Author Topic: Stinger Hooks  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Stinger Hooks
« on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:27 AM »
Did a search through the archives and found nothing related so...

Does anyone use or have tried stinger hooks on any of your setups...jigs, deadsticks, tipups...whatever?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Stinger Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2020, 12:17 PM »

Does anyone use or have tried stinger hooks on any of your setups...jigs, deadsticks, tipups...whatever?

Now that I think of it... Nope, not ice fishing. Never really thought about it. I've got a pile of pre-tied stinger for spring walleye jig fishing but never considered 'em for ice. I guess it's usually because lures have multiple hooks to begin with and pannie jigs and spoons are small enough (usually) to be completely inhaled.

But now you have me thinking. What if you used a small jig or spoon for pannies and tied a minuscule "stinger" with a plain hook but baited it. The larger small lure would be both an attractor and a bait but fish unwilling or too lazy to sample the weighty one might inhale the weightless "stinger"/dropper. Of course, here in WI, that setup would count as 2 of my 3 allowable hooks, lines or lures.

I know this is supposed to be about 'eyes but the idea above sprung from one way I'll use stingers in the spring. I just tie it to the jig and let it flop. No hooking into the back of the minnow. Seems like if they're just nipping so stingers are necessary, one that's loose and easily moved by a quick, sampling inhale makes it into their mouth more often and if good and sticky sharp hangs up long enough to get a good hook set.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2020, 12:51 PM »

Yes.  I have done it for large tube jigs and they worked. 

Here is the BEST idea I have had that beats the stinger hooks hollow.

I am putting these raw jigging rap jigs inside the tube jigs so that I have a hook front and rear and a treble on the bottom.

It puts my catch rate up 50%.

PS. Don't tell anybody.....
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2020, 12:58 PM »
Now that I think of it... Nope, not ice fishing. Never really thought about it. I've got a pile of pre-tied stinger for spring walleye jig fishing but never considered 'em for ice. I guess it's usually because lures have multiple hooks to begin with and pannie jigs and spoons are small enough (usually) to be completely inhaled.

But now you have me thinking. What if you used a small jig or spoon for pannies and tied a minuscule "stinger" with a plain hook but baited it. The larger small lure would be both an attractor and a bait but fish unwilling or too lazy to sample the weighty one might inhale the weightless "stinger"/dropper. Of course, here in WI, that setup would count as 2 of my 3 allowable hooks, lines or lures.

I know this is supposed to be about 'eyes but the idea above sprung from one way I'll use stingers in the spring. I just tie it to the jig and let it flop. No hooking into the back of the minnow. Seems like if they're just nipping so stingers are necessary, one that's loose and easily moved by a quick, sampling inhale makes it into their mouth more often and if good and sticky sharp hangs up long enough to get a good hook set.

Kinda - sorta what I was thinkin'. Stinger hooked on a Pimple, Hali, etc. Head of a minnow on the spoon...a grub or 3 on the stinger. Also have a few lead head jigs I could try it with. Similar to a spring time setup. Then again I have the tendency to think too much. 🙄

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2020, 01:03 PM »
I havent for walleye specifically but i almost always have a stinger on my tubes when using them on the ice. Im primarily using tubes when im targeting lakers tho and when they get finicky, the stinger is crucial. I prefer to rig the stinger from the eye hook, instead of the main hook shank. Keeps the stinger hidden in the skirt of the tube instead of sticking out behind it 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2020, 02:28 PM »
I havent for walleye specifically but i almost always have a stinger on my tubes when using them on the ice. Im primarily using tubes when im targeting lakers tho and when they get finicky, the stinger is crucial. I prefer to rig the stinger from the eye hook, instead of the main hook shank. Keeps the stinger hidden in the skirt of the tube instead of sticking out behind it

"If" I decide to try a stinger they will be the  short 2 inchers. Hiding shouldn't be a problem even if I attached it to the hook of the spoon. Head/ half minnow off the spoon and a little sumpin' on the stinger. Thinking the tail of a Wyandotte Worm or similar.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2020, 11:31 PM »
I have used them for walleye with larger 3" minnows. Have had some issues with them hooking the bottom of the ice. If I keep getting hit short I will use smaller lure or break minnow in half.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2020, 04:47 AM »

I use short stingers for lakers , and when  buck tail jigging for eyes on soft water ,

Offline JayWirth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2020, 05:20 AM »
Typically I use stingers for pike & walleye on bucktails but not for ice fishing.  I recently posted a video on tying stingers.

&t=72s
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people. Arlo Guthrie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.