Author Topic: Battery Powered Ice Auger  (Read 2284 times)

Offline old truck guy

• IceShanty Rookie
Battery Powered Ice Auger
« on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:05 AM »
Looking to buy a battery powered auger. Opinions for Trophy Strike or Ion auger, I've read reviews but I'm sure this site would be more honest.  ;D

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Battery Powered Ice Auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:25 AM »
Looking to buy a battery powered auger. Opinions for Trophy Strike or Ion auger, I've read reviews but I'm sure this site would be more honest.  ;D

Got a Trophy Strike this season.

See my review of the unit here:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=354995.0
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline rilobsterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Get yourself a K-drill auger with the Milwaukee drill goes thru ice like butter.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Ion.3 yrs now no problems 20" Ice 30 holes.Dont have any experience with other electric ones but not too many bad reviews of ion.Its also upgraded from the one I have for basically same price with different cutting auger and bigger battery.I'll never go back to gas.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:29 AM »
I got a strikemaster 40v lithium 8inch woth extra battery.

Best auger i have ever owned.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I bought an ION 8” early december, ive drilled 60+ holes a week with it lately that been through 15+ inches of ice, it cuts like a dream i cant say enough good about it ! Which means it will probably break next week lmao...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Wisco007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:02 PM »
I just got a Trophy Strike 120v last week and used it, finally, today. It worked fantastic. It cut through 16 inches in 10-15 seconds. The switches are in a convenient place. I like the reverse for flushing the hole, although I think most electrics have reverse as a standard now. I read as much as I could about Ion, Strikemaster, Razr, Trophy Strike, and even the Jiffy 'Lectric. All seem pretty competitive, but settled on the Trophy Strike because of a few examples of good customer service I saw here and other reviews, the lack of poor reviews, the weight, and the convincing performance I saw in a few videos.

Although it's pretty anecdotal, the fact that I saw more used Ions for sale gave me a feeling that either something better came along or the performance waned quickly. I would think you'd be happy with either. I think you'll only be limited if you want something other than a 6" or 8", since I can only recall Ion having the 10" at the moment.

Cheers,

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:19 PM »
I also considered the Trophy Strike, rather new tech on the 120 volt. Bought the Ion X8, proven tech. Maybe not as fast as the 120, but it's hardly a life or death matter. A few seconds longer to punch a hole? In reality, it doesn't really matter, does it?  If you were making money with it, different story.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:54 AM »
I have not read a single negative review of the ion. I am dying to get one.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:30 PM »
No complaints on the ion from me on my third season,it's not fast like some but it keeps punching holes whenever I want it to.

Offline Yoopergirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice chicks DO exist!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Love my IonX 8inch!  I don't think we would have done as much hole hopping with the 20+ inches of ice we have this year without it!

I think there are prob a lot of first generation Ions for sale out there since the X came out.  The originals didn't have the centering pin/blade and I don't think they had reverse?

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:35 PM »
On my 4th year with my ION 8" w/reverse. Love it. No issues with the battery ever being cold leaving it outside the shanty. I have broken 4 blades which might have been a  defect blade issue which they replaced with no problem. But even with a broken blade it still cut holes and got me though the day.  :thumbsup: :clap:

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Had my new Ion 8x first time yesterday. Only drilled 6 holes, but it was 3 feet of ice. Worked like a charm. No noise,smell, just solid performance. Friend I was with said his buddy's Strike force drilled faster. Doesn't matter much, a few extra seconds per hole isn't going to spoil the day.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:24 PM »
I was going to buy a Ion 8" but the price changed my mind when I saw a guy on the ice using an electric drill auger with a Clam Plate.   I bought a Clam Plate for $79 and a  20 volt DeWalt drill for $99 and used the auger section off my existing StrikeMaster hand auger, so lets say that was $20 because it is 4yrs old.  All combined this outfit cut holes this year with no problems and fast.  Ice around my area was approx 18".  Total cost $198 compare that to the Ion 8" and you make the decision.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:47 PM »
I was going to buy a Ion 8" but the price changed my mind when I saw a guy on the ice using an electric drill auger with a Clam Plate.   I bought a Clam Plate for $79 and a  20 volt DeWalt drill for $99 and used the auger section off my existing StrikeMaster hand auger, so lets say that was $20 because it is 4yrs old.  All combined this outfit cut holes this year with no problems and fast.  Ice around my area was approx 18".  Total cost $198 compare that to the Ion 8" and you make the decision.
Don’t forget to add the extension, unless your ice isn’t very thick and you like drilling on your knees. It really looks like a mini auger for kids to use until I extend mine lol.

Offline muskyjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2018, 01:17 AM »
Purchased an ion x 8inch before season started this year, been using all season , wouldn't trade it for nothing PERIOD! Seriously, absolutely love it!  :thumbsup:

Offline old truck guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2018, 09:36 PM »
  Well I decided and bought the Trophy Strike 8" 120 volt. I'm really impressed with the power it had. I drilled over 20 holes at 4+ feet of ice per day this past weekend, it never missed a beat. I like how quiet and light it is. Battery power was still good at the end of the day. I'm only planning on drilling 3 feet max of ice in a normal season. Hopefully I can still have the same opinion with it, next year at this time. :)  :) :)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2018, 09:39 PM »
  Well I decided and bought the Trophy Strike 8" 120 volt. I'm really impressed with the power it had. I drilled over 20 holes at 4+ feet of ice per day this past weekend, it never missed a beat. I like how quiet and light it is. Battery power was still good at the end of the day. I'm only planning on drilling 3 feet max of ice in a normal season. Hopefully I can still have the same opinion with it, next year at this time. :)  :) :)
.     About what is the weight for that unit?

Offline old truck guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2018, 09:45 PM »

About what is the weight for that unit?

25 lbs

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2018, 10:14 PM »
I’ll have to weigh mine, Milwaukee ,clam plate. 7” lazer, don’t think anywhere near that, I’ll weigh tomorrow

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2018, 06:59 AM »
17# with a 9ah Milwaukee battery. Have drilled 25-30 holes in 17” ice with 2 bars left on battery

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Check out drill video in the search, I took a video drilling 2 holes

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Ion 8” with reverse has worked great for two heavily-used seasons. It was the top-tech when I bought it but there will always be newer, and hopefully, better augers to follow. Love that Ion though.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2018, 04:53 PM »
If i was forced to pick I'd go Ion, easier to get a replacement battery. Personally I'll wait a few more years to see how long the batteries last before a guy is stuck investing another 200 for a new battery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.