New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cazenovia question  (Read 859 times)

Offline Jay_Holmes

• IceShanty Rookie
Cazenovia question
« on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Hi everyone,
Me and a buddy are planning a day trip down to Cazenovia Lake next week in search of chain pickerel. We don't have them here in Ontario and so we're looking forward to catching a new species.

If anyone could recommend some good (safe) access points to the lake within walking distance to some weedlines, it would be much appreciated :)

Jay

Offline travis9791

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cazenovia question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:27 PM »
I don't know about cazenovia lake;  but if you are into catching pickerel you should try perch lake near watertown or big bay on oneida lake. both are full of them. I think perch lake is the better of the two. no matter where you choose check the ice reports conditions board before going. The weather is going to be warm this week. perch lake has the best chance of holding good ice.

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:34 PM »
based on the predicted weather this coming week you may want to wait a few more.  I have never fished caz, but have caught many pickerel on Deruyter reservoir and also Cayuga Lake.
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:37 PM »
No Pickerel in Caz...no Crappie either...nice try ;D
AW

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:40 PM »
When ive fished the Riddeau Chain in Ontario the locals called walleye pike, pickerel.   Chain Pickerel is an entirely different species.
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline smerry018

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2013, 02:43 AM »
There are chain pickeral in Caz I have caught them before.  Just wait a little longer supposed to get up to about 50 later this week and the ice will be mostly gone more than likely another 2 weeks or so should be good

Offline otiscolake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:24 AM »
Hi everyone,
Me and a buddy are planning a day trip down to Cazenovia Lake next week in search of chain pickerel. We don't have them here in Ontario and so we're looking forward to catching a new species.

If anyone could recommend some good (safe) access points to the lake within walking distance to some weedlines, it would be much appreciated :)

Jay
deruyter lake is only 13 miles east of cazenovia and is full of pickerel. access from the south end and you can
walk out .

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:13 AM »
Deruyter is the pickerel lake around here. You can go out of the south end and catch one every 10 minutes all day long and some nice sized ones as well.  We fished for them with tip ups and minnows last year and were just plain wore out after 4 hours of running.

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

JayIts almost 50 degrees here today i'd wait

Offline Jay_Holmes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Thanks for advice folks.
Got Perch and DeRuyter loaded into the GPS as alternative options. Just checked the weather and it looks like we'll be postponing our trip for a short while.

Jay

Offline skowalski250

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Where is the best place to get on caz lake?

Offline mikemc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:30 AM »
There's a small parking lot on the south shore. There are other places, though I don't know where they are.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:36 AM »
There are two public access points on Caz; the south west corner, and the north east side.  Check them out on Google Maps.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline skowalski250

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will check it out somtime.        Is it fished alot?  or is it worth trying?

Offline rklaft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:52 PM »
 i would follow the advise of above poster, caz is not really full of chain pickerel, big bay or deryter res have a better population, i have fished perch lake and caught more northern than anything else. The access point on the north east end is a state owned point with limited parking spaces so timing is important.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:59 PM »
It does get fished a lot, especially when there is no ice in the Flantland ;D
It is a large private lake, but it does hold some quality fish...give it a try sometime...
AW

Offline skowalski250

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Thanks for the info guys @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.