Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89166 times)

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #60 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:49 AM »
Was down yesterday for quite a while.  Got way over 50 gills.  Lots of dinks and lots of sorting.  But kept about 15 really nice ones 9" or better, then moved back to the pearmy and got 4 crappie.  Still a little slow on the crappies, but sure a nice day out there.

Good Luck.

Offline Crappie43

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Catch, I Clean, I Eat....and great at the 3 F's!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Nice pic Jas! I may try to make it out today and do the same thing! sure was fun...
Higz

Offline slick ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Are people driving on the lake, ok what i want to know can i drive my 3/4 ton out there or do i have to use my snowmobile
   MORE HOOKERS LESS LOOKERS

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I've been out there twice in the last week in my 3/4 ton.  Saw a guy in a 3/4 with a plow on it. Where I'm at there is about 13" in most places at least.  So the decision is up to you.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:36 AM »
have been driving also.  farther south than that.  Their is a article on the front page in the general area though where a truck went through on devils lake last week on 18 inches.  Not that I am going to quit driving but made me think alot more about it.

Offline Crappie43

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Catch, I Clean, I Eat....and great at the 3 F's!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Went out last night again and slammed the Giant gills again. Only cleaned 8, but caught well over 30 in 2 hours or so just before dark. thought about going a little deeper and trying to get some Crappies or Eyes but didnt have time.

Anyone having any luck with any species right now, if so where and how deep? I was in about 17 foot of water right over a brush pile on the west side of the lake, catching most fish in the 13-16 foot range. went out the last couple days and monday night right before dark i couldnt even bait 2 poles because by the time i would get my pole in the water i would have a fish! Gotta love that!

Good Fishing!
Higz

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Hi guys, I've never fished big creek but I go to school at iowa state. I'm looking at driving down to big creek sometime soon and trying it there. only thing is, I have no idea where to park or fish. I'm a panfish guy, any advice?

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:39 PM »
i usually park at the ensign shelter and fish 50 to 100yds out and look for stucture +fish lots of brush s
around there gills are fat this year prob worth the drive if you move to the channel after dark u will find crappies in 37 fow suspended  in the 20s bite has been soft recommend  ul spring bobboer the road beds the key attracter where the channel  and the road are closest prob the place i would explore for spots to find fish hope u slam them!
Hard charger !

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:21 AM »
Went out last night. BURR!  Wind was howling.  Wanted to hit my gill spot, but after a couple breaths of that cold air decided to go to the permy instead.  Only got 3 bites, hooked them all and lost all 3 on the way up. >:(  Time to move the shack!!

Things seem a little different this year in the channel.  Was getting quite a few crappies early on out there, but now not seeing that many any more and the ones I do see only about 1 of 6 are going to come up a little and bite. ???  Going to do some checking on the other spots and make a move!!

Good Luck!

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #69 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:34 AM »
ok here it goes

Made it out sunday morning was on the ice at first light. Had one fish hooked got him bout half way to the hole and lost him. Was out from first light till around one and never hooked another fish. started out on the drop off @ ensign then worked my way south and east. Looked like they had a good turnout for the tourney but i was not involved. Bait might have been my problem as I marked quite a few but no takers. Only had my gulp minnows and minnow heads so that might have had something to do with my poor luck. Ice was exelent though and actually drove everywhere I went so that was a plus.

Anyone with some info on what I was doing wrong would be very much appreciated.

Tight lines everyone!!!!   :tipup:

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Big Creek Hardwater Open isnt until next Sunday.  Thanks for the report  :tipup:

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Have had alot more fish coming up and just looking at my bait like it has the plague also.  Have not caught near as many with bigger jigs like in the beginning of the season.  Went yesterday morning also and only caught 10.  Hopefully it is weather related but is about that time of year. I always make sure to try  horizontal, vertical, and color changing.  Sometimes a plain hook is all I use for something different, but when they come up and look like that it usually means they are shutting off for some reason, and you will be lucky to catch any of them.  Oh well, better than working.

