Author Topic: ice sled  (Read 10782 times)

RAY_A.

ice sled
« on: Oct 10, 2002, 08:43 PM »
any suggestions on a good ice sled to hold jiffy 2 hp and regular gear ---reasonably priced. and possibly where to get one online

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
Re: ice sled
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2002, 07:17 PM »
Get a jet sled!  You can get one out of Cabela's.  

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2002, 05:03 PM »
I was also looking into a new sled. About 15 years ago I bought a sled out of Cabelas, their was no name to it, but it beat the plastic toboggans and homemade (heavy) wooden boxes on skies that my friends were pulling. The measurements are about 55" x 50" x 5" and made out of polyethylene I guess like the plastic sleds made today. Seeing how much easier a narrow sled of today is able to go through deep snow and with its slightly higher sides, I'm looking for an advantage because the pulling power is provided by me pulling it. My choices that I am considering are the Otter II Sleds, www.otteroutdoors.com/sleds (Gander Mountain) and the Jet Sled, www.fish307.com/fish/shappell (local bait store). Both run about the same price and am leaning towards the Small Otter II (54"x26"x10" and 16 lbs., $44.99) just to be different.            George in Throop PA

Curley in Ct

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2002, 03:25 AM »
George ,I got a mini otterout of reedssport on line for 25 bucks +shipping.Last year I saw a guy with a jet sled. He put a plywood deck on it with a piano hinge.Kept the heavy stuff on top,fragile stuff on the bottom.Looks like i'm up-gradeing.lol

Maze1162

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2002, 07:51 PM »
Both the Jet Sled and the Otter are good buys.  SHop around for your best price.  Don't overlook ebay
                                Maze

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2002, 08:47 AM »
I saw someone else put a sheet of plywood on top and he screwed a milk crate on top for his bait bucket.  A good thing to do is wax the bottom too, it will slide better on snow.

I am building a new box, last one died.  I will attach picts later.
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2002, 12:38 PM »
   I live in North Jersey and I build and sell my own wooden Ice Fishing Sleds.  I think they a re built nicely, and are very functional.  I have the design down perfect after much product testing.  These sleds are very mobile and will hold every thing you need for fishing. Pull up to the hole, sit and start jigging. The Product picture and specs are below.  Please message or email me if interested and we will work something out.  They run about from $100-$150 dollars, depending on acessories.

All Sleds Include:
-Skis For Runners
-6-10" Lift for snow clearance
-Holds two 5 gallon buckets(front and back)
-Approx 1.5ft x 2.5ft storage box for gear, with lid that doubles as seat and cooking table
-Tow Rope
-Eye Hooks for augers and other euipment placement.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2002, 03:38 PM »
I use a otters when not taking the shanty, but usually I pile stuff up on the folded up portable shanty. I have a pic on the subject "portable shanty sides." When going on the big lake I have a cargo sled I built to pull with the snowmobile.
Last week I was on the ice and saw a sled I didnt reconize, this guy used one of those plastic cement mixing tubs you get from any home improvement center, he poked a couple holes and ran a nylon rope through it, it worked perfect... real durable, and deep, he says you can get them in different sizes.

Offline fishydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2002, 11:01 PM »
I have an Otter II small and my roommate has a similiar sized Jet sled.  I think they're pretty comparable.  I can carry my auger, a 5 gallon bucket, minnow bucket, vexilar, beer, and other odds and ends with no problem.  I'd just shop around and see which one you can get the best deal on.

Lunafish

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2003, 07:59 AM »
Hey NJ Ice Hunter....you and I are on the same wavelength.  I've built a couple of these things just about the same way.  I get my skis at yard sales for $5 or so, some ply and PVC and Viola!  Works good for haulin' firewood too!

ChrisL_from_Wis

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2003, 08:44 AM »
One thing to note:

Try to find one that will fit 2 5-gallon buckets side by side.  My dad's otter won't and it severely limits the load.  Mine (unknown brand) does fit them, even though they are roughly the size width & length, mine hauls much more.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2003, 09:54 AM »
I have a jet sled xl. It is longer and wider than the jet sled. i can put my auger in it with a bucket on both sides. then it is tall enuf to strap my shappel 3000dx shack right on top. works great.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2003, 11:20 AM »
Nice sleds that hold everything you would want can be found at www.boggan,com  a bit pricey but what the H--L
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2003, 01:21 PM »
If you get a jet sled, make sure you spring for the "SUV" model...I bought a jet sled jr. model before I got my power auger and the "Jr" model is too narrow for the auger+equipment.  My buddy has the "SUV" model and it is wide enough for the power auger+5 gallon minnow bucket +gear for 2 people.  The tow rope that comes with it is a bit short, but other than that it is a good sled.

Offline Lottie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pa. Goat Boy member
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2003, 10:05 AM »
HI-- I just built a sled. I was going to use an old set of skis but the snow in NE PA was up to 40+ inches by the first weekend in Jan. and the guys with ski setups were plowing snow with the front of their sleds. for a while the only way to fish was with snow shoes. The box i built/ designed was set up to carry 10 tipups 2 jig rods small baitbucket plastic containers for hooks ect. and my jiffy power auger.
I bought a wooden toboggan, this eliminated the skis digging into the snow. Then built a box out of  1/2" marine plywood using 2x2 for interior corners and another 2x2 on front interior of  the box where the latches at screwed on (this also acts as additional support when sitting on the box.)  I cut the lid of the box at the 2' mark so that you can sit on the wide part of the box lid and open the 1' front section of the box for assess to the live bait and other equipment needed while jigging. I also put a 1x1 support in the box toward the back for the auger to set on so that it's not resting on the bottom where your tipups are. (placement is acording to your auger fin so  that it rests on the main beam of the auger. I also cut a 2" wide slot down the center front of the box so that the auger beam would fit down in it with the engine and handles sticking out the front with gas tank fill facing up and one handle resting on the bottom of the toboggan. By having the brace in the back of the box and the slot in the front it keeps the auger level and off the bottom. Your bait bucket will fit under the beam of the auger. Your spare 1 gal. gas can depending shape will fit under the auger on the outside front of the box. I also put 4 handles on the sides and front of the box for lifting and tiedowns. You need 4 hinges which open full so that lids can laydown against the side of the box for easy access from both sides if setting out tipups.
This set up fits in back of a Jeep Grandcherokee with 1 rear seat down.  The box is sturdy enought to have 2 men sit on it.   GOOD LUCK!!                                                          

