Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Walleye

Best depth for walleyes

<< < (4/4)

Rusty Hook:
If your going to set tip ups do you rig them so the sinker is a foot off the bottom so the bait swims around that or do you set them so the actual minnow at its lowest point is about 1 ft off the bottom?

grumpymoe:
rustyhook if i am fishing a sandy/light gravel bottom, i would use a lindy rig right on bottom as long as you have active minnows. you likely will catch more on a soft bite this way. now, with a heavy boulder/rocky bottom, i like to rig with one 1/8 oz split shot no more than 1 foot off bottom. its gotta get em!!! merry christmas  grumpymoe >:(

powderburns:
Here in Manitoba, I've been catching walleye in5 ft of water. We R not allowed live minnows in the northern part of the province. So frozen or salted minnows are used. I prefer salted minnows. A rocky bottom makes a big difference.

Streckfish6:
My favorite depth for walleys is 12-24 ft, I usually fish with 4 lines (i bring my 10 year old little brother along and he sits by the heater and playes his game boy) I set my lines for all different depths. One is 6 in. off the bottom the other 1ft off the bottom the other 2 ft and so on. That usually picks up the fish passing by.

TroutFishingBear:
I bar is usually the best, they rarely suspend on a bar. 10-25 ft is the best depth for a bar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version