The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: 3 tip-ups coming soon or any combination  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Guycanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
3 tip-ups coming soon or any combination
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:27 AM »
Michigan anglers will have several new opportunities, but also will face a new restriction, because of fishing regulation changes approved at the Nov. 6 Natural Resources Commission meeting in Lansing.

Department of Natural Resources Director Rebecca Humphries signed fisheries orders that extend the spearing season through the ice for pike and muskellunge in certain waters, extend the whitefish spearing season on the Great Lakes and connecting waters, allow all anglers to use three rods, and establish a two-gallon limit on smelt.

The spearing season for pike and muskie will now run from Dec. 1-March 15, instead of just January and February and the whitefish spearing season will now be open year-round. The new seasons are the result of legislation enabling the DNR to set spearing regulations. These regulations take immediate effect.

Anglers have been allowed to use three rods when fishing for salmon on the Great Lakes for a number of years, but were restricted to two rods elsewhere and when pursuing other species in the Great Lakes. A survey of anglers showed overwhelming public support for three rods. The new regulation, which takes effect April 1, 2009, allows anglers to use three rods on all waters and in pursuit of all species, though the DNR retains the authority to reduce the rule to two rods if necessary.

The two-gallon limit on smelt, which historically have been unregulated, is designed to prevent waste during periods of high abundance and offer some protection to smelt as an important forage and sport species. The limit applies to both dip-net and hook-and-line anglers. This new regulation also takes effect April 1, 2009.

For more information about fishing in Michigan, visit the DNR Web site at www.michigan.gov/dnrfishing.

What do you guys think.

Offline a1angler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 3 tip-ups coming soon or any combination
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:41 AM »
Three lines ice fishing will be cool.  With a limit on catch I don't know what difference it makes how many lines you use to get your limit.  Gov. want to control though.  Nature of the beast a guess.  With that said,  three lines is going to potentially suck on the pier when the salmon are being fought and caught.  Its tough out there sometimes as it is.
"FISH!"

Offline Out Door Man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:52 AM »
3 is better than 2. atleast heading out pan fishing you will be able to put 2 tip up in the water. that going to be awesome even if i have to wait till next year to do it.

DUDE,SWEET, YOU CAN WALK ON WATER

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:36 AM »
To bad you don't know what you are talking about. These changes were requested by a small group of fishermen, who had the supporting documents, a bill was written and went to the house to be signed. Nothing to do with PITA or the Government wanting to control. This is a very good example of letting the people make changes for the better.

Three lines ice fishing will be cool.  With a limit on catch I don't know what difference it makes how many lines you use to get your limit.  Gov. want to control though.  Nature of the beast a guess.  With that said,  three lines is going to potentially suck on the pier when the salmon are being fought and caught.  Its tough out there sometimes as it is.
Bruster

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:54 AM »
3 is better than 2. atleast heading out pan fishing you will be able to put 2 tip up in the water. that going to be awesome even if i have to wait till next year to do it.
Thats what I am looking forward to. 2 tip ups out while I jig. Could get a little pricey though useing all those minnows.

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:54 AM »
To bad you don't know what you are talking about. These changes were requested by a small group of fishermen, who had the supporting documents, a bill was written and went to the house to be signed. Nothing to do with PITA or the Government wanting to control. This is a very good example of letting the people make changes for the better.

Maybe next time,  read the entire quote so you would know what he was saying, before telling people they don't know what they are talking about. Yes, they gave us an extra rod.  The point that I picked from his quote was, 2 rods or 3, doesn't make a big difference with a daily bag limit.  Also, more control, they put into effect a 2 gallon smelt limit.  I am not saying that any of this is bad, I just hate seeing people read half of what someone said, and then tell them they don't know what they are talking about 

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Maybe next time,  read the entire quote so you would know what he was saying, before telling people they don't know what they are talking about. Yes, they gave us an extra rod.  The point that I picked from his quote was, 2 rods or 3, doesn't make a big difference with a daily bag limit.  Also, more control, they put into effect a 2 gallon smelt limit.  I am not saying that any of this is bad, I just hate seeing people read half of what someone said, and then tell them they don't know what they are talking about 

I read the whole post, Maybe you should read mine again. The point I picked up from the original post was this is 1 more thing the Government wants to control. These regulations came from a small group of involved fisherman, not suits.
Bruster

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Ditto, 53andout!!!
The 3 rod experiment for salmon/trout the big lakes showed that there wasn't an "over harvest" and that the regulation might be worth while for all fishers on the rest of Michigan's waters.
Soooo, we all benefit by having extra opportunity!