bosco

« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2003, 06:05 AM »
Hi , Well,here's what I did... Went to the army surplus & p/u a set of 6 ft. down hill ski s , bought a 2x8,10 ft, 4 2x2,8 ft, 1 2x2,10 ft a sheet of 1/2 in. plywd.,a 4 ft piece of 1&1/4 schedule 40 pvc, & 4,1&1/8 wooden dowels ,4ft long... Cut the 2x8 to 5 ft ,cut a gentle curve ( if ya want to ) in one end & screw'em to the skis,w/about 6" of ski out ea. end.. Pls. keep in mind this is NOT rocket science !! ( screw'em to the center of the ski,width wise ).Next I notched a 3'piece of 2x2 into the 2x8 at these locations,4" in from ea end,15" in from ea end & at 30" in ( the middle ), these are notched flush w/the top of the 2x8.. Then I used a3x5' piece of plywd , & screwed it to the 2x2's & 2x8's..Next I cut a12"x5' & 2 12"x3'& mounted them to the sled , 4"down on the 2x8 ,w/a gentle arch in the 3'ers where the top of the arch meets the bottom of the plywd floor,for snow drag/clearance..Then cut your 2x2's to fit the inside edges & screw the plywd to the inside 2x2's , ect. .. Now in the corners,I used thepvc,cut into 12" pieces,an inch or 2 from top & bottom of the pvc I drilled small holes (that will fit the small bolts you have choosen,to go thru the pvc & plywd walls ) & I drilled bigger holes on the opposite side of the small holes to enable me to get my screw driver in & hold the screw while attatching the nut on the outside of the plywd walls.. Thiss holds your walls nice& tight.. I used some old blue plastic tarp & ( now this is the expensive part ) talked my little pumpkin into sewing up a shelter.. Had to tak'er out for supper....  Again this is what I threw together , feel free to improvise.. My shelter walls have sleeves in the 5' open side,I insert a 4' wooden dowel into them & into ea corner of the other corners,next slip one of the sleeved dowels into one corner , wrap around the dowels alreasy inserted, & into the last corner I installed snaps at the bottom of the tarp to snap into the sled to hold it streatched tight & keep the wind out, make your walls as high as you want,I can sit on a boat cushion ,on top of a square milk carrier& still have head room,again as you wish yours to be..This holds auger, buckets poles,keeps me outta the wind & I cook in it.. Am thinkin' on a front, to make a sort of home made fish trap.. It was fun , hope yours is too.....
                       yer friend , Bosco...............

'

'

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2003, 07:14 AM »
Hey Bosco,
Great job on the sled.............and good luck on the shanty!  Based on your attention to detail, I am sure you will end up with one functional, solid shanty  ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

stevep

« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2003, 08:04 AM »
www.sportsmensguide.co m
They carry the shapell & otter.
Good luck.

Jam_Jam

« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2003, 08:20 AM »
Anyone got any ideas for reinforcing the bottoms on the Jet/otter sleds.  I've pulled my jet sled over some rocks and I've notice the plastic wears pretty quickly (leaves black marks on the rocks)...what might a guy secure to the bottom and how would he secure it given the strength of the plastic...maybe glue/appoxy some runners made our of conduit or something...

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2003, 06:57 PM »
We drive our pickups out onto the lakes after we have 8" of ice.  We pack all of our gear in the box too!!  Haven't lost a vehicle yet in 30 years.  The sled goes on the pickup, along with the snowmobiles on trailers onto the lakes, and we go from there.  Winter up here starts early and ends fairly late, so we make the most of it.  

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2003, 05:21 PM »
Jam Jam,  I am  considering the Otter Magnum which would carry both my collapsed shanty and gear.  Regarding your question about reinforcing the bottom of the otter.  I believe otter actually sells metal runners specifically for the sled.  I can't remember the website, but if you are interested "IM" me and I will try to find it.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Jam_Jam

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2003, 07:22 AM »
Thanks for the lead I had no clue they may actually make a product just for that...I'll save you some work and look around myself.    

Cheers  

Mr.Fisherman

« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2003, 08:24 AM »
Why Cabelas I made my ice sled from an old sled and I have an old wooden box nailed to it. So, if you have an old wooden sled and an crate just nail them together and do it that way.

Offline Colorado_Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • :-)Reader Beware(-:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2004, 06:35 PM »
Howdy all,

I have beeen doing a lot of thinking about sleds too
and came up with these links.

Flash_King's Tundra Boggan sled is found right here:

http://www.eqnx.biz/boggan_load_frame.htm

And the runners for the Otter sled plus other accessories
like covers, seats and hitches, are at:

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/OTTEROUTDOORS/eprodlist.asp?S=67&P=5049&PubID=4393&D=43&V=7&iss=

Also some great ideas from other Ice Shanty members
for making your own sled are here:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=9894/20

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." ~Paul Schullery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.