The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New Eskimo auger bit for cordless drill?  (Read 4622 times)

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Eskimo auger bit for cordless drill?
« on: Sep 02, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Been hearing rumblings of a possible auger bit for the 18/20V drills to compete with the KDrill, anyone else hear or know anything?
"Balance in all things"

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Eskimo auger bit for cordless drill?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2018, 12:03 AM »
If they make it in 10" it will be extremely popular!!!!

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2018, 11:36 AM »
I'm listening........  :tipup:

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Following this one.  Was just about to buy an 8" hand auger for that specific reason.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Been hearing rumblings of a possible auger bit for the 18/20V drills to compete with the KDrill, anyone else hear or know anything?

An honest 8" would be a big plus, not 7½" as the present k-drill is. 10" would be too difficult for most drills. 9" might be a good compromise.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2018, 06:57 PM »

I could see something like that......I could see Eskimo putting it on the Ion electric units has the new ION Z or something.

I'm no fan of the old IceGator head units, but I think the guy was onto something with the 9.5in auger bit he came out with. I'm suprise some company didn't buy the rights to just that 9.5 in auger and sell them.

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Supposedly it is a faster cutting bit than the K-drill. I would have thought they would have announced it already. I know some sporting goods stores are supposed to have their first order of them arriving in 2 weeks. Really can't believe the lack of marketing.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2018, 07:17 PM »
Supposedly it is a faster cutting bit than the K-drill. I would have thought they would have announced it already. I know some sporting goods stores are supposed to have their first order of them arriving in 2 weeks. Really can't believe the lack of marketing.

Wonder what they will retail for.....$250 for a 7 1/2 in Kdrill is just to much IMO. Hope it's a solid auger with a guide point and sells for $150 or under.

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2018, 07:29 PM »
It is priced well under that of a k-drill. In the ballpark of that 150-180 range is what I have been told.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2018, 07:31 PM »

Their marketing is really asleep.
Last year there were reports on Facebook about a IT (insulated top) model of one of their hub-shelters. With all the state fairs out there in (IceFishing God's Country) seems there would be more info leaked about new products. Probably due to the products are all coming from over-there.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2018, 09:05 PM »
I've heard it referred to as the pistol, this is what I could find, the price point seems outrageous, hopefully a misprint.

https://www.peaveymart.com/8-Eskimo-Pistol-Auger-P19818.aspx
"Balance in all things"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I've heard it referred to as the pistol, this is what I could find, the price point seems outrageous, hopefully a misprint.

Lmao.....$329 **censored**. It's a flat blade shaver at that.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2018, 11:49 PM »
Looks like Up North Sports had it on their website at one point but took it down. I was able to find a cached version of the listing though, here's a screenshot:

And the description:

ESKIMO PISTOL BIT ELECTRIC AUGER

The Eskimo Pistol Bit is undeniably the best power drill auger accessory available. Its high- strength polymer flight sections and cutting head keep the auger lighter than the competition while maintaining their integrity in sub-zero temperatures. A hexagonal aluminum inner tube keeps the auger flight sections oriented correctly and transfers power to the cutting head e f ciently. The Pistol Bit also cuts faster and smoother thanks to the two replaceable flat steel blades.

Features
Engineered nylon/polymer flite - Keeps the unit lightweight while maintaining flexibility and impact resistance in cold temperatures.
Hexagonal, aluminum inner stem shaft - E f ciently transfers power from drill to cutting head.
High-strength polymer cutting head - Reliable performance in all conditions. Aggressive design cuts through ice quickly and smoothly.
Replaceable steel blades - Dual flat steel blades o f er smooth cutting and break-throughs and can be replaced.
Bit-saving top plate - Included polymer top plate is slightly wider than the auger flight so you can cut with confidence knowing that you won’t lose your drill or auger down the hole.
Compatible with high-torque, 1/2 inch chuck cordless drills

WEIGHT - 2.75 LBS
WARRANTY - 1-YEAR LIMITED
AUGER LENGTH - 40”
CUTTING DIAMETER - 6”
BLADE STYLE - DUAL FLAT
DRIVE SIZE - ½ ”

Definitely looks cool!

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2018, 11:53 PM »
And they still have the replacement blades on their website for a 6" and an 8". Doesn't appear to be a 10" option, at least that I can find.

https://www.upnorthsports.com/Category/Category.taf?q=eskimo+pistol

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Nothing that a $40 hand auger can’t do. All I see when something like this comes out is marketing towards ice anglers. Nothing new. Nothing innovative. I think the K-Drill is an over priced joke. Much like any other “drill specific” auger. Things like this remind of why I went with a drill setup to begin with. To use my already owned Lazer. I just don’t see the point really. For that price you could get Lazer and a Clam Plate.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2018, 08:08 AM »
K-Drill overpriced? Yep.

