Author Topic: Roland Patry traps with Roccus mods  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Roland Patry traps with Roccus mods
« on: Dec 21, 2021, 06:54 PM »
Hey, had the pleasure and the privilege of having Roccus tinker with a couple recently purchased Roland Patry traps.  Story is I was looking for a couple "minimalist" setups for shallow trout fishing and (to his credit) the guy at Wildlife where I bought them, suggested they'd be more effective on finicky trout with some mods.  Well, I happened to mentioned this here and, true to form, Roccus dove in and offered to help. 

Figured I'd post a few pics to highlight what he improved.

First, here's a pic of what they looked like stock.

We started by removing the spools and replacing them with some 3" Heritage spools I poached from a couple different rigs.  They were already spooled, pretty much full. 

Added longer, thinner flag steels from Jack Traps.  HUGE improvement. 

Finished off by adding split rings to the flag steels for low-friction triggers.  Also painted the spool winders white for better visibility.

Also beefed up the spool mount with a thru-post bolt (replacing a pressed-in pin) and improved bushings, washers and other hardware.  All stainless.

Trips on a hair trigger now.  Can't wait so set it with an egg and watch it pop.

Thanks again, Joe. 

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Roland Paltry traps with Roccus mods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2021, 07:00 PM »
Correction, it was the Heritage traps that had the pressed-in spool mount pin, not the Patry traps. We beefed 'em up anyway.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Roland Patry traps with Roccus mods
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Looks great!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Looks like some pretty awesome trap Steve 👍
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2021, 08:25 PM »
sweet, how did the triggers work before the split ring?
Salmonemia

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2021, 08:42 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the first trout they catch... nice work gentlemen...

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2021, 09:57 PM »
Nice work!

How would you rate the trip on these custom jobs compared to say the 31” Jack with a 4 inch spool?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2021, 11:04 PM »
Nice, sounds like you guys did some good work.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2021, 04:29 AM »
Ready for the all the tournaments  ;D…looks good and stay safe
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2021, 04:49 AM »
Thats awesome.  The guy with too many traos is constantly giving back and teaching others.  I want to do this myself but have 13 hertiage traps that need it.  How much time dud you guys spend on a trap?

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2021, 05:35 AM »
Nice work!

How would you rate the trip on these custom jobs compared to say the 31” Jack with a 4 inch spool?

Hopefully Steve doesn’t say they are better considering I just order a set of 6 of these jacks a week ago… actually they should be here by tomorrow.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2021, 06:22 AM »
Hopefully Steve doesn’t say they are better considering I just order a set of 6 of these jacks a week ago… actually they should be here by tomorrow.

You won’t be disappointed with your Jacks….
Steve great job on the mods… good luck
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2021, 06:30 AM »
Nice modifications on those traps !

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2021, 06:41 AM »
Looking good!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2021, 06:50 AM »
Thats awesome.  The guy with too many traos is constantly giving back and teaching others.  I want to do this myself but have 13 hertiage traps that need it.  How much time dud you guys spend on a trap?

we wern't in any particular hurry, a lot of BS'ing, it's pretty quick

To  through bolt the heritage, you need to drill through the rest of the way after removing the post and spool

All these part # are from Master Carr…
you need 1 ea. 18-8 X 10-32X 3 1/2" button head bolt P/N 92949A  Pck. of 10 @ $ 5.72
1 ea.Zinc coated  Ny-loc wing nut  P/N98520A102 10 @$8.87
1 Ea. Ny-loc 18-8 SS  thin nut 10-32  P/N 90101A009 Box of 100@ $6.40
2 ea. #10 SS washers P/N 92141A011 Box of 100 $2.40

after drilling the post hole, seal the inside of the hole bye swabbing it with polyurethane, varnish or linseed oil you can seal it with a swab of gorilla glue as well, but this can be messy in that application..
put a washer on the new threaded post, put it into the trap, put a washer on the other side of the trap and install the thin nut, tighten securely.. you will most likely have to trim the spacer because of the extra distance taken up bye the thin nut... check the spool tang to trigger relationship before you cut it, it should fall just about in the center of the trigger.. install the factory washers and the new ny-loc wing nut.. the factory star drag can go in the trash.. it's useless anyways.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2021, 06:59 AM »
Nice work!

It's the same
. Jack traps set the bar.
. Everything else is trying to emulate them.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2021, 07:07 AM »
It's the same
. Jack traps set the bar.
. Everything else is trying to emulate them.

^^^ I endorse this message.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2021, 07:45 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I think Joe covered everything here in more detail than I ever could.   Can't wait to try em out.  Hopefully this weekend.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2021, 07:49 AM »
sweet, how did the triggers work before the split ring?

