The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Auger Problem! Interesting!!!!!  (Read 24626 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Strikemaster Auger Problem! Interesting!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:36 PM »
Phone calls to SM and all I get is "that is the correct tank for your unit". Letters to Customer support don't get answered and here I sit with a new tank that has to be forced and broken to make it work.
There is nothing I am doing wrong- The part is wrong or was made wrong and they just won't accknowledge the problem.

Very disappointing from one of the leaders in our sport!!!!!

Gee Gary,  From your original post I could swear your mad at SM!  I'd run my auger company the same way. :-\ 

OH YEA, This is purely a Tecumseh problem so those who feel I was slamming SM and those who think I should junk this auger and go for a jiffy should probably take a look at who made the engine on your auger!!!!!!!

Slamming YES!  dumping your auger, NO!  Yeah, the motor's made by the same company, but the engine IS different.  One thing seems clear, I can't say Jiffy will give you the same "Quality" service that SM gave you eh? 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:59 PM »
OH YEA, This is purely a Tecumseh problem so those who feel I was slamming SM and those who think I should junk this auger and go for a jiffy should probably take a look at who made the engine on your auger!!!!!!!
I think they will come up with a replacment tank that will fit and that this is an isolated problem most likely caused by the vendor of the plastic tanks.

Gary I wish you luck and anyone else in getting stuff like this resolved.  It sounds like maybe they are coming around somewhat.

But…

…I still see this a Strikemaster problem with their customer service.  Were they to blame for the defect?  Nope, but they sell the augers, not the engine maker, and must work these things out with the manufacture of their components.  What they should have done was tell you that they would investigate and work things out and get back to you ASAP with some additional customer satisfaction promise thrown in (like a hat or something would be nice).  Jeez, if Ford sells you a car and the stereo doesn’t work, they have to replace it or repair it for you.  You shouldn’t have to contact some stereo manufacturer to fix it!  As long as they are on top of the problem and intend to keep you, the innocent customer, happy, then that is cool, but they shouldn’t just blow you off saying that you have the right part.  They need to get it right, period, or start putting different engines on their units.

In other words, you don't see the manufacturer of the gas tank advertising in ice fishing magazines.  Who stands the most to lose here?  The seller of the product that you bought is entirely responsible and should stand by what they sell, period.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:05 PM »
Gee Barleydog, I had a real problem, came here for some advice and got lots!
Some of it was great, some not so great.
Yes I was pissed and I think, rightfully so!
Others may agree or disagree.

The facts are that in the end the problem area was found, I am mearly correcting or redirecting the party with whom I should be pissed!

I still think Strike Master should be correcting this problem but then sometimes they don't know of a problem until us fisherman who use their products bring it to their attention.
I really believe the result of my campain will be that all SM owners who have similar problems will benefit from my efforts.

Sorry you can't agree that sometimes we as fisherman have to resort to other tactics to get the desired results.

I could not care less what engine they put on what auger or who's name goes on it!
My only care is that the company who makes it stands behind it and I really think Tecumseh will step up and fix THEIR PROBLEM!

I agree I was wrong to fault a very nice lady who works at SM and has possibly never drilled a hole with an SM auger and might not understand the problem.
She has information in front of her that has been proven unreliable thru my efforts.
Even Toothfish gave me the same info but I think the pictures tell the story and my subsequent efforts have shown there is a problem.

Did I miss some point you where attempting to make?

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Agreed FatBoy! I have no doubt, now that Strike Master is aware of this problem that I and all of us will be covered as long as Tecumseh steps up and really corrects this BS.
Guess I have to consider just how many guys have their auger fall over while in the shed in JULY and break their tanks. Too bad I had to be the test case and uncover a problem.

Thought I was doing the right thing by bringing it to ours and their attention but evidently, you can only please some people some of the time.

Gary

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:20 PM »
I dont know how I missed the start of this thread but I just finished reading it from start to finish..partly because just this afternoon I was looking at purchaseing a SM auger.

Gamalot, I agree with you on this matter, you have every right to be Upset with SM, It should not matter to the customers who they order or purchase their parts from...... SM should take the responsibilty for the defect you bought a SM auger not a Tecumseh.

