Author Topic: Tip up storage?  (Read 14337 times)

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip up storage?
« on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:11 PM »
What is everyone using to store their tip ups? Currently I am using a 26" tool box that has two clear cases to hold my jigs on the top but I would like to find something else as I cannot fit two Beaver Dams side by side in the bottom of this box. What else is out there where they would fit better. I would like something that would fit 6 tip ups.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Tip up storage?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:24 PM »
I just set up two 2x4s on a set of saw horses or five gallon pails and set them on top of the 2x4s so they lay flat.  I don't cover them since I have them in doors but if you want to a blanket would work to keep the dust off of them.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:28 PM »
I guess I should have been more specific in my post. I am looking for something to put the in that I can load onto my four wheeler and head out on the lake. Something similar to the box I am using now just a little larger to be able to fit 6 of them in with room for 2 of them sitting flat side by side on the bottom. Is there a box that anyone knows of that would work for this.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:35 PM »
There are bags for sale that hold tip-up in individual comprtments, but I just use the trusty 5 gallon bucket.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Walmart sells a plastic storage box for the back of pick-up trucks that might work.  Also what about one of those plastic storage toats?  Another idea is making a box yourself that way you can make it exactly the way you want to.  Home Depot sells small pieces (2 feet by 3 feet) of plywood that you can just make a frame with 1x3s or 2x4s and screw the pieces together.

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2012, 08:37 AM »
Get like a 26 or 28 inch tall pack basket and rig it to front of wheeler doesn't take up any rack space either!!! Good luck:)$

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Not to take over your forum, but there are many different tipup shapes that require different forms of storage.  I have some HT windlass tipups and would like to find a better transport storage system than a 5 gallon bucket.  If anyone has some tips/pics they would be appreciated! I might have to check out a toolbox.  They would be stacked on top of each other though, which may lead to some tangling problems similar to a 5gal bucket, but at least if a tackle box got tossed around on the way to my fishing spot, they would still be in the tackle box.

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2012, 03:48 PM »
I have the round tip-ups....customized my sled last year so they just stand up in it, so they spent the summer there. 

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2012, 08:10 PM »
This is what I use. At full capacity I have (5) 31" & (5) 20" wooden tip ups in this.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Here is the current setup I have with my gear and the toolbox I currently use. The box as I said gets kinda small at the base so that two tip ups don't fit very well in the bottom. I have 5 tip ups in the box but with lack of room to make dividers for them they become a mess in the box. II guess I will have to keep looking for a better way to separate my tip ups without then geting tangled but still being protected.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Great idea!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2012, 09:33 PM »
I have been primarily using my Fish Brother tipups. They sure make storage far easier because the storage container is part of the tipup.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2012, 01:50 PM »
Great idea!
I have converted a few of the guys in my fishing group to using this same box because it also has the functionality of holding any hooks, leaders or anything else you may use with the tip ups I just wish they had some with foam to hold the tulips similar to what they use in gun and rod cases. I emailed Frabill about the idea since they are now partnered with Plano but have gotten no response.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I borrowed the idea from someone on here, but I use a milk crate and added ~12" sections of 3"x4" plastic gutter downspout.  I can store 9 BD's perfectly.  If you like to store them flat, just tip the crate on it's side when you get home.

I used to use a tool box, but it takes up a lot of room (large footprint), and the tipup I wanted always seemed to be on the bottom!

Prayin' for cold

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Milk crates zip tied to the racks have always worked well for me, cheap functional and easily removed if/when needed.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2012, 05:43 PM »
I've got a similar Plano toolbox and can tote two Polars in the top tray and another two plus two Windlasses below.

I like the two small boxes on top: tippy lights, depth finders, split shot, nails (for dead bait) etc..........

Solutions? Take a saw to those BDs  ;D.......... probably not. I do like the milk crate/downspout idea and use that ad infinitum for musky bait storage. Cheap, customizable and well easy to do. You may want to check that option. Heck, I may want to check that option, but I just don't carry that many tippys. Might serve for some tackle or whatever storage as well. I'm going to think about that................

Good luck IF28........

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline MrMeiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2012, 06:59 PM »
This past winter we made some rough tip-up holders out of 3x4 plastic downspout and used little plastic pop rivets to connect them into 1 unit.  Instead of hogging up valuable sled space with them, I think we'll just get the cheapest duffel bag or backpack to carry them out in.
FLAG!

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:28 PM »
Here's my home-made tip up caddy:

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2012, 07:41 PM »
This works for my Polars. Cheap and Redneck ;D.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2012, 04:26 PM »
This works for my Polars. Cheap and Redneck ;D.
(Image removed from quote.)

And if she ever tells you to go take a walk and not come back, the most important stuff is already packed........... ::)

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline churley918

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Have you looked at something like the Cabela's Tip-Up Bag?  I have a few bags from Beaver Damn which holds 3 tip ups but it doesn't look like they make them anymore....  These are nice for running out your spread - I hang it off the back of the quad run out, pop a hole & pull one out - Same for pulling them in.

Soft sided but I haven't had a tip up break yet.  Also hang the bag on the garage wall and keeps them horizontal - so no problems with grease leaking out.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:23 AM »
This is what I use. At full capacity I have (5) 31" & (5) 20" wooden tip ups in this.

why would you need to carry all that equipment?? ???

Offline tokr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:03 PM »
I keep my Polar tipups and Polar windlass tipups in the nylon bags from those cheap folding lawn chairs.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:50 AM »
My wife sewed one for me out of a fleece outer and canvas inside. Even put pockets on. It's sweet!!

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline fishmunkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2013, 02:13 PM »
Can you please post a picture of what your wife sewed up?

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:19 PM »
Yea I got pic on my phone here. Get them up.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:34 PM »

It has draw strong top and cAnvas lining. 2 Velcro pockets

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:54 AM »
plastic laundry basket

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:51 PM »
 I leave them in a 5 gallon bucket in my utility room or garage.

Bullelk34

« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:38 PM »

It has draw strong top and cAnvas lining. 2 Velcro pockets

I see she let you borrow her pink sweat pats, too......   :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.