Triggers were pretty hard before the mods, specifically adding the Jack Trap flag with split ring.  Adding the split ring to the flag steel seems to make a significant difference but the bigger factor is the length and thickness of the steel itself.  The stock one on the Patry traps is quite stiff and very short, making for a fairly hard trip.  Surely okay for bass and slime darts, but not ideal for fussy rainbows I would think.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2021, 07:54 AM »
All these part # are from Master Carr…
you need 1 ea. 18-8 X 10-32X 3 1/2" button head bolt P/N 92949A  Pck. of 10 @ $ 5.72
1 ea.Zinc coated  Ny-loc wing nut  P/N98520A102 10 @$8.87
1 Ea. Ny-loc 18-8 SS  thin nut 10-32  P/N 90101A009 Box of 100@ $6.40
2 ea. #10 SS washers P/N 92141A011 Box of 100 $2.40

I don't use my heritage traps very often, but I hate that star drag.

So, I just ordered everything above - going to fix up my old traps.

Thx, Joe!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2021, 08:43 AM »
I don't use my heritage traps very often, but I hate that star drag.

So, I just ordered everything above - going to fix up my old traps.

Thx, Joe!

you know where I live .. if you need/want  a hand we can whip through them some night after work.. weekends will be for fishing from now until next spring.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Well done gentleman just did some mods to my Heritages new hardware and flags beat up over the years.. did not do the thru bolt thing but thinking of it now. I don't generally use my traps for finicky trout thats what the slammers are for. But alot of good ideas and builds to be had Good luck out there!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:20 AM »
Well done gentleman just did some mods to my Heritages new hardware and flags beat up over the years.. did not do the thru bolt thing but thinking of it now. I don't generally use my traps for finicky trout thats what the slammers are for. But alot of good ideas and builds to be had Good luck out there!!
The only problem with the heritage spool pin is through time and rough use, it can loosen up, allowing  the assembly to slide I to Davey Jones locker, sometimes with fish attached, the through bolt ends tat possibility.. by using  fine thread( 10-32) instead of 10 -24, you eliminate spool chatter which happens with coarse thread..also, the fine thread makes for more subtle adjust ment of the NY-loc wing nut..

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:30 AM »
The only problem with the heritage spool pin is through time and rough use, it can loosen up, allowing  the assembly to slide I to Davey Jones locker, sometimes with fish attached, the through bolt ends tat possibility.. by using  fine thread( 10-32) instead of 10 -24, you eliminate spool chatter which happens with coarse thread..also, the fine thread makes for more subtle adjust ment of the NY-loc wing nut..

I did not know they loosened up thank you!! just put the order in for the bolts i will be doing that mod.. Boy would that have pissed me off to go to a flag and there's nothing there but a wooden trap. Thanks again Joe!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2021, 09:36 AM »
I did not know they loosened up thank you!! just put the order in for the bolts i will be doing that mod.. Boy would that have pissed me off to go to a flag and there's nothing there but a wooden trap. Thanks again Joe!

I think it happens mostly.on the older traps that have been used for breaking  ice in holes as the freeze up, mostly to pike and laker anglers.. be sure to seal the he after  you drill it, so the end grain doesn't absorb water and swell.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2021, 11:16 AM »
I haven't even made the time to dig my traps out of their summer storage and now you have me wanting to revamp them all - Thanks JOE... 

This may sound sarcastic but I mean it sincerely, thanks for the ideas, details, and part # info... I will be fun to update some older gear and get it working better.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2021, 11:18 AM »
 ;D
I haven't even made the time to dig my traps out of their summer storage and now you have me wanting to revamp them all - Thanks JOE... 

This may sound sarcastic but I mean it sincerely, thanks for the ideas, details, and part # info... I will be fun to update some older gear and get it working better.
;D :tipup:

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2021, 12:31 PM »
you know where I live .. if you need/want  a hand we can whip through them some night after work.. weekends will be for fishing from now until next spring.

thx, Joe!  much appreciated!

if i was still living closer, i'd swing by in a flash.

let me give it a crack on my own, if I drill thru my hand or get stuck - I will hit you up.   ;D

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2021, 08:08 PM »
Looking good guys! Well done.
Yea you'll like them to use way better than how they come. These were must mods for me as well, as talked about in previous thread last year.
I was curious on one thing. I changed out the spring flag to a 40up spring, which is half the diameter. I didn't want to pull out the existing staples for narrower ones and leave holes. So there was slop in the flag side to side a little, it would cock at an angle sometimes when we set flag. Did you get that too with the jack flags? It looks like it a little in the picture.
I slid another width of steel in as a spacer at the top but I still don't like that solution. Gotta figure out something better for the long run.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2021, 08:15 PM »
The jack trap spring  is wider than 40 up, but a little narrower than the stock spring, I drove the staples a little  deeper and I feel comfortable  with th result.. you could just add a few new staples above or below the stock ones to compensate..I bend my own staples from as wire.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.