Author Topic: Clam Plate cordless drill problem  (Read 2209 times)

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam Plate cordless drill problem
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:07 PM »
I just to a new Clam Plate auger and paired it with my Rigid 18v drill and am having some problems.  After only about 5 seconds of drilling the drill stops as if the battery is dead.  I let it rest for a few seconds and start drilling again for about 5 seconds before it dies again.  I was able only to get about 3 holes out of a 1.5 amp hour battery this way.  Today I bought a 4 amp hour battery for the drill and was able to punch out 4 holes uninterrupted but on the 5th hole the drill stopped mid way, although the battery indicated full.

My question is; does this sound like a broken drill or does my Rigid 18v drill just not have the balls for this application?
any insight is greatly appreciated

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Plate cordless drill problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:00 PM »
What is your ft pounds of torque

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:56 PM »
how does it cut with out the drill? does it have dull blades? what drill is it? what size is the auger?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:39 PM »
I would say its probably more likely its your auger being too big, too dull, or blade pitch being off. The more work your drill has to do, the more amperage it takes. It will also shut off if there is too much load.

Of course auger being too big is the same as the drill being too weak- there is a balance and that is 100 in/lb torque per inch of auger. 600 for 6", 700 for 7", 800 for 8" etc.

I'll take a wild guess and say you might have this drill https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-2-Speed-1-2-in-Compact-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-2-1-5-Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Tool-Bag-R860052K/205690161 and trying to turn an 8" auger. Something is really miss-matched for it to high current shut off after 5 seconds like that. That drill is 450 in/lb I think.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:04 AM »
You really need to say what size auger you have and the "# the drill is. other than that no one can help. If it is the Clam auger what size? Again what model Drill is it? how many inch pounds?
<===Lefty===

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:37 AM »
It is that rigid drill in the link and i believe the torque is 450 in/lbs.  The auger is a 6" Eskimo with new sharp blades.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Unfortunately I think you just have too weak of a setup. I used a ryobi with 450 in/lb last year, with 4ah batteries and it turned my 5" mora just fine (slow, but fine) but struggled with a 6". I upgraded this year to a 750 in/lb brushless and 6" lazer with a clam plate and it works great.

This would be a good drill upgrade for you, if you want to stick with the 6" auger. Youll get two more batteries and another charger also. This one is 750 in/lb and brushless.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Compact-Hammer-Drill-with-2-1-5-Ah-Batteries-and-18-Volt-Charger-R861162SB/304583628
EYECONICFISHING

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:20 PM »
I use a DeWalt 20 amp. with 4amp.hr lithium bat. on a clam plate,this is my 5th yr using the same setup, I mostly  target pan fish and  I use a 5"strikemaster lazer auger  and never have had a problem. I jump around allot and can get at least 80 holes in around 1 ft of ice with a new battery. Sometime I use a 6" same type auger if fishing for other game fish and don't get as many holes but again never had a problem. my drill has 3 speeds and I always use the slow speed. As stated earlier I think you are under powered or have an auger issue ???   

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:30 PM »
It is that rigid drill in the link and i believe the torque is 450 in/lbs.  The auger is a 6" Eskimo with new sharp blades.
there you go. drill is too small for the auger.

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:54 PM »
Thanks all! This re-affirmed my suspicion. Gonna upgrade the drill

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:31 PM »
I just to a new Clam Plate auger and paired it with my Rigid 18v drill and am having some problems.  After only about 5 seconds of drilling the drill stops as if the battery is dead.  I let it rest for a few seconds and start drilling again for about 5 seconds before it dies again.  I was able only to get about 3 holes out of a 1.5 amp hour battery this way.  Today I bought a 4 amp hour battery for the drill and was able to punch out 4 holes uninterrupted but on the 5th hole the drill stopped mid way, although the battery indicated full.

My question is; does this sound like a broken drill or does my Rigid 18v drill just not have the balls for this application?
any insight is greatly appreciated
with a 1.5amp hour battery? I don't think such a low capacity battery would cut at all. (I am using a Milwaukee M18 9.0 amp hour battery to power my Milwaukee M18 FUEL drill with up-to 1,200 in-lb torque to drill holes on ice:-)
Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.