Author Topic: Ice fishing Northwest Bc  (Read 7006 times)

Ice Gido

Ice fishing Northwest Bc
« on: Dec 05, 2003, 12:02 AM »
Hello everyone.  Checking to see if are any active ice fishers in Northwest BC.   ??? Seems all the forums are to the east.  It would be nice to hear from someone closer.  I've been practicing most of my hardwater tactics in the Hazelton, Meziadin and Terrace areas.

Anyone out there?

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
Re:Ice fishing Northwest Bc
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:55 PM »
Sorry I am from the Southeast corner of BC.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2003, 06:45 PM »
Used to treeplant in your neck of the woods Ice Gido. I'm 4hrs east of Terrace at Cluculz lake. I fish as far west as Fraser lake. In summer I head up the Babine river for some salmon fishing. Ice fishing is unfortunately not that popular in northern BC. Nice though as lots of times my lakes only have me and a buddy on. Good luck this year and let me know if you venture up my way. ;D

Ice Gido

« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2003, 11:08 PM »
Nice to hear from you Terrygonefishing, I was beginning to wonder if I was alone out here.  Have passed by Cluculz Lake many times on my way East or South -- have entertained the idea of checking it out, but we are always on our way somewhere else.  

When ice fishing we try to stay within a couple of hours from home, so Smithers has been our limit to the East.  However, one of my fishing buddies and I were thinking of taking the plunge (no pun intended) and heading to Babine Lake or Fraser Lake to see if we could get some Burbot  :-\ -- get to try a new area and neither of us has ever fished for burbot. Can you offer any words of wisdom on the lakes and/or Burbot.

Living out here I also enjoy  ;D salmon fishing.  Again the 2 hour rule applies and we concentrate mainly on the Skeena and take the odd trip to the Kalum, Lakelse, Nass, Tseax and Kitimat rivers.

Tight lines.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2003, 05:20 AM »
Check out the eelpout link (burbot) Lots of good info there. Was talking with conservation officer re burbot in Fraser lake and he was telling me that a 15lber was caught the last day he checked there. I like the 5-10lbers. If looking for a good spot out your way, call up local C.O.s they are a wealth of info. Any big lake usually holds them and they love the cold H2o. Good luck. ;)

Fishmaster Cid

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:01 PM »
Hi... im new to the northwest and was wondering where the good ice fishing spots were this time of year...

Ice Gido

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2003, 12:33 AM »
Hi Fishmaster Cid,  Welcome to the Northwest, hope  you are enjoying your stay here.  Where in the Northwest are you?  I'm in Terrace and normally spend most of my time on Lakelse Lake. The Lakelse is not ready for fishing yet, so I've been hitting the small lakes close to home -- been catching some nice 14/15 inch cuthroat.

Ice Gido

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2003, 09:25 PM »
Terrygonefishing, thanks for the tips. Checked out the eelpout link and next time I'm in contact with the CO's I'll be quizing them.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2003, 01:19 PM »
They are very free with their info. Just tell them what you are after. I phone them up frequently during the winter to see where the most ling are being caught, what sizes and of course what people are catching them on.(as they have to check lines) Local sporting goods stores are sometimes OK but as far as icefishing goes I think alot of them prescribe to the notions of sitting on the ice and waiting for the fish to come to them in as their fathers and grandfathers have taught them. I'm sure the stores out your way are more geared to summer river fishing. I usually fish from 3pm till dark for trout then out comes the glow in the dark jigs for burbot after that time. I find the best bite for burbot comes the first 2 hrs after the sun goes down. Also excellent in late Feb-early March as they are spawning at that time. Good luck .

Mad Max

« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2004, 10:59 PM »
Hello there.  New here just this evening.  Saw your note and thought I'd respond.  I am also in B.C. - Prince George to be exact.  I like to ice fish but have not had many opportunities lately.  This year the ice is nice and thick already and there is a fair bit of snow now so hope to get out for some rainbow and brookies soon.  How has the fishing been in your area Ice Gido?

Hello everyone.  Checking to see if are any active ice fishers in Northwest BC.   ??? Seems all the forums are to the east.  It would be nice to hear from someone closer.  I've been practicing most of my hardwater tactics in the Hazelton, Meziadin and Terrace areas.

Anyone out there?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2004, 11:27 PM »
Man o Man Mad Max, you are breathing down my neck. I'm from PG area. What lakes have you been out to this year? I got on ice in late October. Gotta love the ice oppurtunities up here heh! Good luck & maybe see you on the ice.
Terry
PS: With -30 C tonight it should get Cluculz close to icing.

Ice Gido

« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2004, 06:47 PM »
Hi Mad Max.  Welcome to the site, it's good to hear from another BC ice fisherman.  Haven't been practicing my hardwater tactics much lately.  Spent Christmas on Vancouver Island, just got home on New Years Eve - told my wife that we should have fished our way home, but she and my son didn't want any part of that idea.

Went fishing yesterday, it was pretty slow, only saw 7 fish landed between 3 guys in 4 hours.  I got the "big one", a 2 or so pound rainbow.   We were going to try another spot today, but life got in the way.  Hoping to hit the ice tomorrow.

The ice here is pretty thin and sugary - 2 layers each about 3" thick.  It makes funny noises and sinks when you stand too close together.  Hopefully, it will thicken up in the next couple of days and we will be able to venture a bit further afield.

Keep us posted when you get out fishing.

Mad Max

« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:55 PM »
Hello Terry.
Unfortunately I haven't been out to any lakes yet this season.  I do like to ice fish but my opportunities are few and far between.  I am planning to get out in February to Crystal Lake.  Usually latch on to a rainbow or brookie if we're lucky.  Yes this 30 below stuff will sure tighten up any loose lakes for sure.  It also keeps me off the ice for a while.  These old bones can't take too much of the cold any more.  I like to ice fish in slightly warmer temps.  You mentioned Cluculz Lake.  Do you have a cabin there?  What species of fish do you catch there?  I have never tried Cluculz.  
Gotta run.  Talk to you later I hope.

Man o Man Mad Max, you are breathing down my neck. I'm from PG area. What lakes have you been out to this year? I got on ice in late October. Gotta love the ice oppurtunities up here heh! Good luck & maybe see you on the ice.
Terry
PS: With -30 C tonight it should get Cluculz close to icing.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2004, 03:31 AM »
Cluculz lake is a great fishery. Can be hot & cold though. I catch kokanee, burbot, rainbows, laketrout up to 50lbs, mountain whitefish. I live in the cluculz lake area but am not on the lake. Drove down there yesterday morning and there is ice all the way across it. She is only going to get thicker from here on. Was   -37C this morning on my thermometer at the house. Yeah I don't like to fish in this weather either. I have not fished Crystal in 20 years but I remember it having good size rainbows. Good luck and maybe see you on the ice. I am busy up till end of Feb but we could connect on Cluculz if you so wish. March is a nice month there as gets fairly warm (above 0 C) and the burbot fishing gets real good then.
Terry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.