New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Rochester auger blade sharpening  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Rochester auger blade sharpening
« on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:07 AM »
Where is the best place in Rochester to get auger blades sharpened

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Rochester auger blade sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:55 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:00 AM »
..ship them out in NY

https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/
Anything in Rochester  i would like to just drop the auger off pay him to sharpen the blades then take it either back in storage or out to the ice with me

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:20 AM »
Anything in Rochester  i would like to just drop the auger off pay him to sharpen the blades then take it either back in storage or out to the ice with me

Not familiar with any thing up that way with all my years being on IS ...even in my area the best I can do is an exchange of blades .

This may help in a pinch

https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-007-AugerSharp-Auger-Sharpener/dp/B0027VRU6C/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=accusharp+auger&qid=1633443545&sr=8-5

Your blades are flat Mora style ...like pictured below ?

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:38 AM »
Yes if only I knew how to sharpen the blades

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:48 AM »

Its a skill set ..I would not try it w/o a set of known ready to go extra set blades at the ready I will be giving it a go this season . You could always get a  new set of blades now and/or send out your set do it soon as they will get backed up soon ... Note Eskimo hand auger blades may fit ..there are other hand auger brands/companies that may work as well ..but the gold standard are StrikeMaster Mora Blades as they are stainless steel which can be pricey to purchase while other blades are not as pricey as they are not stainless steel .  Note this may not work if your auger is an odd duck with the blades bolt pattern . Do you have a 8" hand auger handy ..friends etc ..could remove the blades and match them up  to be certain.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2021, 10:46 AM »
Its a skill set ..I would not try it w/o a set of known ready to go extra set blades at the ready I will be giving it a go this season . You could always get a  new set of blades now and/or send out your set do it soon as they will get backed up soon ... Note Eskimo hand auger blades may fit ..there are other hand auger brands/companies that may work as well ..but the gold standard are StrikeMaster Mora Blades as they are stainless steel which can be pricey to purchase while other blades are not as pricey as they are not stainless steel .  Note this may not work if your auger is an odd duck with the blades bolt pattern . Do you have a 8" hand auger handy ..friends etc ..could remove the blades and match them up  to be certain.

No it’s my only auger that works
I could go take a picture

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2021, 10:52 AM »
I have tried all avenues including "doityourself" which is possibly so worst decision   Best best is to call Fish 307 in Lake George NY  You can swap out your blades for refurbished ones or even trade them on new ones.  I have gone both ways and never been dissatisfied.  You have plenty of time, give them a call

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2021, 11:14 AM »
What blades

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2021, 11:52 AM »
That photo appears to have one up side down   am I wrong ?

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2021, 12:04 PM »
There was a place in Rochester that did them. I can't remember their name. They sold bait, tackle and were an archery shop with an indoor range. This was 20 plus years ago when I lived up there. They were in the city, not Grease, Gates, Webster, or Henrietta.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2021, 12:11 PM »
There was a place in Rochester that did them. I can't remember their name. They sold bait, tackle and were an archery shop with an indoor range. This was 20 plus years ago when I lived up there. They were in the city, not Grease, Gates, Webster, or Henrietta.
Mitchell’s bait store

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2021, 12:11 PM »
That photo appears to have one up side down   am I wrong ?
Idk it came like that I haven’t interfered with them

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2021, 12:24 PM »
Mitchell’s bait store
May have been, but that name doesn't ring a bell

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2021, 12:28 PM »
May have been, but that name doesn't ring a bell
Actually it would be Mitchel’s live bait and tackle but what about S and R bait and tackle co

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2021, 12:46 PM »
I seem to recall the name sounded more like a machine shop then a Archery shop that sold bait and tackle.  Think it was close to the lower falls too.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2021, 12:49 PM »

Warm up the Scooby-Doo van interweb some local area archery shops and drop some dimes ..if they dont do them you may pick up lead on who does

I seem to recall the name sounded more like a machine shop then a Archery shop that sold bait and tackle.  Think it was close to the lower falls too.

may be start here

http://www.cncarchery.com/

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2021, 01:03 PM »
Ok I’ll do some digging on Lake Ontario United and drive around in the fishmobile

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2021, 02:55 PM »
I think the shop you remember was Rochester Hollow Grinder. It used to be down by the Stutson Street bridge. I remember it fondly...

