Author Topic: Cusk Traps  (Read 6448 times)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Cusk Traps
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2022, 09:36 AM »
What hooks does everyone use?  I used bass worm hooks last year (per fish & games reccomendation) but seemed to get robbed alot. I think the hook point was twisting/backing into the bait. I am going to try octopus hooks next and maybe trebles. I dont like the idea of trebles in case I catch a laker by accident. I think i will go with tail-hooking them because they probably will stay alive longer vs nose hooking

I use cheap snelled eagle claw #4 bait holders the way I rig them to the weight it leaves them at 6” or less of leader which is required, then removing fish is as simple as cutting off any keepers or swallows and snapping a quick new snell on in freezing temps or night it’s appreciated.

I’ve posted pics of them before. Take note: IF YOU JUST SNAP SWIVEL ON A SNELLED HOOK FROM Eagle claw it’s not legal. It’s to long
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2022, 09:53 AM »
I use cheap snelled eagle claw #4 bait holders the way I rig them to the weight it leaves them at 6” or less of leader which is required, then removing fish is as simple as cutting off any keepers or swallows and snapping a quick new snell on in freezing temps or night it’s appreciated.

Great tip, thanks. 

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:18 AM »
What hooks does everyone use?  I used bass worm hooks last year (per fish & games reccomendation) but seemed to get robbed alot. I think the hook point was twisting/backing into the bait. I am going to try octopus hooks next and maybe trebles. I dont like the idea of trebles in case I catch a laker by accident. I think i will go with tail-hooking them because they probably will stay alive longer vs nose hooking

Check your regs. I believe using treble hooks with live bait is illegal in your state.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:40 AM »
Interested to see how this works out for you. Are you using the pvc with the bearings in place of your weight?
yes this is a weight replacement

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:50 AM »
Check your regs. I believe using treble hooks with live bait is illegal in your state.

Live or dead bait, trebles are illegal.

Offline wally

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If I'm not killing it I'm catching it!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2022, 06:36 PM »
Not sure you are allowed to use trebles with bait.. I know regular traps can't have treble hooks. Single hooks only in NH when using bait.. Unless i misunderstand the regs..

Offline Rhansen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:49 AM »
I set some traps out overnight and had an assortment of setups with no attractant, some with just a bell, and others with a bell and glowstick. It didnt seem to make much as a difference as being at the correct depth. We had a grid pattern of a dozen traps out and had fish on 4/12 which were all at the same depth.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2022, 09:15 AM »
I set some traps out overnight and had an assortment of setups with no attractant, some with just a bell, and others with a bell and glowstick. It didnt seem to make much as a difference as being at the correct depth. We had a grid pattern of a dozen traps out and had fish on 4/12 which were all at the same depth.

Spot on, DEPTH is the major factor and it will come down to only a couple feet

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:31 PM »
Explain depth. I have always set on the bottom, as cusk are a bottom feeder. Looking forward to your imput.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:35 PM »
Depth for cusk could be all over they could be in 80 fow or I've caught them in 10 fow
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2022, 05:42 PM »
That makes sense. I read misunderstood it as meaning depth in water column. Depends on the time of year, early season 40 plus feet; spawn season 6 feet.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06:42 AM »
Exactly! i always fish bottom have never picked one up suspended in the water column
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2022, 07:02 AM »
Yep, exactly, I still meant on bottom. My go to lake though is amazingly spot on in 22-26ft. Anything else nothing. Once they start getting hot and bothered I get them right in 2 FOW in my Rainbow holes from the day if I just set Cusk lines in them overnight

Offline raindaddy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:35 PM »
anyone set cusk traps during the day? say first thing you do when you show up is drop the cusk lines down, maybe have some luck checking them after a long day fishing?
Man
I
Love
Fishing

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2022, 09:22 PM »
I fish them the entire time I'm there although not too close to my setups could make for a nasty tangle if you hook into a runner

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2022, 09:57 AM »
25’-40’ humps near deep water. Lines are heavy squid line to a heavy barrell swivel 10-15’ above squid line tied to weight. On bottom of weight put a quick snap. Make your own snelled hooks on a 5/0 octopus with the same heavy squid line, cusk do not care, it will save you some fish. Mono sucks! Just unsnap as you catch fish and snap another one on . Big bait , yellows work  the best .

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:57 PM »
Hey lv2hunt how do you do setting dusk lines in the day? I have never targeted cusk before but am thinking of it. So in NH you can set six cusk lines in addition to your regular legal lines day or night?

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:59 PM »
Yes I just set them the same way I set them at night except I usually set a little deeper depending on light conditions on the ice.

