Author Topic: Ct. ice camping questions.  (Read 3187 times)

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ct. ice camping questions.
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:42 AM »
 I love camping as much as I love fishing, and since I live an hour or more from my favorite lakes, it only makes sense to camp on the ice to catch the early morning bite. I've learned so much from lowaccord66's great ice camping thread, and I'm about a week away from having what I need to attempt my first solo ice camping trip, but I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with. Especially which lakes allow overnite parking at access points. I really don't care which lake I go to, although a walleye lake would be nice. State parks post they close at sunset. Does that mean I can't do Squantz pond? Also was thinking of Lili by the steel bridge. I don't want to camp too far from car or have to go down a hill with packed tippy sleds if possible. Any suggestions anywhere in Ct. would be appreciated.
  I also wonder if I should leave a note on my window saying "i'm ice fishing followed by my cell phone number." Could this encourage thieves?  Finally, has anyone taken valuable equipment, but left shelter set up, but vacant on the ice overnite. I've considered sleeping in my car if things aren't working out. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I hope to post about a great trip on the ice.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ct. ice camping questions.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:00 AM »
It's ok to overnight park at CT state owned boat launches. Many of the launches are in state parks, but you should not get hassled if you are fishing. Once in a while they want to check for booze, just because. Pretty sure guys fish Squantz at night.

No guarantees if you leave stuff on the ice, but if it's a significant distance from shore it constitutes work to steal stuff. Work is antithesis to thieves so probably not much danger. I wouldn't leave a note for the reasons you gave. Be sure someone at home knows where you are and check in once in a while.

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:11 AM »
Thank you Eiderz for the info and quick response,

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:32 AM »
One more thought...if you leave the shanty on the ice unattended you might leave a note saying you went to the car. Then if Johnny do gooder comes by, he won't call 911 to report you missing through the ice.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:17 PM »
I have also heard of people calling the town police department ahead of time and letting them know that you will be out there and what you will be doing.  That way, when/if somebody calls, it's not an emergency.

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2022, 02:25 PM »
More good ideas. Thank you guys.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2022, 03:00 PM »
Make sure you don't have any outstanding warrants your plates will be run numerous times throughout the night ma and ct local police have nothing better to do late at night

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:09 AM »
"Make sure you don't have any outstanding warrants your plates will be run numerous times throughout the night ma and ct local police have nothing better to do late at night"

thanks, but I should be OK there.

Offline wrx2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:20 PM »
I’ve ice camped often and haven’t had any issues yet, hopefully it stays that way. If the police are that worried about the car parked they can run your info and call you to see why your car is there. As with leaving your shack on the ice, I never do short of making a quick run back to shore. As for camping, the ways to make it safer and more enjoyable. Foam floor mats, a heater (preferably one that has auto shutoff for low oxygen), CO detector, small fan/light combo, cot, table, luggable loo, and warm sleeping bag are a must.
-Josh

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2022, 05:38 AM »
 :o
Make sure you don't have any outstanding warrants your plates will be run numerous times throughout the night ma and ct local police have nothing better to do late at night
  ::) ::) ::)

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2022, 02:55 PM »
thanks wrx2017. I have everything on your list, except my small fan doesn't have a light. now I'm just trying to figure out where I want to go. I'm leaning toward Squantz, Wintergreen, Highland or Gardner. Since I'm retired, it would probably be during the week, when it's not as crowded.

Offline Iron_Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2022, 10:47 PM »
Might he a little late to the party but I can say this for sure.   Squantz is close by to me, I fish there after dark, and I remember a sign there stating that overnight parking is prohibited except for the purpose of fishing. 

Also.  I bought a kayak in 2020, and in that community the recommendation is to label your yak with your name and phone number, so that if it is found unattended, the first responders can try to make contact first, before going right to SAR.   

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2022, 09:00 AM »
thanks for the info Iron_Angler. I'm hoping to get up to Squantz Sunday afternoon and spend my first night camping on the ice. Alot of gear to pack for just one night, but if things go well I look forward to doing more extended trips.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2022, 09:50 AM »
If you need anything last minute Bob shoot me a pm.  Im 20 mins away in kent.

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2022, 03:45 PM »
lowaccord66, thanks for the offer. Hopefully I'm good, but I'll keep you in mind.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2022, 08:40 AM »
Just in case of emergencies.  Turns out ill be fishing 2ish until the bite stops.  Blue otter popup and flipover.  Taking a long hike from the launch.

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2022, 03:54 AM »
Lowaccord66, I camped off the beach, slept off an on, and think I heard you pass by. I will post my experience later today on your camping thread as soon as I figure out how to post pics  ;D. Hope your fishing was better than mine.   

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2022, 05:17 AM »
Lowaccord66, I camped off the beach, slept off an on, and think I heard you pass by. I will post my experience later today on your camping thread as soon as I figure out how to post pics  ;D. Hope your fishing was better than mine.

It was but I was a bit firther north in Mass.

Offline pepperdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2022, 07:09 AM »

In blue below the text box - P Add image to post    - then can add picture from local device

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2022, 10:29 AM »
Thank you pepperdawg, that was easy. I posted a report under lowaccord 66's ice camping thread in ice fishing general chit chat.

Offline wrx2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2022, 05:00 PM »
After a few outings you will get to know what works and what doesn’t. The more comfortable you make it, the more you have to pack out, so it is about balance. Here is what mine looks like.

-Josh

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2022, 05:08 PM »
Well done.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2022, 05:23 PM »
After a few outings you will get to know what works and what doesn’t. The more comfortable you make it, the more you have to pack out, so it is about balance. Here is what mine looks like.

Clean setup!

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2022, 08:37 AM »
wrx2017, one of the nicest set ups I've ever seen. Not cramped like mine.

Offline wrx2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2022, 09:11 AM »
wrx2017, one of the nicest set ups I've ever seen. Not cramped like mine.
Thanks, it took some time figuring it all out. A lot of research with a bit of trial and error. After a few years I’ve found what works for me. I have the big hub so if I have company it is still big enough for 2-3 to sleep. And when I am solo I have room to really spread out. If you have question about anything, feel free to reach out.
-Josh

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.