Author Topic: Tipping with Plastics  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
Tipping with Plastics
« on: Nov 20, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Thinking about tipping spoons and jigging raps with plastics this year instead of dealing with minnows/heads.

Looking for suggestions on plastics to try out. 

Thanks!
Paul
Formerly Out_Of_Ideas
All I wanted to do was watch someone Ice Fish!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Tipping with Plastics
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:03 AM »
Berkley has a Gulp Ice Minnow Head and Northland makes an Impulse Minnow Head. I still like natural and believe that salt always helps so I save all my dead or unused minnows, salt 'em heavy and pop 'em in the freezer. If they're salted enough they don't freeze real hard so they're always ready for a trip. After all, you're gonna rip their heads off anyway. Very handy, effective and value minded.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:15 AM »
I've used Berkley Gulp! minnows, and sometimes a cut half-body from one before, with limited success. I'll still stick with the real thing. Still have 3 or 4 pkgs of 'em in the tackle boxes.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:16 AM »
A lot of small business making micro plastics these days, always nice to support local!

I prefer P3-plastics out of Winona, MN. They have a good selection, they're sold at Scheels and quality has been great! I don't believe they make an actual minnow or minnow head but if you're using artificial with spoons/raps aren't you going more for the action vs the look?
Da Pack!

Offline Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2020, 01:12 PM »
A lot of small business making micro plastics these days, always nice to support local!

I prefer P3-plastics out of Winona, MN. They have a good selection, they're sold at Scheels and quality has been great! I don't believe they make an actual minnow or minnow head but if you're using artificial with spoons/raps aren't you going more for the action vs the look?

You are correct.  Another option I have seen is using the Coconut Crab from 13 Fishing.  I will have to check out P3 Plastics.
Paul
Formerly Out_Of_Ideas
All I wanted to do was watch someone Ice Fish!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Berkley Gulp 1" minnows and 1" gulp curly tail grubs have worked for me in the past.
I usually like to take a bit of plastic and the real thing (frozen minnows or other frozen fish) and let the fish decide what they want.
I am usually ice fishing for pike and walleye through the ice. :tipup:

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.