Author Topic: electronics  (Read 5358 times)

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
electronics
« on: Nov 28, 2005, 10:22 PM »
how often do you use flashers or fish finders? I feel I have better luck without them, I spend more time trying to get the fish to bite while watching the the unit, than I do moving around and find the ones that are biting. the unit tells me that fish are there, but they don't seem to want to bite. so if I keep moving around and find the ones that are biting, I seem to catch more fish. if I do use one these day's, it's for the depth and structure.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
Re: electronics
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:28 AM »
check out vexilar.com or some of the others I am planning to buy one for this winter..Look at my old post about aqua vu vs vex a while back it will tell you what the guys think about having vex...most won't leave home without it...
jlc
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:30 AM »
ITS NOTHING BUT A 3 LETTER WORD AND ITS A MUST HAVE THING................. ...................... ...................... ...................... ...................... ...................... ...................... ....VEX ;)

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:59 AM »
Amen to Vexilar.

Offline allenca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:38 AM »
I agee vexliars can be a waist of time thanksgiving day I went out ice fishing and only caught three crappies. If I didnt have a vex I would have moved around and probabally caught more fish

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:23 AM »
If your vexilar is in good working order [works fine] I'd be glad to take it off of your hands for 75$. Just a thought if they are keeping you from catching fish? Paul

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Vexilars are great...they find the fish....but its up to the fisherman...vexilars dont catch fish..people do..bears do too ::)

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:18 PM »
A bear with a vex, the ultimate machine. The vex keeps my concentration from waning and I think that is just as important. And the fact that it is easy to setup to makes it tops ove a cam for me. As for not moving around, I move more using my vex than I would without being able to see if there is fish down there. Maybe when someone uses a vex it should be termed hunting instead of fishing.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:23 PM »
yeah they can be a waste of time.  all the effort of loading it up or even charging it, or better yet carrying it around on the ice with you.  thats why I leave mine at home when i go ice fishing.  i just go to the lake and follow the fishermen around that do have vexilars.  anybody tired of theirs and think they are over rated just let me know...... :o

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Goodness Gracious,I got $75.00 for a Vex if you're not using it,as a matter of fact Ill go $80.00,I like having 3 of everything(lol)like i said it a 3 letter word.................. ....."VEX"

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Come to think of it, I did forget how worthless they really are. Shucks I'd probably take one off your hands just to use as an anchor maybe.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:48 PM »
I will give $85.00....

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:34 PM »
mmmmMMMMMMMMMM :P

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:39 PM »
This is beginning to sound like an E-bay auction. ;) I guess the overwhelming opinion is don't go ice fishing without one. I know I won't.
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:28 PM »
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8994/smashkick5wj.gif

PS:This is what happen to the last guy that messed with my "VEX"

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:32 PM »
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/2324/shorter236k9gr.gif

PS:This is the 2nd time they messed with my "VEX"

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:38 PM »
I've got two words for you swede, ANGER MANAGEMENT.  ;D ;D

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:51 PM »
ANGER MANAGEMENT???????????WHATS THAT? ??? ??? ???MY WIFE EVEN KEEPS A EYE ON MY "VEXILAR".......I DARE YA TO MESS WITH MY "VEX"

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9150/cropped1wo.gif

LOL

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:05 PM »
That's too funny. By the way if that's your wife she's kinda hot!!! :-* :-* ;)I like the fishing penguin thing you got there too. I'm just too jealous.lol

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:02 AM »
By the way Moe,my wife is 6'7" tall and 437 lbs,that was her sister in the pic(lol)thats why she never goes ice fishing ;) ;) ;)I LOVE YOU JANIE

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:20 AM »
Vex it like the american express card.... Don't leave home without it!!!
Carp

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:41 AM »
 6'7" - 437lbs   WOW!  That would be a "WHOLE LOTTA LOVIN" there!

Boiler Up!
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:25 AM »
By the way Moe,my wife is 6'7" tall and 437 lbs,that was her sister in the pic(lol)thats why she never goes ice fishing ;) ;) ;)I LOVE YOU JANIE

Jimmy, so you like the big girls huh.  I have a few at work that won't leave me alone.  I can send them your way if you are interested.  The say, "big girls need lovin too", but I say "not by me." 
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2005, 12:28 PM »
how often do you use flashers or fish finders? I feel I have better luck without them, I spend more time trying to get the fish to bite while watching the the unit, than I do moving around and find the ones that are biting. the unit tells me that fish are there, but they don't seem to want to bite. so if I keep moving around and find the ones that are biting, I seem to catch more fish. if I do use one these day's, it's for the depth and structure.

I was once like yourself, skeptical on how effective a Vexilar truely was.  Well there were days without the Vex that I would catch tons of fish, and days I would only get 2 or 3.  Last winter I bought a Vex, and every trip last year produced a nice batch of fish, except one trip where the fish just had lock jaw.  The Vex saves so much time so you aren't wasting time fishing a hole that has no fish present.  When I put the transducer in the hole, even if I don't see fish I will still lower my bait down to the bottom, as I lift the bait off the bottom the fish will rise out of the weeds and appear on the Vex.  I think the Vex is a great tool to have, but you can't solely rely on it to produce fish, you still need to work for them, it just eliminates the guess work, and whether or not there are fish down there or not.  If I am fishing an area where the fish are real thick and biting fast I will hole hop without the Vex just going from hole to hole jigging a few times, even though the Vex isn't that big and heavy, after carrying it around for a couple hours you do start to notice the weight.

Like everybody else says, I won't go ice fishing without a Vex again.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:21 PM »
Sitting here reading these posts, I was remembering what it was like fishing without a flasher. I had just gotten bit with the ice bug and a more experienced buddy and I were out fishing one really cold night on Bass lake. He had an old hummingbird with an audible fish alarm (which I don't think he knew how to shut off) that went off every few seconds, I would look over at the screen and fish of all sizes were swimming under our hole and then I would look at my bobber floating proudly in the hole, showing no signs of fish, even small ones, and back at the screen, and then at my bobber. With God as my witness, if the battery dies on my flasher, I go home.
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:54 PM »
Iceonly, a truer testament was never told.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:28 PM »
technology...cant live without it...the good ole days werent always so good...i remember using a spud bar to fish...

Offline weidner21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2005, 05:17 PM »
i was wanting to get me a vex this yr ....can someone tell me where i can pick one up at?....also around what does one cost?.....would gander mountain carry one?

thanks josh

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Gander Mountains got em,right at 300

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:52 PM »
Gander Mountains got em,right at 30
Is that a FL-18 or a FL-8, I paid around $400.00 for my FL-18 pro pack. Did i get ripped or what.LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.