Poll

what gets you around the best on the ice and why

ATV/ 4Wheeler
58 (62.4%)
Snow Mobile
35 (37.6%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Age Old Question....ATV or Snow Mobile  (Read 12828 times)

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The Age Old Question....ATV or Snow Mobile
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2008, 02:42 PM »
4 more inches of snow here and 4 wheelers will be obsolete. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:36 PM »
The plow barrons have not been out making roads yet, Id bet allot of it will blow off or pack down. The only time the drifts get too bad is when they get road making crazy.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:12 PM »
If I can only have one Id take the 4x4.   

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2008, 11:46 PM »
I'd go with a quad. You can pick up old sleds, that are good for ice fishing, for less than $500

Offline MXZ500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:02 AM »
I,m surprised no one mentioned an Argo with tracks

http://argoatv.com/recreational/performance_detail.aspx?x=IhccC06Qkio%3d

Offline Aquafirma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:59 AM »
My 1984 Honda Big Red has seen 25 years of action and has never let me down! ;D

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:52 PM »
I ride a 1986 Honda Fourtrax 250 2WD and am going to sell it on the spring for a long track sled. The quad is alright if there's only a few inches of snow, but get anymore than 10" and you're stuck following in everyone else's tracks, really puts a damper on exploring a new lake, or one that see's heavy fishing pressure. That being said, the sled will only be a temporary thing until I can afford my Argo Avenger 8x8 as mentioned by MXZ500  ;D
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:20 AM »
I've never fished with someone with a quad until this last weekend, first when we got to the lake they had to put heaters to their engines to start them, then one guy with us had a homemade ice shack made of wood and it was heavy, I pulled it out with my snowmobile (440cc, with 1 3/4" long track), one guy sat on my sled and three others sat on the shack, no way the quad would have pulled that. Other then taking it slow I could have made 3 trips out onto the ice pulling stuff out a mile before the quads.

Oh i did see something cool, a small suv with tracks, I'm sure you could get all that for less then 5k

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Right now, with all the snow, I'm in a decision making mode - track for my wheeler (@3gs) or a sled.  It's getting closer to the sled.  ;D

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:19 PM »
They claim you put more track to the ground with atv tracks then a snowmobile. I've seen wheelers with tracks riding on several feet of snow and pulling some narely loads on you tube with out skipping a beat. I've never seen em' in action live but the videos I've seen have me sold. I have an 800 outlander and have talked to the dealership who claims the downfall is that there more of a low range use. You start tearing across the lake in high with a set of tracks and you start tearing axles up - you could beef em' up by getting a set of gorilla axles. I'm looking for something to explore the sloughs of the Mississippi around Iowa while pulling my Thermal and a 100 lbs of gear and I'm not fully convinced a sled will run over the stuff I may need to run over to get me where I want to go to try and catch those black slap crappies. I've dropped my wheeler through the ice once all ready this year and will say that if the ice is a little shady my opinion is you'll be best off on a sled. My 2 cents.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:48 PM »
I agree, the tracks can give the quads some impressive flotation on the soft stuff, the draw back is they require a lot more power to turn, and that puts more strain on your whole drive train, every clutch, belt and joint from the crankshaft all the way to the axle hub. A lot of power is used up bending the rubber tracks and turning all the bogey wheels and running it over the sliders (on some models) compared to tires. Thats why you loose top end speed. Upgrading the axles will help, but it'll just expose the next weekest link, usually a friction clutch or belt drive. The belts are normal wear items for sleds, but a lot of quad guys are surprised at how much faster they wear out once they put the tracks on. Either set-up has it's trade offs, just depends on which ones you're comfortable with.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline PhatboyC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:31 AM »
Remember all, the question is not if I can only have one. It is which one to go ice fishing with.

For me it's snowmobile hands down. If you want to travel the lakes a bit to get to a new spot, or quick ride if the fish aren't bitting, atv are to slow in the fluff.  I'm sorry but atv is not all year round. For the past two years come mid December there's already to much snow anywhere for atv's. Unless you go in the atv trails or plowed ice road. Personally I prefer to make my own trail. ;)

For the ones who says snowmobile are tow fragile to go in the woods well you must see this. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHJZXGS0zM&feature=related

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:48 AM »
ATV  year round use. Snow or not. rain, sun, mud, dirt, pavement bare ice......
;

Offline sageur

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2009, 04:25 PM »
After having my first wheeler this year for the ice fishing season I have come to the conclusion its not that easy of a question to answer except both is the answer.
Depends on where you live I guess. Where I live the snow in the past years have lesson a lot and wheelers do great. But 100 miles north this year no way a wheeler is gonna do the job even the sleds were having problems on some lakes with snow depts and slush this year.
If the ice is tipping move to the center

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:28 PM »
if there is enough snow that you cannot ride an atv the snow is probably pretty dang heavy on the ice anyways.
l

surflizard

« Reply #45 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:05 AM »
Because of the lack of snow here in NH, I sold my Polaris Indy 440 sled 4 years ago. The most snow fall we've had in recent years was 12"
I picked up my Polaris explorer 400 last year and it's made a hugh difference for us. Now we fish all over the northeast.

icewagon

« Reply #46 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:15 AM »
In Pa its all pull by hand ,but were tough in PA   :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex:

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 11, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Both, depends on the snow conditions and where I am.
If I am up north at my parents. I will use the sled(98' indy 500) since I can ride the trails right to the lakes I want.
If I am at home I normally use the atv(94' sportsman 400).

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 11, 2010, 08:32 PM »
I just have a atv, works fine for me.  But if the snow gets deep, I just hook up with my friend who has the sled.

icefishingluva
Let's fish it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.