Iowa > Ice Fishing Iowa

Okoboji baitshops

<< < (3/7) > >>

Mr.Seaguar:
One of my favorite things was dropping my fish at Stan's or shucks, heading to Spencer, getting some KFC, going back to get my fish then going home. I have been made fun of 900 times for that until the person rides along. I've had multiple people say I'm never cleaning fish again afterwards. It's just too awesome when you can avoid cleaning fish.
They don't have to clean fish. I don't have to stop in. Nobody has to do nothing.

Buckshots:
It surely is nice not having to clean fish at the end of the day. I prefer to do it myself because I feel like I can do a better job. I guess I have high expectations on how I like my fish cleaned and anytime I had a baitshop do it, it seemed like I had to go through them again. The amount of people dropping fish off to be cleaned over the last 2-3 years is unreal. Many people have gotten into the sport and with the good bluegill fishing, it’s not uncommon to clean well over 1000 fish a day. Then there’s the guys who drop off buckets full of yellow bass (no limit). Most shops had no choice but to scrap it. It used to be an evening job for a few hours for an employee to clean fish, and it turned into a full time job with overtime. They had to cut back to say no fish in after 5 pm. It was just getting to be too much.

Fish Butcher:
Stopped at Okoboji Gas Co. and asked them if they cleaned fish. The answer was no because they couldn’t find anyone to clean fish. Bait shop owners nowadays pretty much don’t clean fish. The moneymaking side of cleaning fish is having those repeat customers come back through your door to buy the products you sell. Even more money when the owner does the labor (clean fish). Customer service goes a long way. It does take a special person to clean a lot of fish.

IceAddict87:
I have a lot of respect for anyone who owns or runs a bait shop. I don’t think anybody starts one thinking they are going to get rich, it’s someth8ng they enjoy. People knock kabeles all the time but they run a great business, their prices are pretty fair and the selection is good. I clean all my own fish but that is mainly because I’m cheap. Can’t blame them for finding another source of revenue that happens to be less labor intensive.

Mr.Seaguar:
Why can't I blame them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version