Author Topic: Brown Fishing Tactics  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Catch em Keckins

• IceShanty Rookie
Brown Fishing Tactics
« on: Feb 15, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Here is to hoping the rain does not make the ice conditions rough! 

I was able to finagle a hall pass for tomorrow and looking to target browns.  Any guidance as to structure, water depth, etc?  We will be setting tip ups and jigging as well.  About the only times I have caught them it has been in about 20’ FOW and a few feet under the ice on a tip up- that is about the extent of my knowledge about them. 

Any tips, tricks, guidance, or good karma are appreciated!

Good luck this weekend and thank you in advance.
“A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.”  Gen. George S. Patton

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Brown Fishing Tactics
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2019, 12:56 PM »
You’ll get different answers, none being wrong. It just varies depending where you fish them. Me personally, I fish just under the ice on top of the deepest hole I can find with big shiners or Smelt to start, I’ll customize from there. If you use anything other than a big baitfish in my opinion you’re just going to catch cookie cutters. I get bored with 17” after 17” Brown but to each there own. PM me if you like, if I know where you’re headed I can dial you in.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2019, 01:33 PM »
You’ll get different answers, none being wrong. It just varies depending where you fish them. Me personally, I fish just under the ice on top of the deepest hole I can find with big shiners or Smelt to start, I’ll customize from there. If you use anything other than a big baitfish in my opinion you’re just going to catch cookie cutters. I get bored with 17” after 17” Brown but to each there own. PM me if you like, if I know where you’re headed I can dial you in.
I second this, it's been my most reliable method.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Catch em Keckins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:31 PM »
That’s is very helpful and appreciated!  If you were to jig for them as well, what type of jig/ bait? Hali or Swedish Pimple type?  Another potential rabbit hole topic! :P
“A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.”  Gen. George S. Patton

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:34 PM »
If you use a hali I’d pop the chain and put on some 6 or 8 lb flouro and a bigger hook. I’ve caught them on Hali’s and pimples and PK’s.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:39 PM »
The big ones seem to do more “rolling” than the other trout from my observations as evident from leader marks on the bodies upon landing. It seems to kink the chain sometimes and make it weak, also the stock hooks will straighten on a good fish and the gap isn’t big enough to get a good grab on the thicker jaw bones. Great Lures though just gotta upgrade some of the elements on stuff bigger than smelt, panfish, and small trout. I’ve caught lakers on them stock but they don’t last long and why chance a possible dream fish

Offline Catch em Keckins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:47 PM »
That’s a great tip on the rolling and yeah, the Hali’s have that common complaint but a little ingenuity takes care of that!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:57 PM »
PM sent Kevin

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Depends where... I’ve got them from 4fow to 40 fow within minutes, same caliber fish and I ain’t talking small . They like to ambush from beneath and bring it back down to the depths.. fish steep shelves or deep holes. Personally I use medium shiners all day but the big bait will definitely sort out the bite. Depending where smelt will do the trick but they’re too fancy for me. The easy part is hooking them the rest is up to you, keep your line clear for biggg runs.. good luck!
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Same here,  medium shiners right under the ice.  Although, this year, it seems like most of the big ones have been caught much deeper down than my memory says is "normal".

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:28 PM »
And I second the rolling like AA said.. a handful I have caught have been completely wrapped which only helped them not spit it but couldn’t easily contribute to a line break.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:15 PM »
They can be all over, I've caught plenty close to shore on a rainbow-type setup, but my biggest by far was on bottom in 20 feet of water on a big shiner.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:57 PM »
I don’t find they roll. It’s more like a back and forth head to tail shake. I can usually tell it’s a good Brown by that thumping of the rod when they try to shake that hook. Lakers on the other hand roll like crazy, especially when you get them on the surface.

Offline Chefmike64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:14 PM »

Would this be considered a decent place to try going by the contour lines
Here fishy fishy

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:30 PM »
I see a great deal of guys say they get them right under the ice over deep water. I have NEVER caught one this way. I assume these are stocked cookie cutters. I could be wrong but all I get are salmon and bows that way. I have all my luck near the bottom with a big shiner.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:58 PM »
I’ll haveto try that with you Joe! Like I said different everywhere but I only fish them in Maine and 3 places in NH. All and fish I can’t stand catching cookies. I haven’t Brown fished your lake but we will!

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:50 PM »
Meet me at my place tomorrow morning if you want. I just got here a few hours ago. I have plenty of bait

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:55 PM »
Damn! I got prior obligations all weekend, let me know if your still up all week if I can squeak it in between my PT appts. and doc appt I will!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:56 PM »
I won’t be wetting any lines this weekend

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:59 PM »
I have all week off. Probably coming back Tuesday or Wednesday. I’ll let you know. Will send picks tomorrow hopefully ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Hope so!

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:29 AM »
Northland makes a more rugged dropper chain I switch out on hali for larger fish. I think there is something about the chain that adds to presentation

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Good to know! Do you know what they are? I’ve only ever seen them with wire droppers and a treble

Offline Zachbfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:09 PM »
Browns definitely cruise the hole lake and water column. I fish browns like im deer hunting. I study the contour lines and shore line to find the most likely intersection for cruising trout. My favorite spot is a rocky point about 10 feet off shore. The lake drops right down to 5 feet and theres a deep depression that runs from deep water up into the point. I like big shiners, small hooks, light flouro and long leaders. 5-7 fow has been most productive for me but ive also caught them deeper when keeping baits higher up.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:30 AM »
Good to know! Do you know what they are? I’ve only ever seen them with wire droppers and a treble

Fish USA has them both single and treble chains I think #6 and 8

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2019, 03:19 PM »
That's a very pretty brown, Zachbfish.
Welcome to the Shanty.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:26 PM »

Wow, that's a hog dude, nice fish.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:53 AM »
Browns definitely cruise the hole lake and water column. I fish browns like im deer hunting. I study the contour lines and shore line to find the most likely intersection for cruising trout. My favorite spot is a rocky point about 10 feet off shore. The lake drops right down to 5 feet and theres a deep depression that runs from deep water up into the point. I like big shiners, small hooks, light flouro and long leaders. 5-7 fow has been most productive for me but ive also caught them deeper when keeping baits higher up.

Welcome aboard. Just saw that picture in an older Hawkeye I used to start the woodstove last night. Nice brown.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:57 AM »

The tactical discussion threads on here are the best threads.  Lots of learning to do without anyone giving up a spot. 

Zach, I've started looking more at the contour lines, exactly for the same reason you mentioned...I study topo's for deer season.  So I started looking back at where we've had the best success and you're on the money.  One of our best days we landed four browns, all over 4lbs, right off a rocky point.  We caught them right under the ice, where the point drops from knee deep to about 6ft.  Of course, I didn't have a phone or camera with me that day, but these fish came from the same spot:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.