Im glad in the end they are working on this issue..I will not hold it against them when I decide to purchase..but I will remember

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:41 PM »
Thanks IceJunky! Don't let the small stuff change your mind.
I will still go right out and buy another SM auger if the need arises!
Have nothing against any of them but with two Strike Masters in my stable that have never failed me and this tiny problem mostly caused by my own negligence and a really dumb manufacturing problem, I am not willing to jump ship.
I have to go back to this question, How does Strike Master or any manufacturer know the parts they are buying are not right if we don't tell them???
I directed my anger at SM and particularly their Customer Service never thinking for a minute that the nice lady I was speaking with could easily have been my wife or daughter and really know very little about the mechanics. MY BAD! I appologize.

Bet I Get-R-Done now!!! ;D

Offline izzyfender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:47 PM »
this is why you should never buy a strikemaster. i have meet tons of people on the ice that have problems with their 2 year old strike masters and i end up drilling them holes with my 12 year old 3hp jiffy. Jiffy makes the best power augers hands down.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2005, 04:34 PM »
I have to go back to this question, How does Strike Master or any manufacturer know the parts they are buying are not right if we don't tell them???

Gary, glad things are working out.  In the end, if everyone cooperates it's good for the customers and good for their business.  Customer feedback and quality control issues should be taken seriously by any business that wants to stay competitive.  But, to answer your question, yes, they need to listen, but more importantly they need to test their products and have good quality control procedures during production.

And, anger is understandable, but if you always deal with folks professionally and/or courteously and try to suppress emotions, you'll get much better cooperation and results.

I think that Barleydog pretty much has been saying the same things in a different sort of way, that ultimately Strikemaster must solve the problem.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:07 PM »
Man I have the same auger reading all this makes me hope mine never breaks ughhh what a mess.  >:(

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Posted on: Today at 04:47 PMPosted by: izzyfender 
Insert Quote
this is why you should never buy a strikemaster. i have meet tons of people on the ice that have problems with their 2 year old strike masters and i end up drilling them holes with my 12 year old 3hp jiffy. Jiffy makes the best power augers hands down.

I suspect you come from an area where folks just don't winterize their gear properly!
I don't care what auger you own, they don't work for squat if the get rode hard and put up wet!

Jiffy's are nice augers, so are Strike Masters and a couple of others. It is all in how you treat them.
I slam dunked mine in the shed in JULY! Has nothing to do with the auger being bad, just a slight problem with an aftermarket parts issue and Strike Master and Tecumseh are on the case.
I am absolutely confident this will get resolved favorably and I hope you never need me to drill any holes- But I always will.

Gary

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2005, 12:52 AM »
Gary,
Actually I was on your side from the get-go!  Fat Boy's correct, I was attempting to help you not hinder.  Perhaps it was the context of my presentation in backing you, and your problem that confused you?  Try not to read into anyone's reply to deep and never let them offend you, (I think Izzyfender was probably burnt once by a SM product.) ;)  I understand pride of ownership, however, customer service comes first in my eyes!  I was merely backing your judgment on SM and their customer service.  I STILL sense by your recent replies, that your still a little steamed? ??? :D :D   I wouldn't hire incompetence at my company even if it were my mother or daughter.  Holding a company to the highest standard was and is your right!  Good on you.
I had questions concerning SM products for some time.  I don't care if Tecumseh or anyone makes the engines, it still has SM's name on it!   Placing a cheesy plastic choke lever on my auger that broke 120 miles from home ticks me off!  What further perturbs me is that it happened twice to me and my fishing bud.  The throttle is made of "tinny" plastic, (also broke a lonnnnggggg  ways from home.)  My gas tank separated and split open at -30, (close to home.)  All these problems are unacceptable living in rural Alaska!  I depend on products that will last.  I had problems with my auger and therefore am not pleased with the company one bit.  I have several friends who have SM augers.  One of them (ironically) had problems with SM's Customer Service Dept, coincidence eh? but I actually feel for you because of his fiasco!  All in all, I hope your not reading in depth?  Heck, I hadn't a clue whether you were down an auger and needed a quick fix!  That's why I referenced the hot solder gun trick. ;)  Glad your problems are resolved, no bad feelings.  -Barleydog

