The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fishing In Early December???  (Read 2616 times)

Offline LongLostHermit

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing In Early December???
« on: Oct 30, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm heading to the ice fishing shows in St Paul, and Duluth for work in December and have a few days to kill in between.  I was hoping to get on the ice for at least one of them.  It's my first time in MN so I was looking for some info on what lakes might be fishable by then and if there were any recommended guides or services to use.  Never had to use guide services before but figured it might be worth it on this trip since I've never been there. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing In Early December???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Upper Red is usually one of the first to have solid ice. They're usually driving wheelers by thanksgiving

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2019, 11:56 AM »
Red is great but not really on the way to duluth. Do you want to keep fish or just catch nice ones? Mille Lacs might be a great option for big walleye if froze but might not be able to keep any. Another area would be from brainerd to grand rapids, more lakes than one can imagine.  Handful of guides also.

Offline LongLostHermit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I won't have the stuff with me to keep anything so I'm just looking to catch some fish and learn some new waters/techniques.  Time to start the "googling..."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2019, 06:43 PM »
There are times when I just go out just to go out to walk on the ice and drill a hole.

Simple local lakes, like White Bear, Forest Lake, or whichever I feel like scoping out.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline LongLostHermit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:15 AM »
There are times when I just go out just to go out to walk on the ice and drill a hole.

Simple local lakes, like White Bear, Forest Lake, or whichever I feel like scoping out.

That's the way I like to do it back here in NY.  The mountains around me are loaded with small lakes and ponds that usually don't disappoint. 

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:33 AM »
LLH - fyi, we've had a warmup that ate much of our early ice that formed over much of the southern and central portion of the state.  With the forecast snow this week, it's gonna be tough finding truly safe ice easy anywhere significantly south of Duluth.  After the St. Paul show, up near Duluth should have solid options.  If you have time, I'd look over near Grand Rapids.   

Offline LongLostHermit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2019, 06:08 AM »
LLH - fyi, we've had a warmup that ate much of our early ice that formed over much of the southern and central portion of the state.  With the forecast snow this week, it's gonna be tough finding truly safe ice easy anywhere significantly south of Duluth.  After the St. Paul show, up near Duluth should have solid options.  If you have time, I'd look over near Grand Rapids.   

Thanks!

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2019, 07:22 AM »
Geiger's Resort on Bowstring reports 4 wheelers going out as of yesterday . Might want to check with them.
Oops! is too late.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.