Author Topic: Anyone still got ice?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone still got ice?
« on: Dec 14, 2009, 04:55 PM »
I haven't gotten out to check anything this week since the rain and warm temps, and I was wonderin if anything survived.  I was really hopin to get out wednesday since thats my day off, but it's not lookin like it's going to happen, unless a miracle occurs and there's safe ice somewhere.  I'm getting antsy.

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anyone still got ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2009, 06:13 PM »
I said screw it for the week and am going to deer hunt.Maybe this weekend

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Give it a few days to harden back up, rain and temps are ruining everything. :%$#!:

Offline vermillion1405

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:04 PM »
I havent checked today (Monday), but there was 3" of ice on Sunday just before the bears game. The same thickness I saw on Saturday.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:11 AM »
What I fished on this past week end will be fine for the upcoming week end......if weather predictions are true.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:38 AM »
I think it just needs to firm back up and freeze the edges . I am taking a half day on Friday in the afternoon to go fishing so i hope the next 3 days of below freezing does the trick.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:48 PM »
I drove all over Madison county today looking for some safe ice, and most of the lakes were completely open.  My buddy want to head up around Koskiosco county tomorrow.  Anyone been around Chinese Gardens to see if they're still locked up?

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:27 PM »
The gardens are still locked up, dont know how much ice.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:35 PM »
If the Gardens had fishable ice over the weekend any damage done the last couple of days will be refrozen today and into tonight.  The drawback is the Gardens is a very first ice place to fish only because it is one of the first places to freeze, not because of the quality and quantity of fish.  You can get a ton of dinks, and few decent fish now and then, but I wouldn't make a special trip of any long distance just to fish the Gardens unless you really have the urge and must get out.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:47 PM »
I drove all over Madison county today looking for some safe ice, and most of the lakes were completely open.  My buddy want to head up around Koskiosco county tomorrow.  Anyone been around Chinese Gardens to see if they're still locked up?

SkeeterJeff fished the gardens on Sat.

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:49 PM »
The channels at Wawasee had 4-5 inches on it sun

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2009, 05:34 PM »
How warm did it get up there Monday?  It was over 50 here, so that killed everything we had.  May try the channels.  I just wanna get out and do something.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:25 PM »
I just wanna get out and do something.

That was my thinking on Saturday.  Believe me, the Gardens were not my first choice.  I checked out a half dozen places before going to the Gardens.  I expected it to be full of fishermen, but there were only two on it when I arrived about 2:00 on Sat. afternoon.  Nothing to brag about as far as catches, but I did drag a 2# catfish through the hole right before I left on Sat. night.  There was 4"-5" of solid ice on Sat.

If you just want to get out on something, and can't find any other fishable ice, it will give you the "fix" you are looking for.

-Jeff

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:46 PM »
How warm did it get up there Monday?  It was over 50 here, so that killed everything we had.  May try the channels.  I just wanna get out and do something.

It was 46 with mist and light rain all day yesterday up here.  Whatever we lost should have been put back on today and definitely tonight.  We have a low of 7 tonight.

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:52 PM »
That was my thinking on Saturday.  Believe me, the Gardens were not my first choice.  I checked out a half dozen places before going to the Gardens.  I expected it to be full of fishermen, but there were only two on it when I arrived about 2:00 on Sat. afternoon.  Nothing to brag about as far as catches, but I did drag a 2# catfish through the hole right before I left on Sat. night.  There was 4"-5" of solid ice on Sat.

If you just want to get out on something, and can't find any other fishable ice, it will give you the "fix" you are looking for.

-Jeff

Hopefully it will give me my fix.  Went up there a couple years ago, actually it was my first time ice fishing ever.  Looking forward to it tomorrow.  Noticed a lot of other guys fishing different lakes up there, but couldn't find a place to get on.  Being from Anderson it makes it tough when I go up north.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:28 PM »
Being from Anderson it makes it tough when I go up north.

Tell me about it!!  I'm on the NW side of Indy!!

-Jeff

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Tell me about it!!  I'm on the NW side of Indy!!

-Jeff

Youre on the n/w side of no ice mans land, bet you put a lot of miles on the rig.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Youre on the n/w side of no ice mans land, bet you put a lot of miles on the rig.

'08 Suburban purchased new in July '08, rolled over 35,000 miles on the way home from Ricos on Sunday.  :)

I also drive to Hudson, MI about one out of every three weekends a year since purchasing it.  It has also been to Canada twice, 1800 miles round trip. 

-Jeff

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:57 PM »
Sounds a lot like me.  I bought my Jeep, an 04 Grand Cherokee in October of 06 with 40k on it, I'm over 110k.  Oh well, it's all worth it.  I've gotten to see a lot of the state with my adventures.

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:19 AM »
'08 Suburban purchased new in July '08, rolled over 35,000 miles on the way home from Ricos on Sunday.  :)

I also drive to Hudson, MI about one out of every three weekends a year since purchasing it.  It has also been to Canada twice, 1800 miles round trip. 

-Jeff
ATABOY!!!!!! ;D C-ya. Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.