Author Topic: new frabill rod  (Read 3457 times)

Offline gill

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
new frabill rod
« on: Nov 18, 2003, 04:02 PM »
any try or have the new frabill amplifier rod? it looks like a great rod, but i saw it priced for $40 . i was wondering if it is worth all the $$? thanks

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
Re:new frabill rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2003, 03:48 PM »
Bought two this fall and really like them, but I've only been able to use them once.  I think they're worth the $40 price tag.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2003, 11:23 AM »
I'm looking for updated reports on the new Frabill Amplifier rods, especially the UltraLite for 'gills.  
Is it worth the relatively high price?  
How do you attach the reels?  I couldn't see any reel seat or rings in the pictures.  Seems like taping them on might deaden the sensitivity.
Does wind effect the sensitivity or give a "false bite" indication like it does with a spring bobber?
Is the sensitivity as good at greater depths as it is in shallower applications?
Any particular line recommendations?  I usually use 2# Trilene MicroIce on the smallest reels I can find.  I have a Silstar Tiny Twenty on the shelf, just waiting to crank in some big 'gills.
I appreciate any input, suggestions, recommendations, etc. you guys can give me.
Thanks,
Butch    ???

trapdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2003, 07:20 PM »
i would think that these rods aren't as sensitive as you are thinking. although the idea is good, i find it hard to believe that you can feel light biting gills on it. i personally would spend the money on something else!

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2003, 08:55 PM »
trapdaddy - I've only been using them for a month, and in fairly shallow water, but they are definately more sensitive than other good quality rods that I've used in the past.  I've used the Genz lightning rods in the past.  I think I paid $25 a piece for those and I'd say the amplifier is worth $15 more easily.  You don't feel a "tap" when you get a bite, you feel a "bang".  I was actually shocked the first couple of times I got hit.  I figure, if you're going to pay anything over $15 you might as well get the best you can.

butcht - High quality electric tape is the best way to attach a reel to any ice fishing rod.  Less weight and better sensitivity than reel seats or rings.  Whenever I buy rods with reel rings I cut them off with shears and use tape.  The rod blank itself is compareable to other decent rods, and the UL will probably move in the wind like any other UL, but not as much as a spring bobber.  The idea behind the amp. rod is the hollow handle and amplifier disks that tranfer vibration to your hand.  The rod blank itself is as stiff as any other rod, and the rod is disigned to help you feel the bite better, not see it better like a spring bobber.  As far as deeper water goes, I can't say yet.  I've been hitting the gills on the shallow flowages (8 fow max), so I haven't had any reason to hit the deep lakes in the area.  I'm guessing sensitivity will be reduced, but still better than other rods.  The 2# micro-ice and the tiny 20 should work just fine.  I'm using a similar reel and 2# flouro right now, but might switch back to the micro-ice.  I've had a few more break offs than I'm used to.  Hope that's helpful.

kerosene

-Gord Pyzer

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2003, 11:21 PM »
Kerosene,
Thanks for the quick reply.  We don't have quite enough ice here in Michigan's NW lower peninsula for me to be comfortable on yet, so I think I'll make a trip into Traverse City in the next couple days and pick up at least one Amplifier UL.  Then I'll be ready when the ice is.
I don't know if you need any jigs but you might want to check out
               www.jamminjigs.com
I ordered 45 of various types a couple weeks ago and I'm impressed.  Excellent quality and the prices are unbelieveable!!
Tight lines,
Butch

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2003, 12:42 PM »
Butch,

I checked out jammin jigs last week.  Nice looking and at 40 cents a piece, heck of a deal.  I'll probably order some this week.

Back to the rods - I did find one problem.  I rig mine with light spinning reels and they are working fine, but I bought my dad one for his birthday and he rigs his with the little mini casting reels by HT Enterprises.  His snapped off at the second eye.  I contacted Frabill and they got back to me right away.  You can't rig the rod with the eyes facing up.  They are designed to only take load in one direction and will break if loaded the other way.  Frabill was very hilpful with the whole thing, and will exchange it free of charge.  I've just got to pay shipping and handling.  

kerosene

-Gord Pyzer

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:36 PM »
Kerosene,
That's good to know.  Thanks for the info.  I use nothing but UL spinning outfits for panfish jiggin' myself, but just in case anybody should ask........

Any idea if that applies to the heavier models?  I do use baitcasting reels to jig for laketrout, burbot and whitefish when they are deep (60-80 FOW or more).  The added sensitivity would really be helpful for those whiteys!!!  Last winter, we were fishing as deep as 180 feet down for them in east Grand Traverse bay, north of Traverse City.
Butch

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:04 PM »
Butch - I didn't mention the rod weight when I e-mailed Frabill, so I'm guessing that applies to the whole line of Amps.  I wouldn't chance setting one up with a bait caster.  

kerosene

-Gord Pyzer

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:11 PM »
Check out www.jannsnetcraft.com, they sell a Graphite Ice Rod Tennessee Handle Kit that is the same idea and you can set your rod up anyway you wish. "Hollow graphite body helps transmit vibration directly from the rod tip to your hand" It sells for $9.99, I have one ordered and I'll let you know how well they work.
FTD

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:08 PM »
Well, I bought the Amplifier UltraLite and taped the Tiny 20 on it yesterday.  I didn't get a chance to get out today, too much last minute Christmas stuff to take care of.
I did a comparison, though, with one of my old reliable Polar Gold UL's.  I hung a 1/80 ounce jig about two feet below the tip of both and let the jigs swing lightly against the wall.  There was no comparison!!!  I always thought the old rod was sensitive, but the Amplifier really puts it to shame.  The tap felt like somebody hit it with a ballbat.  Well, not really, but you could sure feel the difference.  I can't wait to try it!!

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2004, 05:38 PM »
Finally!!!  Enough ice and I was able to get out.  The Amplifier UL is all I hoped it would be and well worth the money.  I outfished my regular partner, a very good fisherman, 5 to 1.  It had to be the rod.  I could even feel the line go slack when the bite was fifteen feet down.  

I am impressed!!    ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.