Fatboy, your reference to the company taking note of IS's topics are dead on!  Those that have problems with their units, should sound off to the company!  The Shanty is a great reference for SM or any other "Product Pimp" to understand what's going on in the fishing community.  Heck it can at least wake or shake them up!  Show them how peeved some folks are with their product, or even pleased with it!  It's great to give recognition to those companies that deserve a pat on the back.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2005, 03:28 AM »
Wow, what a thread!!!  I too own an SM 2000.  I've had it for 6 years now.  During the second season the plastic throttle lever split on the seam, releasing the cable.  I just couldn't bring myself to order the replacement part for $9 and then pay $9 more for shipping!!!  I ended up rigging my own replacement which doesn't work that well.  Anyway looks like this year I'll have to break down an order the part.  Why not just make it right to begin with??  I'd feel better if the replacement was better quality than the original.  Then I would know that SM at least realized there was a problem with the original if they decided to upgrade.  Nope, looks like I'm stuck with the overpriced cheesy plastic one again!  Just my 2 cents.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:05 AM »
Thanks for clearing my head Barleydog, Must be I did read too deep!

At any rate, I am learning a thing or two here and one is that although SM or Jiffy or Echo or Nills puts their name on an auger, they don't make the integral parts of it.
This is a function of the engine manufacturer and in many cases that is Tecumseh.
I do agree before any company hangs their reputation on a product they should be absolutely certain it is of good quality.
Apparently there are issues with many augers and the parts used to keep them running. I seriously doubt any one of them are with out issues such as mentioned in this thread.

I woke up CS at SM and the ball is rolling to get this fixed. I do feel a bit bad because the problem is more in Tecumseh's lap then it is a SM problem. Same with the throttle cable problems. Tecumseh made it and provides the parts.
We are a bit too quick at slamming SM or Jiffy when in fact Tecumseh is the maker and should be held accountable no matter who's name goes on it.
A quick look around in your garden shed will probably show many items of various make with Tecumseh engines and the same cheap parts and mechanisms.
I agree that Strike Master or Jiffy are responsible in the end but am still not willing to lay all the blame on their door step.
I will certainly be paying a great deal more attention the next time I buy a auger, chainsaw, lawn mower, weed wacker, leaf blower, generator or about any other item that has an engine. If Tecumseh does not care to make quality products then they have no place in my home and I don't care if it says Sears, John Deere, Strike Master, Jiffy or any other name brand on them.
I bought a Ford Explorer and it had Firestone tires that were deadly. I have since bought other Fords but have been steadfast about never owning a Firestone tire again. If the dealer refused to provide a vehicle with another brand of tire, I did not and will not buy it.
It was Tecumseh who was fully aware of this misfit tank problem and told me how to properly streatch the tab over the stud knowing very well that it is not right.
It will be Tecumseh who I will hold accountable to fix this BS.

Gary

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:24 AM »
Customer service has to deal with angry customers it's their job and they know if a customer isn't getting what they need than they will get an earfull. If SM was a good Company they would look closely at this situation and get it corrected. It sounds like Customer service just passes the buck forcing you to do all the leg work for them. They stink! Getting paid to pass the buck!! **censored**! I can understand this is an expensive investment at least for my paycheck but I would sell that junk, let them know and take chances with another brand. Just my two cents who cares if you hurt someones feelings on the phone you still can't use your auger!

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:31 AM »
It's SM's responsibility to deal with the engine manufacturer not your's. It's still SM's product. Firestone corrected the problem because Ford put the heat on them!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 30, 2005, 08:25 AM »
It's SM's responsibility to deal with the engine manufacturer not your's. It's still SM's product. Firestone corrected the problem because Ford put the heat on them!

NOT TRUE! Firestone refused to do anything at all until the government and law suits started rolling in when the trucks started rolling over.

