Colorado > Ice Fishing Colorado

Snow Dog

(1/3) > >>

rgwaldron:
I know most Colorado Lakes don't allow ATVs or Snow machines, but does anyone know if they allow Snow Dogs ?  I think it would help get around easier and be able to fish more but it's pretty spendy if you can't use it many places. I'm mostly interested in lakes close to Colorado Springs, like Eleven mile, Antero, and Chatfield.

JohnnyO19:
There is a guy that takes his out on Cherry Creek all the time, pretty sure it's illegal there

skifisher:
My guess is if CPW doesn’t allow snowmobiles, etc. on a certain body of water, Snowdogs wouldn’t be allowed either. “Motorized Vehicle”? 
I would check with CPW for clarification.

_colorado:
I fished last week at Ft. Peck MT and the two fellas in the room next door at the motel were from Colorado (Conifer and Evergreen).  They each had snowdogs which they made from discarded snowmobiles.  I asked the same question and they both said there was no way they would try to take them out on CO lakes and risk Denver (or Aurora or...) Water placing even more restrictions on water access.  Very considerate of them.  They looked pretty cool when they mushed past my hut and they said they hit a top speed of about 11 mph.  Pretty darn cool.  I truly don't get the restrictions on sleds or snowdogs.  I mean, a two stroke motor throws out a lot more pollutants than either (a boat can troll all day but a sled or snowdog only are used to get from Point A to Point B). Way less opportunity to pollute....but it only takes one...I get it.

rgwaldron:
Yeah. i saw a few at the Burbot Bash at Flaming Gorge a few weekends ago and a guy that had one said it only weighed about 250 lbs  and would go up to about 20 mph and could travel on 3 inch of ice. kind of makes sense because you don't sit on it like a snow machine or ATV that your weight is more distributed. It didn't seem to put out more exhaust than a gas auger. It would really open up the lake to you.  I'm not even sure what the reason is they don't let you use motorized vehicles. Is it pollution, risk of falling thru? I've heard in other places they just impose a fine if you break thru which puts it on the user. and what if you had some kind of air bag system to keep it floating so it wouldn't sink. as think as eleven mile gets i really don't think it's much of a risk except in the very early and late ice seasons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version