Author Topic: Leader board  (Read 814 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Leader board
« on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:30 PM »
I am tired of coiled up leaders on my tipups. I use 80# and it has a memory like my wife. Does anyone use some sort of board for storing leaders between trips? I was thinking of using a board maybe 30inches with a rubber band on either end. Any other suggestions? Don't say wire leaders.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Re: Leader board
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:44 PM »
I use pool noodles.  Just cut off 12"-18" piece and stick 6 finishing nails (1 penny) in it.  Put the swivel on the nail and wrap around.  Bury hook in foam.  It does still leave a bit of a coil, but way better than on the reel.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Pool noodles or lindy rig holders. Then just keep a piece of leather in there with them and use that between your fingers to straighten leaders. That's how fly tippet is straightened and it works GREAT.

Or you can go to wire leaders  :P
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Only someone from southern iowa would tell another to do something they said they didn't want to do.  :P

The pool noodle would work but I like my straight leader idea better.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:27 PM »
I was expecting to see some big fish in this thread.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Yes, I did an excellent job with the thread title, I know.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:17 AM »
I put my floro leaders inside pipe insulation.  Separate the pre cut slit, stick the hook into the top and run the leader material down the center.

Jason

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:44 AM »
When I thought about this a long time ago, I had always wanted to do the pool noodle.  Not for wrapping line around it, but for the long ways.  I really wanted that one pool noodle that had the ribbed outside.  It would help to prevent leader lines from getting caught on other things while moving around.

Cut maybe 36-48" long.  Leader with hook buried on the end of one side.  I was thinking about small finishing nails to pin the swivel into other noodle end.

Then a plastic bottle cut to fit the end of pool noodle where all the hooks are at or maybe just a nice plastic cup to cap that end of the pool noodle.  Because last thing I want is a hook to decide to walk off on it's own.

Then maybe a re-purposed carrying bag from one of my folding lawn chair or a pool cue bag.  Heck even an old shotgun rifle soft carrying bag.  Yes, I'm on the hunt for fish.  ;D
I hate to have some line damage from just tossing things around.

I never did bring this to fruition, but had always been in the back of my mind.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.