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #46 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:35 AM »
I wonder. does Tecumseh produce the throttle cable for SM and the linkage for Jiffy or do SM and Jiffy produce their own? I also wonder why they use different fuel tanks on the same engine. Perhaps this is also specified by the auger manufacturer. I'm sure someone on here has this info.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 30, 2005, 08:25 PM »
You're correct Gamlot, It still isn't the responsibility of the consumer. In a whole the product is a Strikemaster they need to back the product. If I purchase A Ford and the engine is made by Mazda and I go to the Ford dealer for a part or a warranty item they better not tell me it's not there responsibility and that I have to go deal with Mazda. Just doesn't work that way Still a Ford. Its a Strikemaster.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:29 PM »
Believe me when I tell you, Strike Master is on the case!
I have been in constant contact all week long and it is the Customer Service lady contacting me.
As much as I do agree this problem should be handled by SM, I do have to consider the timing here and give CS a break. Holidays, short weeks and the start of the season and no doubt they are busy and probably swamped.
I do have faith in my contact at SM and I am sure she will make this right if she can.
We still have to remember, the engine, tank, and alot of the other parts are Tecumseh and if they don't have or will not make correct tanks to fit the products they produce and sell to SM then it might take some doing to get this corrected.
We shall see, I have another auger and I have this tank rigged so I can use this auger so I am in no rush as long as things are happening.
My original anger was the result of not being able to get thru on the phone to someone who could and would help. I now know they are in the very top of their bussiest season and we have all been there. Like one of those great days on the ice when all five flags pop at nearly the same time-some fish just have to wait.

You can be sure I will post the results and also that SM has not let me down at all except for being spread a bit to thin and not getting right back to me.
Guess I deserve some of the blame too because I knew I needed a tank way back in July but procrastinated about ordering it sooner.

Gary

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Aug 21, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Bean decided to move this generating it to be sent to me.
Actually it just brings up a sore subject for sure.

After spending much time on the phone with SM and on the phone with the head guy in manufacturing at Tecumseh I was told a fix would soon be found for this problem. The new tanks are made by a new vendor and they simply don't fit the models that are only a few years old.

Well, this was early last winter and here it is August and Strike Master and Tecumseh have totally BLOWN ME AND ALL OF US OFF.

Imagine any company like these telling the consumer the tab is too short so heat the GAS TANK and streatch it over the lug to make it fit.

I won't be buying another thing made by Strike Master or Tecumseh because they do not stand behind what they make!!!!!

Gary

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Aug 22, 2006, 09:44 AM »
That really stinks Gary that you couldn't get any reliable service.  :-\ Owning my own business I know that my best advertising is by word of mouth and that you should always strive to please the customer even if it may cost a few more bucks in the end to resolve the issue.  Keeping customers coming back and keeping them happy is the number one goal.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 11, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Interesting, i justr read through this whole thread.

I bought an Eskimo mako last March, mainly because they are the only ones not using Tecumseh Engines. Yes the Barracuda has Tecumseh, but everything else uses a High Performance Ardisam engine.

I also read on here how no one has had issues with Ardisam customer service. It is important for a company to stand behind their product. Strikemaster appears to have a problem doing this, and if the root of the problem is Tecumseh, then that does not bode well for anyone with a Tecumseh powered auger.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 11, 2006, 07:25 PM »
That is why I have a Tanaka(Nils)!!!!!

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:40 PM »
This is interesting and I'm glad I read it.  I have a Strike Master and had it for 8 years.  It has a vibration in it now an dthe gas tank is cracking but not leaking so I will get a new one this year.  I had two problems with the SM and that was the gas cap vent leaking and the throttle not working correctly.  Of course gas caps cost $17 or more and I could not fix the throttle problem.  After reading this I will get a Jiffy or Eskimo but haven't decided which one.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 14, 2006, 09:03 AM »
This is interesting and I'm glad I read it.  I have a Strike Master and had it for 8 years.  It has a vibration in it now an dthe gas tank is cracking but not leaking so I will get a new one this year.  I had two problems with the SM and that was the gas cap vent leaking and the throttle not working correctly.  Of course gas caps cost $17 or more and I could not fix the throttle problem.  After reading this I will get a Jiffy or Eskimo but haven't decided which one.

A Jiffy gas cap should fit your tank, I belive they cost around $10 for a new one. It may be worth just putting a few bucks into your auger to get it running better. Do a compression check, rebuild and adjust the carb, new plug and possibly new rings if the compression is low, drain the gas and add a fuel filter. There is a screen in the carb that acts as a feu filter this may clog over the years due to the fact there is not a inline fuel filter on from factory. I put new fuel line as well as an inline fuel filter (Used for Gasoline R/C Boats) that is cleanable to stop dirt from entering the carb, thus not having to tear it apart and clean the screen. The tecumseh motor will last a long time if taken care of properly. I have talked to guys on the ice that had there tecumseh for over 15 years and it still works good. Always run stabil and good oil at a ratio close to recommended. The ethanol that has been put into gas for years now is hard on the diaphrams in the carb and ethanol is hydroscopic, (absorbs water) so if let sit over time gas may collect moisture thus making your motor run poorly.

