Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Walleye

jigging raps

(1/1)

gill:
 ??? eh everyone. i'm new to hardwater walleye fishing. i heard jigging raps are good baits for eyes. just wondering you guys can help me out on your favorite sizes and colors for them. thanks.

iceintheveins:
I would start out with the two inch (size 5), and two and a half (size seven). The most important thing is to match the size of your rap to the size of the forage. Here in Colorado, where the forage is small, I use even the small size 3, which is 1 and one half inches long.
I like gold, chartreuse, perch, silver blue, and orange. Don't forget the Nils Master jigging shads either. They have a fatter profile and imitate shad and small panfish better. Tip with a small minnow head, no bigger than your pinky fingernail, and simply lift once every 20 seconds, followed by pauses with shakes and jiggles.

Tyler

Trevor:
Most of my walleyes are caught on jiggin raps.  I've used every size successfully,  from #9 down to #2.  I would recommend starting with a #5 however and see how they react.  As for color that depends on water coloration/clarity, depth, weather, existing forage, and a mess of other factors.  Just experiment.  The colors I find myself using most often are Silver Flo Chart and silver.  I use Nils jigging shads as well but prefer the action of the rap.  The jigging rap is easily my favorite lure for both perch and walleye.  I must own at least 50 of the things.  Wife keeps asking why I need so many...lol

WolverineX:
Hello Guys   Yes i fell the same way,start with #5s. See how they react. Have had great luck with the #7 also. Let the fish tell you what they want. As far as color i like the sudle colors myself. Silver/Black,Gold/Black,Natural Perch. Some lakes in my area do go for the bright colors also. Oh ya, the first thing i do when i buy them,get some Mustad triple Grip Hooks, size #8. Better hook ups with the biggers hooks. BECARFUL changing them hooks!!!!!  Good luck Guys

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version