 of his little buddies. He had one go after my smelt. Caught him.
He then has the other one hit my jig, caught him.
And the other one hit the new smelt. Lost him.
The big one swims off.

Then the winds came in. 0 mph to 7 to 14 on up....saw 33 mph gusts. Water starting to freeze up. Time for the creepers.

Left the lake to get a haircut and when I got back I decided to check Tippin’s house. Going by the point, noticed Lush’s house was next to shore. Odd cause he had it over at the ledges.

Checked Tippins house and gave him an update. Just off the blocks but fine. He comes out and we fix it. All good.

Drove by Lush’s house back to mine, time to cusk fish.

Sat down, changed my jig set up for cusk. Right away felt weight and that tug. Set the hook and brought up a big cusk head into my hole. Instead of getting down to get it, I had flash back of tweaking my back, decided to lift it with my line.  As soon as his complete head was out of the water, he flailed his gills, shook his head and popped the hook. I watched him sink down the hole backwards what seemed like in slow motion back to safety.

Went to NFC FB page to post about the cusk and Lush had posted his house was gonzo.
LMAOF, it came undone and went from the ledges across the lake. Parked Nicely next to shore. They came and dragged it back across the lake, dem boyz r crazy. Lol.

Wind gust got up to 38 mph and moved my house almost off my blocks. I went out and pushed it back on the holes. I’m sure there’s a little extra in my laundry for CH.

one house I know of tipped over. Some others blown off blocks etc and Lush.

So here I sit writing this still in my bobhouse not really siked to leave. Don’t want to stay either. The wind is loud and the walls are moving. Wish the cusk would bite.

Good luck to those fishing the derby. Hard day for portables tomorrow. It’s suppose to be worse in terms of winds and most likely glare ice.
Be safe.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #234 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Sounds crazy out there Jiggin! You have joined the skid mark derby!  ;D

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:11 PM »
I'm all bummed out I can't travel to my spot this year via sled, didn't even get a derby ticket. Good luck to all in the wind tomorrow.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #236 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:44 PM »
2/8

Good luck to those fishing the derby. Hard day for portables tomorrow. It’s suppose to be worse in terms of winds and most likely glare ice.
Be safe.

That's what I have...a portable...ugh...got all twelve stakes and ropes ready to go....it's the best I can do but I'll manage....I hope lol :-\

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #237 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:31 PM »
1/9/19

WOW!!! The wind today was bad. Troutfreak recorded at 64 mph as the high gust.

I got 2 lakers, lost 2 and so far 1 small cusk.

Laker Taker had a good day catching 15 lakers. Now fishing for cusk.

Some brave folks out there today. Tip my hat to you.

Offline CheapHooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #238 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:33 PM »
We toughed it out till about 3.  One 19” rainbow, one 21” cusk, handful of smalls cusk, and 2 lakers, 21” and 23”. Cusk lines reset with some monster shiners tonight.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Well the Marcum is back from its trip to the Midwest...I got the second one fixed and waterproofed...now to resume ice fishing!
Jiggin I built a couple of PVC “chisel proof” cable protectors...thanks for the idea! I also made a couple of panner stands out of some buckets to place the panners above the cable protectors. Should be slick as snot as the panner will no longer freeze into the hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.