Offline rockysolid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish....Therefore I am.
« Reply #55 on: Nov 17, 2006, 08:52 AM »
After 20 years of wishing, I finally got my first auger two years as a X-mas gift. The wife bought me a Strikemaster, and I had nothing but horror stories with it the first month. Had to bring the first one back and get a replacement, which promptly crashed and burned the very next day on the ice. Walked in and put it on the counter and bought the biggest, baddest Jiffy they had and I've been in heaven ever since. There was WAY to much plastic on the SM, and it hated the cold. I'm sure there are a bunch of you that have them and are happy with them, but that.......Is just MHO.
If everyone who whined about the cold would move south, this would be a better place.

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #56 on: Nov 17, 2006, 12:54 PM »
After 20 years of wishing, I finally got my first auger two years as a X-mas gift. The wife bought me a Strikemaster, and I had nothing but horror stories with it the first month. Had to bring the first one back and get a replacement, which promptly crashed and burned the very next day on the ice. Walked in and put it on the counter and bought the biggest, baddest Jiffy they had and I've been in heaven ever since. There was WAY to much plastic on the SM, and it hated the cold. I'm sure there are a bunch of you that have them and are happy with them, but that.......Is just MHO.

My first new auger was an Eskimo. A corner blew out of the crank case on about the tenth hole I drilled with it. I took it to an authorized repair shop and they put a new engine on it. That was a month of using the old hand auger. When I got it back, I took it outside and made sure that it ran and took it to the bait shop and put it on the floor with a for sale sign on it. The first person to look at it bought it and I bought a Jiffy 3 hp 8". I used it for about 12 years and now I am on  about my 4th year with a 2 hp 8" stealth. I really can't bad mouth the Eskimo, because the guy is still using it and he drills more holes than I do. I just haven't seen a need for anything but a Jiffy since then. :D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rockysolid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish....Therefore I am.
« Reply #57 on: Nov 17, 2006, 06:53 PM »
In fairness I should add that DSG in Worcester & Millbury were awesome with this issue. I'm not much on boxstores, but this one has treated me well.

"Walked in and put it on the counter and bought the biggest, baddest Jiffy they had and I've been in heaven ever since."
If everyone who whined about the cold would move south, this would be a better place.

Offline FishwithBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:38 PM »
How to fix a Strikemaster ice auger plastic choke lever. Takes about 1/2 hour. You need to be a little handy to do this.
First remove the gas tank and gas line. Either drain the tank or place a plug on the gas line exit on the tank so you can work on it. Remember, you are working on a gas tank with gas near by so be careful with your tools - no sparks! You can usually use the choke lever that broke. Many are a red plastic lever and they break off easy if you are not careful, or make a new one out of a piece of metal. All you would do is cut and bend a small piece of metal to make the choke lever. You will need to remove any red plastic around the D shaped peg that remains sticking out of the gas tank itself. Many of the pegs are blue in color and D shaped. I used a dremel tool with a small grinding bit to remove the remainder of the red plastic that was attached to it when the lever broke off. If there is a fiber washer remove it also. Be careful not to damage the D shaped peg that comes out of the tank. If you have the choke lever that broke off you likely can reuse it. Here's how. Remove the small burr on the side of it (if it has one) making it flat on the side that will lay against the gas tank. Drill a hole in the center of the choke lever close to where it broke off, use a very small drill bit. Smaller than the D shaped peg that remains in the gas tank. I used the same dremel tool to make the D shape in the plastic. A very small drill bit would also work. Keep in mind you are carving in the D shape. Take your time and be careful not to make it to big as you want a snug fit. After you have it fitted place a very small screw or bolt with a very small washer on it in the center of the D shaped peg that the lever is now secured to. You want a very small screw or bolt that is snug but not one that will damage the D shaped peg. The peg was hollow in the center of the one I worked on, I just had to clean it out with a small pick and put a small screw in it with a small washer to make sure the choke lever would stay on. Now your ready to reinstall the gas tank and your good to go fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.