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2021, 04:49 PM »
I think the shop you remember was Rochester Hollow Grinder. It used to be down by the Stutson Street bridge. I remember it fondly...
Yep that was it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:38 PM »

It’s really easy. Simply buy a true sharpener the gatco. If you can read….the instructions are simple. You sharpen the main bevel first, once sharp you then do the secondary bevel. Takes maybe 5min if blades are decent. If they are really really bad….20min.

I’ve actually bought and Picked hand augers  up off face book from free to $10 since a set of good mora blades run $40 or a new mora auger runs $40. Most people just buy a new mora auger when blades are dull.

I pick them up cheap to free. Sharpen the blades, and maybe  put a new coat of sail blue spray paint on it if it is rusty. If need be 3D print a blade cover. Then sell them for $35-$40. If the auger is really bad…I keep parts off them. Like the blades, handles…etc.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:18 PM »

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2021, 12:15 PM »
that looks simple enough if it is reliable   For $15 it's worth a try  any body know about longevity of the hone ?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2021, 01:00 PM »
Any body got a lead on where you can pick up the Gatco Ice Auger Sharpener ?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2021, 01:32 PM »
I haven’t see one since I bought it. It works well. Basicly and sharpening system like this works. Lansky makes one like this with multiple angles.

I believe the stone is just a course stone on it.

If I had it to do over, I would have paid a little more to get a set with multiple angles and multiple stones. Then a person could sharpen other things also.

On my stone I’ve done 4-5 blade sets or more and it hasn’t wore much.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Oct 06, 2021, 02:04 PM »
I haven’t see one since I bought it. It works well. Basicly and sharpening system like this works. Lansky makes one like this with multiple angles.

I believe the stone is just a course stone on it.

If I had it to do over, I would have paid a little more to get a set with multiple angles and multiple stones. Then a person could sharpen other things also.

On my stone I’ve done 4-5 blade sets or more and it hasn’t wore much.

Picked up the Gatco multi angle rig(below) as I already have a Smiths stone kit ..the Gatco has the 22&25 degree angle..which the Smith kit does not  ..not certain the Gatco clamp is the same length as the Gatco ice auger kit clamp . I also purchased an RX-008 kit via Amazon ..thus far it seems it should do the job . Needs some ice to test out the results ...so I can do a review .

https://www.amazon.com/SMAUTOP-Adjustable-Fixed-Angle-Professional-Grindstones/dp/B08JLTTJ9K/ref=sr_1_9?crid=SNXT6IF5BO60&dchild=1&keywords=knife+sharpener+rx-008&qid=1633546758&sprefix=knife+sharpeners+rx%2Caps%2C946&sr=8-9#

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 06, 2021, 06:24 PM »
Picked up the Gatco multi angle rig(below) as I already have a Smiths stone kit ..the Gatco has the 22&25 degree angle..which the Smith kit does not  ..not certain the Gatco clamp is the same length as the Gatco ice auger kit clamp . I also purchased an RX-008 kit via Amazon ..thus far it seems it should do the job . Needs some ice to test out the results ...so I can do a review .

https://www.amazon.com/SMAUTOP-Adjustable-Fixed-Angle-Professional-Grindstones/dp/B08JLTTJ9K/ref=sr_1_9?crid=SNXT6IF5BO60&dchild=1&keywords=knife+sharpener+rx-008&qid=1633546758&sprefix=knife+sharpeners+rx%2Caps%2C946&sr=8-9#

I would think that the angle is the angle. Shouldn’t matter on clamp

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2021, 02:30 PM »
Well even tho I don’t particularly care for the place. Personal preference not real reason.

Bay bridge sports shop on sodus bay used to do them. I haven’t needed to sharpen any in a while. So you can call there see if they still do them. They were pretty good and reasonable.

Hope this helps.
~perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 10, 2021, 08:06 PM »
Well even tho I don’t particularly care for the place. Personal preference not real reason.

Bay bridge sports shop on sodus bay used to do them. I haven’t needed to sharpen any in a while. So you can call there see if they still do them. They were pretty good and reasonable.

Hope this helps.
~perchin

I don't think they do it anymore they just try to sell you new blades
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2021, 09:23 PM »

Just touched up my blades

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.