Author Topic: Cork Handle Care  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Cork Handle Care
« on: Dec 16, 2003, 10:07 PM »
I was wondering what kind of oil is recommended for cork handles?
I remember seeing some post here last year,but can't find them in the archives.
Thanks
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re:Cork Handle Care
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:00 AM »
I have never heard of putting anything on cork handles.  I think the proper finish is- one part human sweat, two parts fish slime (W/ scales) a dash of water and beer to taste ;D
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:44 AM »
Excellent finish!!!! ;D ;D  LMOA!!
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:46 PM »
If you really want to put something on them try mineral oil.  It is available at any good kitchen store.  It is what they use to keep wooden cutting boards in good shape for years of service.
t'pup!

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2003, 09:44 AM »
wouldnt it make the cork to soggy and possibly fall apart when fighting that biggin?!??
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2003, 11:21 AM »
The only thing I have ever done to cork grips is lightly sand them. I don't think you want to put anything on the grips, wouldn't they become very slippery once they get wet?

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2003, 12:22 PM »
Fulltimedad
If you want to clean your cork handles soak them  in a clorine water solution for a couple min. they will be like new
Cold Feet

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2003, 05:14 PM »
The mineral oil should not make them slippery.  It should soak into the cork, as it would with a cutting board, and thus protect it from moisture and stains.  Personally, I like it when my cork gets "dirty", so I don't do any of this.
t'pup!

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2003, 12:09 PM »
I have never heard of putting anything on cork handles.  I think the proper finish is- one part human sweat, two parts fish slime (W/ scales) a dash of water and beer to taste ;D
Dogfish

Excellent formula Dogfish.  I've never heard of a better way to take care of cork handles.  I do have a unique way of putting a reel on a cork handle without rings.  

I take regular electrical tape and wrap it on inside out to start.  Yep.  It takes a couple of wraps to get the hang of it, but I put it on the reel seat and wrap as far forward and as far back as necessary for comfort.  Then I cut the tape, and turn it sticky side down and wrap over the tape that is sticky side out.  It seems like quit a process, but if you ever have to unwrap the tape to change reels or something, it all comes off without leaving your cork handle covered with adhesive goo.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2004, 08:29 PM »
If you tape your reels on you might want to try a electrical tape that is called self vulcanizing tape it will not stick to your rod handle but it will glue itself together should be avaliabe at you local home depot or any electrical supply store. some come with a plastic between the wraps you hvae to streach it when you wrap it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.