Author Topic: 2 man shanty  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
2 man shanty
« on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:42 AM »
Hey everyone. Looking at two man shanties to help a friend find one. I already have the Evo2 and it looks awesome but I haven't gotten to use it yet. Looking for input on you guys and gals are liking. Flipovers only. He has a quad so weight isnt a big deal. The budget is around $400. 
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2 man shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2016, 12:45 PM »
If he wants to keep it under $400 he probably will not be getting a Thermal unit.  I would always recommend the thermal, but to each his own.  For that amount you will be looking at the Frabills or the Clam units.  Did a quick search in Google and a few options showed up.  The Nanook is a good one, been out there a long time.  Frabill has a loyal following so depending on what stores are around you - its best to head to a store (Cabelas) and walk the aisles.  I have the Yukon thermal ($620) and will always recommend that unit.  Not sure what Otter has in these, but you can't argue against an Otter system. 

You will have to look at a few areas: how far is he pulling it out, what is the weather that he will fish in, what kind of fishing does he do, how many times does he plan on using it.  Each of these contributes to the system he gets.  If he only uses it a few times a year, then he may not need the thermal, does he plan on keeping it for years, then he may want to up his price point and get a unit that he will be satisfied in. 

Good Luck!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Thanks! I know to always look at all that stuff as I always research when looking for myself. I haven't looked too much into 2 mans though because I got my evo2 at such a steal that there was no comparison. So I thought I would ask those who own.
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:16 PM »
Me and my brother in law bought a shappell fx200 from fish307.com.. it has room enough for two guys to jig out of and it is simple as hell to flip over. A lil bit heavy but it works well with a small heater and you will stay toasty on a cold day. I think we paid like 325 or something like that with a special they were running. Look into it. Hope this helps.
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Even though he is looking for flipovers only, he should take a look at the Bayrunner II by shappell.  I have the 1 man version and love it.  Probably getting the 2 man this year or next.  I set it up on my first set of holes and when I'm ready to move, I just take out the heater and pull it around still set up.  Ultimate in run-n-gun.

Inc

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:16 AM »
I have a friend that bought the bayrunner ii and it is a cool shanty and I like that it's ready to move all the time. In my mind the hole in the floor is too small for big fish. I've had to squeeze walleye through a 10" hole so I'm not sure how you get a 12lb walleye through that floor.
I'll let you know what gets decided.

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Hmmmm...  Where are you in Michigan and do you have the coordinate where you fish?

;-)

Inc

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2016, 08:43 AM »
Hmmmm...  Where are you in Michigan and do you have the coordinate where you fish?

;-)

Inc

Haha. That is actually Lake Erie. Coordinates are "somewhere way the hell out there"

Offline tokyo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2016, 04:43 AM »
I just put a post a few days ago on the Pa board -

I was in the market for a new shelter and it was between the Wide 1 Inferno and the Quick Flip 2.  I pulled the trigger on the Quick Flip 2.  Some thoughts...
It assembled pretty easily (1.75 hours), and like IKEA, I had extra parts...some not even on the inventory list.  I am impressed with the amount of room there is.  Seriously, I could hold a barn dance in there.  I think there might be a little false advertising with the "Quick" description.  Between spreader bars and breaking down/setting up the frame it does not seem like it is designed for speed.  The weight seems like it may be an issue (88 lbs), but I'll reserve that judgment until I get out with it.

This shelter is right at your price point.  I got mine through Amazon, free shipping, and arrived in two days for $335.  I've seen it as low as $307 at Home Depot, and recently saw an on-line ad for $299

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.