Author Topic: 2 man shelter?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
2 man shelter?
« on: Nov 27, 2015, 11:27 AM »
what shelter to get....HELP!!!!

so there is a deal on the new AEGIS (base model) and a Quickflip 2. at 2 of the local shops. i can not make up my mind.

there is things i like about both.

Quickflip has comfy seats and is bigger and taller.

the aegis smaller (fits in my tiny car a bit better but not perfect) and i kind alike the idea of the two removable padded Plano boxes.

I hate making up my mind. does anyone have one of they can comment on
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2 man shelter?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2015, 03:51 PM »
I'm having a similar delimina.

I have a quick flip 2 I'm hoping to sell tonight, then looking at a smaller thermal like the aegis or aa bigger 2-3 man unthermal. Leaning towards unthermal since bigger = better. Lol.
See you on the ice!

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2015, 03:59 PM »
I use a Shappell Bayrunner.....I am not sure if it is any tighter than a flip two man....I love the room when by myself

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2015, 05:37 PM »
I have a Quickflip 2 and really like it. Its going on its 4th season and its still as good as the day I bought it. Seats are comfortable too.
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2015, 07:24 PM »
all i can say is how i shop flip overs is look at the weight of them first if pulling by hand. fancy seats and thermo means more and more weight. so i don't want either. sure it would be nice, but not having a heart attack trying to get all the weight out there is a big deal. after loading it with a lot more weight means even more work. even with smitty skies you fell the weight in deeper snow. just walking is tough in deeper snow.

i chose light weight over comfort. i can add a light weight seat and bring heat, you have to bring heat any way. i can add reflectex to the roof and i have to keep the heat from going out the roof and reduce condensation.

w/o out looking up specs for you on the ones you want compared to what i know is light weight, check out shappell fx flips.

what ever you do end up with, get the hyfax kit. it does help it pull so much easier! and save the sled bottom.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2015, 04:03 PM »
I had a quick flip2 for a few years and I liked it but after fishing out of a buddy's otter I sold the Eskimo and purchased an otter. Hands down far better quality
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2015, 07:40 PM »
all i can say is how i shop flip overs is look at the weight of them first if pulling by hand. fancy seats and thermo means more and more weight. so i don't want either. sure it would be nice, but not having a heart attack trying to get all the weight out there is a big deal. after loading it with a lot more weight means even more work. even with smitty skies you fell the weight in deeper snow. just walking is tough in deeper snow.

i chose light weight over comfort. i can add a light weight seat and bring heat, you have to bring heat any way. i can add reflectex to the roof and i have to keep the heat from going out the roof and reduce condensation.

w/o out looking up specs for you on the ones you want compared to what i know is light weight, check out shappell fx flips.

what ever you do end up with, get the hyfax kit. it does help it pull so much easier! and save the sled bottom.

Those are great points and thoughts. ( why I like being part of this site ) The good news is I wont be pulling this one by hand far mostly 10min walk at the most. I own a RECON DLX for long scouting missions. I will be adding Reflectex this season.

I think I will be going with the Frabill as the seats re not attached and I can keep the weight down.  Even with the smaller space then the Quickflip2  I believe it will be the best choice for my first 2 man.

The next is the clam 6 pack (thermal) thank god the wife is cool with that one after getting her inside all the display models at SAIL she is down for a BIG pop-up. Plus a Snowmobile.

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2015, 06:57 AM »
I have used a clam pro one man for quite awhile, this summer I got a clam guide 2man, took one of the seats out, repositioned the other seat to the middle of the tub, got a new cover and now have a very big one man flip over.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:13 AM »
I have a pop up I think originally from Costco, but Eskimo and Cabela's makes the same thing.  It seats two adults VERY comfortably and allows space for a heater and electronics.  It also fits nicely on my sled that I pull by hand. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:41 PM »
So i bought the Frabill Aegis 2000. (base model) so far i am like it except the Plano tub seat. the locking part of the tub broke within 5 mins. i am liking most of everything else about it the weight. it is going to take some getting used to on setting up with the spreader bars. HOLY crap the are tough to snap on and off.

i am stoked to get on with modify it. the tubs(aka seats) will become a rod locker once i pick up some foam to make holders for.

I will try to get some photos up here soon. once the ice shows up here.

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.