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Fished there Saturday night from 3:30 to 5:30 - caught 8 gills between 4 of us. Everything we caught had some decent size. 8" + or so. Marked a ton - fished 15' of water.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Fished last night from about 4:30 till 8:00.  Started early on the gill spot.  Only got 4.  3 dinks and 1 nice fat one.  Moved to the pearmy and got 4 crappies.  Vex lit up whole time.  Fish seemed to be very slow, stuck around quite a while but couldn't get them to move, or come up much.  Very light touch on bait once and gone.  I'd say only 1 out of 10 actually hit the bait.  Not very productive there yesterday.  Last Friday was on fire.  Starting to get frustrated with BC again!

Anybody having much luck there.  Looks like the shanty towns are moving around now?

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
« Reply #74 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:07 PM »
Was out Monday morning scouting for the tourney. We did alright on the gills maybe 10-15 didnt fish for crappie. Mid-ice is always a little slower but you will still have those night when you just killem.

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Anybody doing any good in the mornings?  I usually only fish evenings and thinking about trying it in the morning sometime.  My crappie spot last year only did well at night.  I'm guessing the gills will hit in the morning, but any info would be appriciated.

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Have had alot more fish coming up and just looking at my bait like it has the plague also.  Have not caught near as many with bigger jigs like in the beginning of the season.  Went yesterday morning also and only caught 10.  Hopefully it is weather related but is about that time of year. I always make sure to try  horizontal, vertical, and color changing.  Sometimes a plain hook is all I use for something different, but when they come up and look like that it usually means they are shutting off for some reason, and you will be lucky to catch any of them.  Oh well, better than working.

Any better luck lately?  Going to give it a try tonight again.

Offline carcrazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:59 PM »
anyone have any tips on where to find fish on big creek going to fish the tournement with my son this weekend never been there before any help would be a great help thanks

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:42 PM »
tip 1 pre fish the lake sat or fri  with this little thaw the water prob murk up a bit who knows what it will do to the bite tip 2 use spring bobbers the bit at bc has been real soft. im in the touney also so thats all i got ;D
Hard charger !

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:49 AM »
 :o Good crappie bite last night.  If you can stay up late enough!  Going to give it a shot again tonight after trying hickory for the day bite.  Might be kinda tough to catch some of those crappie durring the day yet for me though.

Good Luck to all in the tourney Sunday!

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #80 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:42 PM »
hey toofuss ill tell ya your problem you didnt have me as your guide lol sorry to here you lost your only bite bud.  ill have to school you on the spots there again lol
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:50 AM »
Crappies have been much more aggressive last 2 nights.  Getting some nice ones now and even a little earlier, right at dark.  Switched baits and that seemed to help too.  Think it is that time of year where they are finally starting to look for a little more meat on the baits.  Going to look at the later gill spots too and relocate those pigs.

Good luck.

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
« Reply #82 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:17 PM »
That is good to here the crappie are a little more active. I am going to need 5 slabs to do well in the tourney tomorrow so that is good news. Jig have you fished at all in the mornings?

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:22 AM »
Nope.  Just evenings.

Offline old time jigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Nope.  Just evenings.
How deep of water are you fishing?
I would rather be fishing,wait i probably am!

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:39 AM »
How deep of water are you fishing?

34 FOW.

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Anybody been out last couple days?  just curious how bite is going?

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #87 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:55 PM »
yep.  the bite has been good all year long.  pretty much taking a bucket full of gills and craps home every time i go out this year.  good luck ;D ;D ;D
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #88 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:57 PM »
i look for the group of 4 to 5 shacks, and do my best to get set up right in the middle of them.  this seems to work best. :o
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:41 PM »
I fished last nite.   Tough bite!!   2 crappies and a small walleye for 2 1/2hrs of fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.