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:26 PM »
Hey lv2hunt how do you do setting dusk lines in the day? I have never targeted cusk before but am thinking of it. So in NH you can set six cusk lines in addition to your regular legal lines day or night?

Yes six cusk traps are allowed in addition to whatever the water body allows for "regular" ice lines.  They must be checked at least once every 24 hours, perfect lazy man's fishing! Just be sure you are not "actively" fishing them. Meaning you can't be pulling the line up & down off the bottom.  Had a warden question me once when he saw me pulling my cusk line up & putting it back in thinking I was actively fishing it.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:30 PM »
Yes six cusk traps are allowed in addition to whatever the water body allows for "regular" ice lines.  They must be checked at least once every 24 hours, perfect lazy man's fishing! Just be sure you are not "actively" fishing them. Meaning you can't be pulling the line up & down off the bottom.  Had a warden question me once when he saw me pulling my cusk line up & putting it back in thinking I was actively fishing it.

As long as it is one of the water bodies in which it is legal.

The use of cusk fishing devices is restricted to the following waters: First Connecticut Lake (Pittsburg), Second Connecticut Lake (Pittsburg), Third Connecticut Lake (Pittsburg), Lake Francis (Pittsburg), Lovell Lake (Wakefield), Merrymeeting Lake (New Durham), Newfound Lake (Bristol, Alexandria, Bridgewater, Hebron), Ossipee Lake (Freedom/Ossipee), Silver Lake (Madison), Big Squam Lake (Holderness, Center Harbor, Sandwich, Moultonboro), Little Squam Lake (Holderness, Ashland), South Pond (Stark), Sunapee Lake (Newbury, New London, Sunapee), Waukewan Lake (Meredith), Wentworth Lake (Wolfboro), Lake Winnipesaukee (Alton, Center Harbor, Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Moultonboro, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro), and Winnisquam Lake (Belmont, Sanbornton, Laconia, Tilton, Meredith).
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:11 PM »
^ Good call on that for people not knowing i just always fish cusk on the big lakes

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:24 PM »
Thanks jack1972 appreciate the clarification

Offline Tjnedz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:22 PM »
I am working on collecting some dead shiners and suckers to grind up to make chum for Cusk. I ran across a bait store that had some dead eels. Has anyone ever used eels for chum? I just don't want to put anything in the mix that will scare the Cusk away.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:42 PM »
Not sure of an legalities using eels but seems to me as oily as they are they would be ideal...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Tjnedz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2022, 01:44 PM »
Thank you for the response. I looked through the NH F&G regs and didn't see anything saying you couldn't use Eels. Once every things ground up I'm sure it will be nice and smelly.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:15 PM »
So.... growing up on the tidal portion of the Bellamy with a different backyard every 6 hours you had plenty of time to experiment. I can say one of the if not THE best big Bass bait of all time is a Eel, live, dead, artificial whatever.

Having said that. With 100% confidence because we tried it all growing up. I’ve never once in my life caught a bass on chunk eel or had them bump chunks in a slick of ground eel and they will eat chunk anything else.

How does this compare to freshwater? Who knows? I’d like to? Give it a go and report back please.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 30, 2022, 04:55 PM »
     I'm sorry for my ignorance but asking this out of curiosity. I see that you guys in NH can set cusk lines at night and come back in the morning and collect yer cusk traps my question is are you not allowed by law to actively fish for cusk let's say in a shack and jig rod thru out the night or is it something that people just don't do as much because you can set the cusk lines? I'm just curious I enjoy targeting cusk in the winter here In ME and they can be very fun to jig for.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 30, 2022, 05:01 PM »
     I'm sorry for my ignorance but asking this out of curiosity. I see that you guys in NH can set cusk lines at night and come back in the morning and collect yer cusk traps my question is are you not allowed by law to actively fish for cusk let's say in a shack and jig rod thru out the night or is it something that people just don't do as much because you can set the cusk lines? I'm just curious I enjoy targeting cusk in the winter here In ME and they can be very fun to jig for.
Yes you can jig for them! Never tried it myself as I never really fished at night.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 30, 2022, 05:01 PM »

You can actively fish them at night and guys do. You can wait 24 hours to check your cusk traps though which is a lot more convenient then each hour in Maine

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2022, 07:16 AM »
Kourcha - When I mentioned can't actively fish I was referring to the set cusk traps.  You're supposed to set it & forget it versus bouncing it off the bottom.

AA - Yeah I agree, rule sucks.  I didn't even bother bringing my cusk lines last year on the Moosehead trip.  Seemed odd that ME has that rule in place yet they are so much looser than NH when it comes to Lakers & Salmon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.