The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: onata pike  (Read 1040 times)

Offline 44blackfooted

• Team IceShanty Regular
onata pike
« on: Mar 04, 2015, 04:29 PM »
just curious wondering how onata is for pike

Offline big bite

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: onata pike
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:30 PM »
31 lber  came out 2 weeks ago 
"Youth are our future"

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:35 AM »
Onota is a Big Lake with deep water. Big fish get caught every year, but not many of them. I have had decent luck there this year, but I use smaller bait than a lot of guys. No monsters for me for sure this season from Onota, but some good quality fish earlier. Honestly I haven't been there in a few weeks. One thing I can tell you about Onota...As you look at a topo map, and you see a spot and think that it should be good..it is. Just don't expect days where you get dozens of flags, on Onota sometimes you have to spend dozens of days to get flags!
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:55 AM »
Saw a picture of a guy with a monster out of onata this year on jcb bait Facebook page.   Caught a 13lber for my first pike ever out of onata couple years ago looked at structure and where I know pike like and 20 minutes down the hole caught my first. Caught my second up the road at another spot.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:12 AM »
It is a great fishery.  I got a 4lb brown out of there several years ago and there are big pike as well.  It can be tough at times and a large body of water so getting to good spots with all this snow can be difficult.
westernmas on the finder

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:59 PM »
It is a great fishery.  I got a 4lb brown out of there several years ago and there are big pike as well.  It can be tough at times and a large body of water so getting to good spots with all this snow can be difficult.

You are not kidding.Went out on Tuesday and ended up 60 yards off the ramp next to a snowmobile trail. Getting too old to push through 3 foot drifts.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:56 PM »
You are not kidding.Went out on Tuesday and ended up 60 yards off the ramp next to a snowmobile trail. Getting too old to push through 3 foot drifts.
Shoulda called be manny.  Last week of smelt fishing was awesome.  Was pulling just a few dozen up until last week when they finally turned in for me! I got enough to keep the wife, kids, and the stripers happy in the spring!
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.