Author Topic: Anchorage area ice fishing help  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anchorage area ice fishing help
« on: Feb 03, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Hey, this is my first post in a while cuz all the lakes here opened up but now they are about safe again so my ice fishing passion is being renewed. Anyway i am goin up to anchorage for a week and want to to some ice fishing between monday and friday (goin to the kenai for a weekend). Unfortunately i probably won't be able to bring all my gear and my transportation will be limited to rides from others since i am not old enough to rent a car and won't be able to bring my own. I was wondering if there is anybody who rents ice fishing gear especially big items such as sleds and augers. I would also like any recomendations for any lakes near anchorage that have good fishing for salmonids or pike and if any of those lakes have ice hut rentals.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Re: Anchorage area ice fishing help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2005, 05:25 PM »
KC,

best I can tell you is you can try Jewel lake for trout, and Lower Fire Lake for trout and pike.  As for renting equipment, I know of no place in Anchorage.  Three Rivers Fly and Tackle in Wasilla rents gear (augers at least). 

Icy Mike

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2005, 01:20 PM »
I have no clue about this but would think a Guide/Outfitter would be the ticket.
They would usually provide everything from equipment to food and lodging as well as transportation to and from the game arena.
All you should need is a pocket full of money and warm clothing.
You said you were too young to drive but you did not say anything about finances.
Surely there are Guide/Outfitters ready, willing and able to accomodate a rich, young fisherman.
If you have the means then give this some thought.
Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2005, 03:10 PM »
Hey KC,

forget hiring a guide.  I have NEVER seen or heard of a guide for ice fishing within the anchorage bowl.  Here is my suggestion- call some of the local sports shops in Anchorage before you leave Kodiak (i.e mountain view sports, Sportsman's Warehouse, - heck... call fish & game in Anch).  They can give you an idea about what lakes are producing and with what bait/lures.  Simply bring along an ice rod and tackle.  Go to the lake and look for holes already drilled where the fishermen have left of moved on.  Or ask an angler to drill a couple holes for you.  I have drilled holes for kids and other guys that had auger problems.  Never met a stuck-up fisherman on the ice yet.  I have met a few that were too drunk to approach, but even they were more than likely friendly.

Icy Mike

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2005, 04:10 PM »
IcyMike, Sad to hear there are no Guides up there. Your suggestion is a great one if jigging is at all productive up there.
After giving it a bit more thought, I figured, HECK, the kid is an Ice Shanty member so I would hope some other member would just invite him along.
If he was comming to my area here in NY he would be welcome to join us for the day. It sure would not be the first time we took the kids fishing and I always enjoy watching them have a ball, catching fish. Actually think it is more fun then catching them myself.
Customs may be different in Alaska but I kind of doubt it and any hard water fisherman worth a darn has a few extra tip ups or what ever you fish with up there.
Hang in there Kodiak Camando, you could get lucky and do a tag-a-long.

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2005, 09:46 PM »
Let me say i am old enough to drive but can't bring my car up and the driving age for your own vehicle is different than driving a rental. I don't have to worry about finances because i am tagging along with my father on a business trip and he is to busy to fish. I appreciate your input gamalot and would love to tag along but would not want to put anyone on the spot. I have been icefishing a lot on kodiak but have little experience in the anchorage area so calling for reports is probably a good idea especially cuz i have only found one ice fishing outfitter but they don't guide long enough.

I will be staying very near the UAA campus icy mike, how far is it from there to the lakes you mentioned. Also is the campus lake any good or should i shy away from it?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:17 PM »
KC, I figured since you were old enough to have a car but too young to rent one that you must be between 17 & 20. Old enough to hook up with strangers and do some fishing weather they be guides or just regular guys.
I guess I also kind of figured since everyone from here wants to go to Alaska on a guided hunt or fishing trip that this would be quite easy there. Guess again!
Like I said, I have no clue about the area and was just giving you the options I would try. I used to be between 17 & 20 and would do just about anything to get to the fishing so I know what you are saying and trying to figure out.
If all else fails and you are likely to go back on another trip then I would use this trip to get with guys your age in the Ancorage area who love fishing as you do.
Next time it will be a sinch and you can hang out with friends doing what you like.
Again, If I was there and going, you would have a fishing buddy for the day and you could call me Gramps.
Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Gary

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2005, 01:28 AM »
I do have some peers up there but they are pretty busy. We all love fly fishing but i am the only one who really enjoys ice fishing.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:46 AM »
Same here! Lots of buds to go fishing with in the spring, summer and fall but few in the winter. I am getting to enjoy being out on the ice by myself and catching all the fish. Friends only want to come after they see the fish I catch and then if they do come and don't catch fish right off then they want to go.
I usually just hook up with guys that are there who love ice fishing.
Good luck.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2005, 12:26 AM »
KC- 

the reason there are no icefishing guides in Anchorage (that I know of) is because there is no money in it.  The money lies in places like Kodiak halibut and salmon, Kenai Kings, and Copper River Reds, etc...  It is surprising how few icefishermen there are up here.  Very little pressure in the winter on most lakes.  I would very much enjoy picking you up and taking you out to Big Lake for some big dollies, but I am not able to commit to the time (wife, church, kids, work...).  I have not fished many of the lakes in Anchorage.  Jewel lake is closer to the airport than the UAA campus.  Fire Lake is north of Eagle River.  I still suggest you call Fish and Game in Anchorage or go to the state web page and research their lake maps.  The maps are somewhat detailed. 

Icy Mike

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:43 PM »
LOL! Well this was first posted back on Feb. 3 2005 so I suppose he is back home, has his drivers license and probably a couple kids by now.

Good info though and I sure would love to take an Alaskan Adventure off my bucket list one of these days.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.