Author Topic: Powder painting jigs/lures  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Powder painting jigs/lures
« on: Jan 16, 2022, 08:35 PM »
Been thinking about giving it a shot for a while now. I get tired of never being able to find jig heads in colors I like in the right size or for a reasonable price (but it’s been that way since the lead ban). I also thought it would be cool to ditch the tape on trolling spoons and go with something more custom/rugged. Anyhow I bit the bullet today and ordered up some supplies. I was curious if anybody here had given it a go, how they thought it turned out, or tips/tricks. Appreciate any and all input.
-Keith
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Powder painting jigs/lures
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2022, 11:12 PM »
Nice, you won't regret it, whatever colors you want all the time. Just don't get the jigs too hot and melt the lead, if your going to dip right in the jar shake it up fist, clean all jig eyes before baking, have fun.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2022, 11:24 PM »
Jigs or lures the choice and colors will be your doing...

Durable and rugged as well

Do not overheat as stated by meandcuznalfy, keep the eyes cleaned out as you go and for a bulletproof finish cure them to the paint schedule.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2022, 01:44 AM »
I've been casting and painting my own for over 10 years now.
Building a nice fluid bed sure doesn't make it easier.
I don't mind using 3" ABS flat caps with an aquarium valve glued in to regulate the air from the aquarium pump.
A knockout test cap with a center removed easily hold in whatever filter membrane you choose to use to another section of ABS or PVC to make the cups.
If you prefer a two inch fluid bed just slip in a 3" to 2" adapter.
Super super easy to make and should cost you less than 10 bucks.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2022, 05:37 AM »
I did some for SW fishing...for best results you need a good set-up & to bake in an oven to cure the paint (preferably a large old toaster oven that isn't used for food).

After that I found someone on the web (tinman tackle) that can cast + paint SW jigheads better than I can, then I can add plastics (or wrap in bucktail as I want).

So, for me, it's not worth painting them anymore.  Once you get all the gear you need, really + truly add up all the costs, it's not worth it unless you are making 100's of jigs, selling them, or you can't get what you want any where else.  (Just my 2c)

For FW, there's enough tungsten jigheads + tin jigheads (leadfreejigheads + leadfreebassjigs) to keep me stocked up.

As far as tips, you need a powerful lighter or torch, los of powder paint in various colors, fluid bed, toaster oven, ventilation, PPE, gloves, pliers + drying rack.

Good luck!  :tipup:

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I have accumulated pretty much all of the suggested gear and fortunately won't be painting much if any lead, so I hopefully will not have to worry about overheating.

So, for me, it's not worth painting them anymore.  Once you get all the gear you need, really + truly add up all the costs, it's not worth it unless you are making 100's of jigs, selling them, or you can't get what you want any where else.  (Just my 2c)

I can understand that. If they had the colors I use most in stock on any of the various websites whether the ones you listed or the others timmytoms, tacklesmith, eco-pro etc etc. more frequently I probably wouldn't have jumped in. It was the catalyst for sure but once I realized I could customize my trolling/jigging spoons it solidified my decision. I find a certain pleasure in catching fish on flies/jigs I've tied or spoons i've custom taped so I'm hoping this will take the latter to a new level of quality and still solve my initial problem.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2022, 11:53 AM »
Let me give you an example of a scenario in which casting and painting in my own jigs really paid off.
Several years ago when I was still happily married we were planning an ice fishing trip.
I told my stepson that he should paint some fishing jigs that I had cast so he could fill up his jig box with his own tackle.
I told him he could use whatever colors were in the workshop.
Well I happen to have some powder that I got on a closeout sale and one of them was an unusual blue color.
He decided to make a two-tone jig using one of my stock more common colors for the base coat and the brush tab method to add this funky blue color in blotches on The jigs.
He put several of these in his box and then his mom asked if he would paint one up for her.
So he gave his mom one of his painted jigs.
Well wouldn't you know it he didn't listen to me and put his jig box with his ice fishing stuff and ended up forgetting it.
It turns out the weird color pattern that he had made was really killing the fish.
And my now ex-wife was bringing them in left and right when I couldn't get a bite.
She even offered to switch holes with me which we did and she was catching in the whole I couldn't catch them in and I caught nothing in her fishing hole.
Long story short I now have a new color I call top secret then on occasion just slays the fish.
My ex thought she had something all to herself but by the next morning I had 12 of them in my jig box.
Now this is a color you will not find in stores and that you cannot buy anywhere that I've ever seen.
But I can make as many as I want anytime I want to.
Last time I went I was nailing them on a green pumpkin jig which is a color that is not stocked in the ice fishing section of any of my local stores.
Fortunately I had some extra so my buddy was able to use one too and he started catching a lot more fish after switching.
I treat making my own jigs as a separate hobby and I can do it on days when I can't go fishing when the weather is crappy or what have you.
And I can make things my local tackle shop doesn't carry in colors that aren't stocked anywhere.
Is often surprising how well some of these jigs work in these colors and styles that I cannot find anywhere.
KasilofChrisN

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2022, 04:09 PM »
Got any pics of the magic jig ;) ?

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:31 PM »
Got any pics of the magic jig ;) ?

There shall be no pics of the magic jig!
That's why the color is called top secret by me and my friends.
I will say it is unique color combination that most would never think to use. I guess you never know what might come out of the mind of a child!
I will say one of the color glows the other does not.
KasilofChrisN

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:37 PM »
Nice, gotta love the one offs you can make, I love being able recreat stuff I look at that's way over priced.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2022, 11:38 AM »
Thanks for the help. Spent a couple hours today dipping jig heads but it’s these lures I’m most excited about.

-Ernest Hemingway

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2022, 11:42 AM »
Nice job Keith!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2022, 03:55 PM »
Thanks Frank! It’s addicting. I’m gonna spend a fortune on blank metal spoons and jigs. Wife is gonna love it  :whistle: :roflmao:
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2022, 04:02 PM »
great work  :thumbsup:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2022, 04:10 PM »
Thanks Frank! It’s addicting. I’m gonna spend a fortune on blank metal spoons and jigs. Wife is gonna love it  :whistle: :roflmao:

Haha! Tell her Better to spend money on some hooks instead of Hookers I spose?  ;D
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2022, 04:17 PM »
Haha! Tell her Better to spend money on some hooks instead of Hookers I spose?  ;D
Nice one. I'll use that.
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2022, 04:17 PM »
Nice colors.  I like the acme pheobe
Salmonemia

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:41 PM »
Lmao. Yeah she’s really pretty good about it. She always says “there’s plenty of worse things you could be addicted to”.

-Ernest Hemingway

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.