Author Topic: making old line like new  (Read 2886 times)

ptrouter

making old line like new
« on: Nov 26, 2002, 01:09 PM »
after years of using your old tip up line it starts to get old and used. to renew your line unspool the line on your tipups and respool the line backward, the line that hardly ever gets used will act as new.        good fishing !!!!!

wonderboy

Re: making old line like new
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:24 AM »
thanks.   good idea

ipunch2u

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2003, 10:25 PM »
i also occasionally spray the spool of line with wd-40.  it helps prevent it from freezing up and doesnt seem to affect my catch numbers at all!!!!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2003, 03:51 AM »
Before I spool my tip ups I run the line over a small block of candle wax,it gives just enough coating to help keep them from freezing so easily and makes the dacron a little easier to handle but does'nt stiffen the line....It seems to make the line last a little longer also.... :'(

ipunch2u

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2003, 04:00 PM »
Great idea I think I might have to give it a try!!

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2003, 07:33 PM »
  In regaurds to using wd 40 on your line.  I want to know if you are having any trouble with the line breaking.  It seems to me that spraying wd40 on the line would weeken it.  Isn't Dacron a pollyester and I know that wd 40 has petroleum distalites in it which can damage many materials.  Just wondering if anyone has any other info lets hear it.  The wax Idea sounds great.   I usually bring mine in the house at the end of the day and they are dry for the next outing.  My spools sit in the water so once they are thawed out they stay that way.

ipunch2u

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2003, 07:44 PM »
twodoggs.

Ive never had any problems with line breaking but that is a very good point you had.

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:making old line like new
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2004, 11:11 AM »
I wouldn't think wd-40 is too earth friendly :-[ >:(

acsacmboy

Re:making old line like new
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2004, 05:00 PM »
wd 40 is user friendly. its an attractant. put soft plastic baits in a baggie with it in it and its just like any attractant. it works. ive tryed it both open and hard water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.