Author Topic: Shanty Heater  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Shanty Heater
« on: Oct 26, 2003, 06:58 AM »
There are a few posts that talk about a coffee can heater, How do they work?  Are they cheaper than propane cans?  Do they put off heat to keep a person warm?
  Thanks
  Big W
Big W

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re:Shanty Heater
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2003, 07:33 AM »
BigW
In the old days we used to take a 5lb coffee can put a few holes in it near the bottom take a couple charcoal brickets drop them in a little lighter fluid ignight it and that was the heat just drop in more brickets as you needed them and if you wanted hot soup just put a old pot on it put in the soup and cook it. Some even put the can in their sled and drilled holes through the lid to warm their butt. But you must line the sled with flashing so it didnt burn.
Cold Feet

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2003, 08:55 AM »
Big W,
I'm not sure what folks are talking about on this board, but the coffee can heaters I know of are as follows:

Take a roll of toilet paper and remove the cardboard tube. Compress  it and put it into the coffee can. Pour in rubbing alcohol and light. The toilet paper acts as a wick....much like a kerosene heater.

Personally....I'd spend the $$ and get a real propane heater. I use the Dyna Glow heaters which are the same as a "Buddy" heater.

Bob

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2003, 09:20 AM »
Ya, another back in the old days here also ...... seen both types used with a coffee can as well as those old metal 2 piece minnow buckets.

Diffenately agree with getting a propane heater. Other heating methods are too hard to regulate and messy. I'd rather spend my time fishing than futzing with the heater/wood/charcoal.

We also used to use those fuel oil drip heaters, now there is a mess..... crawl out of the fish house looking like racoons with all of the soot in the air.....LOL

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2003, 11:49 AM »
I have the mr. buddy heater and it works just great. I have the 12 ft. hose and hook it to a propane bottle so I do not have to worry about changing cylinders. my kids use it in our tent for late fall camping. It is money well spent.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2003, 11:31 AM »
himo, does the buddy heater have problems with the wind, I've owned other catalitic heaters and at the first sign of a breeze they go out, is this the case?
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2003, 01:12 PM »
yes it will blow out if the wind gets at it. I position it so that the wind can't get to it. a pain in the a$$ but over all it is a good product.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2003, 05:34 PM »
Go with propane.I have used the 1 lb coffee can with a roll of TP in it not worth it.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2003, 11:11 AM »
I can't say for 100% because I haven't tried it under real conditions yet,..but the other day it was 16 degrees here and I set but the Shappell dx 3000 for the first time in the back yard as practice,..(One neighbor said he felt sorry for me) AND I set up a ZODI tent heater and it seems to really heat up the thing in a very short while,...the BIG plus with me is,..it either brings in outside air or recirculates it from inside air which I love,..I don't like even like a Little Buddy heater going inside,..I know guys say they are odorless , but not to me,..I'm out there for better air than something burning unvented in my shelter,...may not mean as much to others,but it really does to me!..the down side,..you need a small motocycle or similar battery to run the little fan,...not sure how many hours it'll run,..you also have to have two tubes  and intake and an outgoing one to the unit that you keep outside your shelter,..I'm going to put a small amt of quickset cement in the bottom of a 6gallon plastic bucket to cement in the tle holder.in place to keep it from shifting,..the bucket will stop the wind from blowing out the flame (I'm guessing a strong gust might) also keep from blowing away a lot of BTU's that could be comming into the tent,..It SAYS it puts out 10.,000 btus,...not sure about that,..but I DO like the fresh air in my shelter (if I kept my borther in law out it , I think it will be perfect . you can go to WWW.ZODI.COM  to check them out,...I got mine from Sportsmans guide for a lot less,..not sure they still have them...

Flea_Dog

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2003, 01:43 AM »
Be real careful if you try to use charcoal inside. It puts out large amounts of carbon monoxide. You can get in trouble real fast.

Bring a hot blond instead!!   :P

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2003, 10:59 PM »
i agree with flea dog.... actually BURNING anything is NOT good.... i am a Union Steam Fitter so heating is my thing. I have known people that are lucky to have thier lives due to carbon monoxide.... its nothing to fool around with. ANYHOW..... in my shanty i use my coleman double mantle propane lantern. it heats it up pretty nicely especially if your shanty is sealed from the wind pretty good. now you maybe saying..... thats still a flame... there is still carbon monoxide..... well your right... to a certain extend..... with the propane being open to all the air in your shanty it burns VERY clean thus producing VERY little CO. it would probably take a full day oh having a tight sealed shanty and no door being opened before u had to worry about the CO. and we ALL know that were going to be running after flags. this is just my opinion. but i highly recomend NOT to burn charcoal or T.P....... as i always say... Think safety first..... second might be too late!!

Melbs    :'(

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2003, 09:08 AM »
A few years ago, a friend of mine built a charcoal fire in a small grill inside an old shanty to stay warm.  He was fishing by himself and when he got sleepy he laid down to take a nap.  He never woke up.  Don't use charcoal inside for heat.  Listen to what these people are saying.

Pop

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2003, 11:17 PM »
I have always used the coleman double mantle lantern for heat and it seems to work fine even in well below zero temps. I do keep the top zipper on the shappell opened up just a bit for fresh air.
FTD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.