Author Topic: Spare Flasher  (Read 2770 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Spare Flasher
« on: Sep 02, 2019, 10:10 PM »
What do you guys use as a spare flasher? I’m looking to upgrade my spare flasher again this year. My primary unit is an flx28 which so far is treating me very well. Last year I was able to find an lx5 to try, figured I would give a marcum a try since everyone is so divided on flashers. It works just fine but It is harder for beginners or occasional fisherman to use, I took my wife with me one day and she could not get the hang of it. So I gave her the flx28 and I took the marcum. I’m leaning towards an used LX7 or possibly lx6  to replace because it has a lot of features and the ones I’ve fished with are always very easy to to read. I just don’t know what direction to go.... need to hear what others have to help sway me....

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Spare Flasher
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2019, 12:50 AM »
This is what gets me. Any throw away sonar can be used on the ice if you have a transducer. I have saved every older open water unit over the years so beginners can play too. The screens are so much easier for them to read than a round display.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2019, 06:54 AM »
I just wonder why you just don't go with another vex? You know, since you're happy with the one you have. You can get a reconditioned 20 for a decent price.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2019, 07:02 AM »
  Like spider said if your happy with the vex
 You can buy a reconditioned 28 for. $569.00

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2019, 08:00 AM »
since you are familiar with the vexilars I also recommend the recondition route. basically you get a new unit at a reduced cost and it still has the one year warranty too. the recons are just units stores send back to vexilar at the end of the season or during for that matter that for what ever reason didn't work or was a display model. most of the time it is as simple as the battery needs replacing and then it is good to go. the stores don't want to deal with it so the go back to vexilar. I have had a few of the reconditioned units now along with new one and sitting them side by side you would never know one was a recondition unit.

here is the link for the current one they have on hand. I would go with a FLX 20 or 28 depending on what you want to spend on one.

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/reconditioned-products-1
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2019, 09:29 AM »
i use an lx5 as a primary and a vx1p as a backup.   

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Spare flasher? Maybe if I ever upgrade from my LX-5.................................. for now I go back to old-school if my LX-5 goes down!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline nicholaaaas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Just got with a FL-18 or 20. I don't think any of these new combo units offer anything over a traditional flasher yet other than mapping and I have all my marks on Navionics on my phone. If you already have a 28, get a cheap backup and don't spend money till the live scope goes down in price

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Ice,
Check out Amazon. I got a brand new MarCum M5 delivered for $400. A good unit at a good price IMO!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2019, 12:33 PM »
I would think a Vexilar ..FL 8 , FL12,FLX12 or FL18..(no zoom to confuse the user on the FL8) these units as a ezpz as it gets for use as a guest unit..seems like your leaning toward the FL28 being your 'spare' and then want an upgrade to even more advanced unit ..that's a different question.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2019, 01:02 PM »
I'm a little surprised at how many people have a spare flasher.   :o :o  Do you carry them with you out on the ice?  I think that would be unnecessary weight?

I guess if mine breaks then I'm just SOL until a new one would arrive.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2019, 01:38 PM »
I'm a little surprised at how many people have a spare flasher.   :o :o  Do you carry them with you out on the ice?  I think that would be unnecessary weight?

ive got backups for my backups.lol I find deals I cant pass up on them..but if one breaks down the trip wont suck because I have no flasher and have to order another.thats for sure.i had every vexilar from fl8 up  to flx28 at one time but thinned the hoard down to only a few now.ive got family that brings them out.

Offline nicholaaaas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2019, 09:58 PM »

No, but I'm keeping my old one in case the new one explodes. Where I fish I can almost always go back to the car. Also have it in the car in case someone in the group is new to ice fishing. Sucks when you don't know what you're really doing AND you don't even know if there are fish at your hole

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2019, 10:27 PM »
Same for me... always have a backup in the truck in case one takes a dump.  I have the 6, the 5 and if its truly a social affair with kids etc,  I pack my old Fishing Buddy and take out ten pounds of C Cell Batteries

Honestly, for me the backup strategy is really just a good excuse to upgrade the collective mix to the next new thing.  Sold my VX 1 to help pay for the 6.  Love my 5 and 6 but that Pan Optics Technology is remarkable.  Gotta ways to go before I'll bite on that. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2019, 03:18 AM »
For some of us who have even less time to get out...having a spare if far better investment of time.  The last thing I want to finally find time to go and find out that while I'm out there, something stops working and now I'm SOL...Call it brand loyalty or what not, but I stick with what I'm familiar with as priority.  It's saves one less headache, when I'm all about just relaxing and enjoying my time.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2019, 09:43 AM »

its not so much a spare if mine breaks but more a 2nd unit for the kids or a guest.  the 2nd one does stay in the truck most of the time.   

the decision for a spare came when we were half way through a trip and my buddy dropped his vex and it was done.   he didn't want to buy one and try and resell it afterwards (told him he would take a small hit but not much of one )  and he fished without one the rest of the trip. 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 04, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Not to start the flasher vs graph debat  ;) but if your buying one specifically as a second one to share or a backup unit, the lowrance or hummingbird ice packages are great. just get one when there’s a sale or special offer somewhere.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 04, 2019, 12:42 PM »
its not so much a spare if mine breaks but more a 2nd unit for the kids or a guest.  the 2nd one does stay in the truck most of the time.   

the decision for a spare came when we were half way through a trip and my buddy dropped his vex and it was done.   he didn't want to buy one and try and resell it afterwards (told him he would take a small hit but not much of one )  and he fished without one the rest of the trip.

You guys make good points.  I guess if I had a second unit I would keep it for a spare.  The guys I fish with have units, and I can't seem to talk anyone else into going.  haha.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2019, 05:24 AM »
Use my FL-18 as a spare.
went with a Helix 5 ice lsat season really like the split flasher/sonar screen. Got a TM ducer for open water. You can get the unit for under $500.00.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2019, 10:30 AM »
and they hold their value so well to the point where you can cycle through a ton of units and sell them without much of a hit and find the one that you like.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Have had some buds flashers go bad while fishing so we just fish two holes with one flasher. if its shallow ya really don't need a flasher, if its deeper than 25 ft the two hole -one flasher thing works well.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2019, 10:25 AM »
I’ve gone from the vexilar sonar phone Tpod floating sonar, to the hummingbird fish’n buddy, to a lowrance elite 5 ice pack, and just this last year to a garmin panoptix. I still have all my older sonar units, and usually bring the lowrance out as a backup and to share the video game experience with a friend when hole hopping. Sonar phone is my backup unit for the boat, I just keep it charged and in the gear bag, always have my phone with the app on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.