Author Topic: Went wading on Saturday  (Read 3412 times)

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Went wading on Saturday
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:14 PM »
How is the suit after its gone in - does it dry out well and still good to go?  I was actually wondering how well it does work and was considering testing it in open (warmer) water - but wasn't sure if it would ever be the same.  Glad you are safe also.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:35 PM »
How is the suit after its gone in - does it dry out well and still good to go?  I was actually wondering how well it does work and was considering testing it in open (warmer) water - but wasn't sure if it would ever be the same.  Glad you are safe also.

My bibs were soaked and my jackets were half soaked so I took the opportunity to was and dry both as I do not remember the last time they were washed.  I washed and dried (2x) on the delicate cycle and everything was fine.  I turned the bibs inside out on the second round of drying.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:41 PM »
My bibs were soaked and my jackets were half soaked so I took the opportunity to was and dry both as I do not remember the last time they were washed.  I washed and dried (2x) on the delicate cycle and everything was fine.  I turned the bibs inside out on the second round of drying.

Thanks Jason

Offline Icenoobie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:11 PM »
Thank you for sharing your experience. There’s a lot to learn from it! I’m new to the ice and reading your guys’ posts with best practices/methods is super helpful in trying to catch fish and in this case, staying safe.

Glad everyone was safe!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:39 PM »
Thank you for sharing your experience. There’s a lot to learn from it! I’m new to the ice and reading your guys’ posts with best practices/methods is super helpful in trying to catch fish and in this case, staying safe.

Glad everyone was safe!
If you have not already - buy a quality Spud / Chisel....

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:42 PM »

And actually use it.  See a lot of guys spud for 100ft and stop...probably get tired.  I do for sure and on long walks on thin ice sometimes blisters...better than wet wading in winter!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:15 AM »
Scary stuff, a couple of years back I wasn't being responsible and lost sight of my dog on Sunapee and she came running back to me soaking wet/ covered in icicles after 20 mins of looking for her... last time I brought her ice fishing. I Knew she ran off, the ice was nice and thick and I didn't think she could fall through, but she did. She has never been able to just sit and hang out with me so its just not worth it. Glad you all made it out OK.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:55 AM »
And actually use it.  See a lot of guys spud for 100ft and stop...probably get tired.  I do for sure and on long walks on thin ice sometimes blisters...better than wet wading in winter!
I think they just figure it's safe at that point,last weekend,  4 of us walking out taking turns spudfing as we went, most took 4 or 5 whacks to go through, at one point during my turn my second hit went to the hilt. BACK UP!..we went back and set up on a desert.. still beats a swim..I carry 2 additional pieces of safety gear, in addition to.my spikes and spud one is a storm whistle. They work even full of water.
 The other is a throwable boat cushion with 50' of polypropylene rope.. ive twice thrown that thing to.people that tempted fate.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:36 PM »
I carry 2 additional pieces of safety gear,.... one is a storm whistle. They work even full of water.

Great tip on carrying a whistle, I have one in about every gear/boat/tackle bag.  Even have one in my ski parka if I were ever end up off trail sometime with a broken leg or something.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:55 PM »
I think they just figure it's safe at that point,last weekend,  4 of us walking out taking turns spudfing as we went, most took 4 or 5 whacks to go through, at one point during my turn my second hit went to the hilt. BACK UP!..we went back and set up on a desert.. still beats a swim..I carry 2 additional pieces of safety gear, in addition to.my spikes and spud one is a storm whistle. They work even full of water.
 The other is a throwable boat cushion with 50' of polypropylene rope.. ive twice thrown that thing to.people that tempted fate.

That or its a small water mentality where most smaller lakes dont have as much variability in ice thickness.  Where I fish normally (champ) one guy died after a warm water upwelling eroded the ice underneath him.  Its wild how much more dangerous big lakes can be. 

Offline Icenoobie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:26 PM »

Thank you for the advice DConIce and lowaccord66, I picked up a 2 piece Rapala chisel and will use it on unfamiliar ice, which is pretty much everywhere (except for a couple of ponds). I also plan on putting 50’ of rope on a boat fender and keeping it in the sled, just in case.

Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.