Author Topic: Closed season removed  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
Closed season removed
« on: Mar 04, 2021, 04:57 PM »
Well Ned Lamont just removed the closed seasons on all inland fisheries apparently.  Gonna be interesting to see how many more people are following the stocking truck around

https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/News/Press-Releases/2021/03-2021/Governor-Lamont-Signs-Order-Opening-Connecticut-Fishing-Season-Early
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Closed season removed
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05:43 PM »
I haven’t read the details yet but how does this effect trout fishing on the TMA rivers which are typically open to catch and release in March? 

I know of at least one CT lake that was stocked with 1600 trout last week just a few days before the close of ice season.  Ice isn’t good there anymore and it isn’t opened up enough for a boat either.

Offline michael czapor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Does that mean we can continue to icefish on any lake in CT ?

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05:57 PM »
That’s how I’m interpreting what was spelled out.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Now I don't have to drive all the way to Zoar to get my Walleye fix this weekend.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:22 PM »
Well Ned Lamont just removed the closed seasons on all inland fisheries apparently.  Gonna be interesting to see how many more people are following the stocking truck around

https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/News/Press-Releases/2021/03-2021/Governor-Lamont-Signs-Order-Opening-Connecticut-Fishing-Season-Early

None.  TMA's have already been stocked and the only guys out there are fly fishermen.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:32 PM »
Does that mean we can continue to icefish on any lake in CT ?

Yup same as last year.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:47 PM »
I wouldn't think this is the best thing for the populations of the fish that spawn the end of March into April though.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:49 PM »
I would assume that the regulations as far as catch & release have not changed on any TMA from what I have read. And that regulations would still apply on any body of water with trout. Just that the season is now open. I'm sure that the DEEP will let everyone know.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2021, 07:07 PM »
It isn't just Trout he opened up- it's all fishing. Northern Pike, Yellow Perch, and Walleye all spawn towards the end of March/ beginning of April I believe.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2021, 07:49 PM »
For the record...this is a temporary Executive order just like last years.  They didn't make a permanent change.  I'd check with DEEP before trying to fish spawning pike on bantam.  I doubt they will let that slide.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2021, 07:52 PM »
It isn't just Trout he opened up- it's all fishing. Northern Pike, Yellow Perch, and Walleye all spawn towards the end of March/ beginning of April I believe.

None of those fish have a closed season. The CT fishing "season" only pertains to trout.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2021, 07:58 PM »
None of those fish have a closed season. The CT fishing "season" only pertains to trout.

The way I read it it is opening up closed lakes too.. read the whole page and let me know if I'm reading it wrong. https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/News/Press-Releases/2021/03-2021/Governor-Lamont-Signs-Order-Opening-Connecticut-Fishing-Season-Early?fbclid=IwAR3QUUUUhrHAtUe5s_qfDD2-WC16mr7XZJM7rfBpjbWOfjtdd--GZpHpGFg 

"There are also plenty of opportunities to fish for bass, pike, walleye, catfish, and carp in areas that are usually closed at this time of year."

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:00 PM »
For the record...this is a temporary Executive order just like last years.  They didn't make a permanent change.  I'd check with DEEP before trying to fish spawning pike on bantam.  I doubt they will let that slide.

I certainly hope they don't, but the press release states otherwise. I emailed his office.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:55 PM »
Yes, the lakes that are closed are closed to stock trout. There is still no closed season for the fish you mentioned,  but individual bodies of water may close (usually before covid)

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2021, 12:24 AM »
Looking foward to fish my Walleye lakes in March and not drive to the 3 lakes that Don't close.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2021, 05:49 AM »
I asked them specifically about bantam and being that it is still new they weren't 100% sure, but they were assuming the regs about keeping/ fishing pike still apply. Also as for keeping trout they posted this on Facebook

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2021, 10:28 AM »
That’s how I’m interpreting what was spelled out.
From what I read it looks like they didn’t give any/enough specifics on ice fishing lakes that closed the last day of February. My guess is that item may not even have crossed their minds.
Personally I’m going to stay off of those lakes if for no other reason than conservation.
Given the temperatures predicted starting on Tuesday of next week it may be over soon anyway.  :tipup:

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2021, 01:57 PM »
From what I read it looks like they didn’t give any/enough specifics on ice fishing lakes that closed the last day of February. My guess is that item may not even have crossed their minds.
Personally I’m going to stay off of those lakes if for no other reason than conservation.
Given the temperatures predicted starting on Tuesday of next week it may be over soon anyway.  :tipup:

Good to see a sportsman that cares! I Emailed them about it but they never got back- this is what was in their press release : "There are also plenty of opportunities to fish for bass, pike, walleye, catfish, and carp in areas that are usually closed at this time of year."

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2021, 02:18 PM »
Apparently there's a lot of confusion about how many trout you can take. I heard there was plenty of guys at highland taking 5 fish home and the tackle shop there was even telling people you could.

-Ryan-

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Ya, some of the things that go on in this state are rather disturbing. I would like to see our Governor plan ahead and think things out once in a while instead of causing confusion and making a mess of things.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Any questions on fishing email [email protected]

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2021, 06:03 PM »
In our area East Twin, Highland and West Hill are TroutManagement Lakes. Limit is one trout over 16” for the month of March.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2021, 07:12 AM »
Apparently there's a lot of confusion about how many trout you can take. I heard there was plenty of guys at highland taking 5 fish home and the tackle shop there was even telling people you could.

They are literally stocked to be taken so I don't see a problem with this at all.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2021, 07:54 AM »
The order leaves room for interpretation. I dont see the wardens trying to enforce special regs that are normally in effect. Could be wrong. :-\

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2021, 08:21 AM »
The order leaves room for interpretation. I dont see the wardens trying to enforce special regs that are normally in effect. Could be wrong. :-\
  Yes, they are stocked to be taken, but there ARE rules for a reason. DEP does a horrible job enforcing them.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2021, 08:50 AM »
  Yes, they are stocked to be taken, but there ARE rules for a reason. DEP does a horrible job enforcing them.

Enforcement is not the question in this case. The question is whether the order supersedes the special regulations. I'm not sure what the answer is, but doubt anyone in government wants to fight it out in court.

I am curious if the last two years of no first day will push DEEP to eliminate closed trout seasons.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2021, 08:58 AM »

In over 30 years of fishing CT I've been checked twice....compared to 0 times in Mass in the same period of time.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2021, 02:03 PM »
In over 30 years of fishing CT I've been checked twice....compared to 0 times in Mass in the same period of time.

Doesn't happen often Ice fishing. Calamity Bob got ones attention at the launch this year. Had a nice chat, he was looking for unregistered atvs, not so much fishing related.

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2021, 02:16 PM »
good run but got checked twice this year..lilli 2 different times..2 different rangers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.