The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline BIG RED

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Real men Ride Clydesdales
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:20 PM »
3 rods or 30 who cares if the state has a limit on the catch? it should have been done a long time ago.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:20 AM »
FYI
The DNR experiment showed most guys on the big lake used an extra line once they were out away from the harbor.
So the thought was the 2 line rule was antiquated as other states with multiple line laws didn't show any records of harm being done to the resources.
The daily limit is the key not how many lines are used.
I like the idea of the extra line. It makes me feel I'm getting a little more bang for my buck, so to speak.

tight lines
GD

Offline fishlight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I don't know about you guys but I allready using three lines. I say the law is in effect!!

Offline Guycanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:09 AM »
This is form the Ohio DNR website.

ICE ANGLERS may use holes no larger than 12 inches in diameter. In Lake Erie ice anglers may use holes no larger than 12 inches in width. Ice anglers may not use more than 6 tip-ups and 2 rods per person. All shelters and tip-ups must display the name and address of the owner or user in English lettering.

I almost think that it's a little to much, on a day when the pike bites hot you would never stop running.  :tipup:

Offline BIG RED

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Real men Ride Clydesdales
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:25 PM »
We have seriously violated the two line rule @ times, but we ( partner in crime ) always release everything, so I could care less about the damn rules.  Its not like we are carting fish of the ice, i would welcome 6 rods 12 rods 30 rods who friggin cares. JUST FISH AND DON"T KEEP MORE THAN THE FRIGGIN LIMIT.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:35 AM »

The point I'm making is just that.
Keep a limit and no more.

GD

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Can't believe anyone on this site would advocate violating any fish/game law.  3 lines for ice fishing takes affect April 1, 2009.  Pretty simple.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Can't believe anyone on this site would advocate violating any fish/game law.  3 lines for ice fishing takes affect April 1, 2009.  Pretty simple.

Look at some of the posts, he's not the Lone Ranger. :embarassed:
Bruster

Offline rustyw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:10 PM »
3 lines will be great in the winter. 2 tip ups and a pole is like perfect.... Now in the spring when the Steel start running the piers... Look out! Piers will be a nightmare next year.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Like I said in a previous post, there are those among us that have to "over" limit.
These folks just aren't successful unless they've raped the resources.
We all know someone like this!
It doesn't matter if it is the number of devices used or quarry they catch.
I viewed one post that someone placed that called a bass a big perch. In another, I saw where someone was advocating using pet gold fish for pike bait.
Again, who can figure?

I never advocated using more than the legal number of lines or taking the legal number and species of fish.

GD

Offline tubebait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:17 PM »
I think that the 3 rod law will be good and have very little if any effect on the resources we all treasure.  The daily limits are set for a reason and like i read others say, we all know someone who just cant be happy unless they catch their limit and have fish pilled into their freezer. 

Sense we are talking about new regs, consider this

I think that a good regulation for the dnr to implement would be the use of slot limits for species such as pike and walleye.  For example legal walleye could be from say 13 -20 inches and an angler could keep one 'eye over say 26 or so if they chose too?  A lot of the breeders get taken out when the best fish for the table are the 18 inchers.  I dont claim to be a fish biologist, but this has always seemed like a good idea to me, as it would allow older trophy fish to live and spawn. 

Let me know what you think, and possible problems/outcomes???

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:31 PM »
This is form the Ohio DNR website.

ICE ANGLERS may use holes no larger than 12 inches in diameter. In Lake Erie ice anglers may use holes no larger than 12 inches in width. Ice anglers may not use more than 6 tip-ups and 2 rods per person. All shelters and tip-ups must display the name and address of the owner or user in English lettering.

I almost think that it's a little to much, on a day when the pike bites hot you would never stop running.  :tipup:
So where's the problem?

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:09 AM »
I'm going to love it for spring walleye.  The one spot I fish is hardly enough room for one person with two rods but there always seems to be that person who wants to hone in on me when I'm down there and cast over my lines.  Now this third line will be able to fill that gap and allow me to enjoy my spot...yeah yeah, I know it not MY spot, but hey I like relaxing when I fish and not worry about unwanted company.  As far as steelheading, never fished the piers, only rivers.  The only reason I take two rods to the river is for a back up...all I can picture on the piers is the low water at tippy...lol
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:01 PM »
Most of the time when I fish 'gills I only use 1 pole, and that's all I had time for today. The Perch usually get 2. We always catch Pike when we fish Perch so it would be nice to put a tipup out to keep the pike busy with a easy meal. Either way it don't make any difference to me.
Bruster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.