Joke? If you could get a reasonable price point, not so much.

Are there faster? Probably.

Lighter? Nope.

I think the aluminum shaft construction is game changing. As far as the polymer flights, I guess I'll see. I can be pretty hard on some stuff and cold doesn't help durability of anything. For my money the K would be a lot more competitive for $75 - 100 less and the offering of a larger size.

No one has a perfect drill. Yet. I think there is an evolution afoot though. Give it some time...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Nothing that a $40 hand auger can’t do. All I see when something like this comes out is marketing towards ice anglers. Nothing new. Nothing innovative. I think the K-Drill is an over priced joke. Much like any other “drill specific” auger. Things like this remind of why I went with a drill setup to begin with. To use my already owned Lazer. I just don’t see the point really. For that price you could get Lazer and a Clam Plate.

I think the only reason people do a k-drill is because the unit has a guide point and a chipper style blade to reopen holes......does it make it worth $150-$200 more then a mora flat blade.....I'd agree with you that the k-drill is an over priced auger. The only reason they sell is because there is no other option for an auger with a chipper blade & guide point on a drill setup.

What blows me away is how there is basicly 4 types of blades on the market,(chipper, shaver/chipper hybrid, shaver, & curved shaver blades) yet people brag up certain brands. There truely isn't much difference in most augers besides it being one of the above types of blades. Simply just pick the blade type u need/want.

I was hoping that this new Eskimo pistol auger would be something more along the lines of a chipper/shaver hybrid with a guide point, but it looks to be a basic shaver style type of auger with a guide point. I get they used light materials, but at the price point they want I'd rather use a mora hand auger and have a machine shop put a guide point on the mora. I mean a mora on a drill is light a little less weight isn't worth it IMO.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2018, 07:38 PM »

Lighter? Nope.

A mora bit is lighter than the kdrill..

The kdrill is not light in my opinion..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2018, 08:41 PM »
A mora bit is lighter than the kdrill..

The kdrill is not light in my opinion..

<°)))>{

I was talking about the new Eskimo pistol

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 05, 2018, 08:50 PM »
I was talking about the new Eskimo pistol

Good chance it's ligher than the kdrill..

<°)))>{

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 06, 2018, 03:14 PM »
Supposed to come in around 3.25 lbs, I think the KDrill is over 5
"Balance in all things"

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2018, 04:54 PM »
K-Drill overpriced? Yep.

Joke? If you could get a reasonable price point, not so much.

Are there faster? Probably.

Lighter? Nope.

I think the aluminum shaft construction is game changing. As far as the polymer flights, I guess I'll see. I can be pretty hard on some stuff and cold doesn't help durability of anything. For my money the K would be a lot more competitive for $75 - 100 less and the offering of a larger size.

In the final analysis each year for the last 3, K-Drill has been sold out around early February.
K-drill works and everyone who owns one loves them. Not many for-sale used.
It's like going out to eat and the choice of NY strip @ $14.95 or the RibEye @ 39.95 or this PrimeRib ConductersCut for who knows how much.

Leave Some For Seed

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Couple more pics from the folks at Kabele's here in Spirit Lake:

MAP prices: $169 for 6" and $219 for 8"

I was set on picking up a K-Drill for this season but now this is another option to consider.

I wonder if their flat shaver blades would catch/bind more at the bottom of the hole. Not having to worry about that would be the only advantage the K-Drill offers for me.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Sep 13, 2018, 03:54 AM »

Looks like 329 CDN.  what's the exchange rate?

Jason

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Supposed to come in around 3.25 lbs, I think the KDrill is over 5

K-drill weighs 4Lbs 11oz with cold-snap blade cover, 3lbs 14ozs ready to drill with no blade cover.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Sep 14, 2018, 07:02 AM »
Couple more pics from the folks at Kabele's here in Spirit Lake:

MAP prices: $169 for 6" and $219 for 8"

I was set on picking up a K-Drill for this season but now this is another option to consider.

I wonder if their flat shaver blades would catch/bind more at the bottom of the hole. Not having to worry about that would be the only advantage the K-Drill offers for me.
Shaver blades shouldn't catch at all. I was going to buy a 6" Nero this year. I have a 6" Silvertip and will try it out before making the plunge on the Nero.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:09 AM »
SportsmansGuide is selling these with an availability of 9-24-2018.  6"and 8"
<===Lefty===

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I wanna hear about this in a 10" version! Want to see what the cost is.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.