Author Topic: Warm Boot Suggestions  (Read 10331 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Warm Boot Suggestions
« on: Sep 23, 2016, 10:56 AM »
I'm looking to purchase new winter boots for ice fishing and snow removal.  I've had some sorrels for about 10 years.  They have done well, but are warn out.  I would like a little warmer boot, since my feet do get cold when on the ice in the shack.  The Baffin line seems nice, but the non-waterproof portion and reviews on overall size of the boot are concerns. 

Suggestions for a very warm, waterproof, winter boot?

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Warm Boot Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2016, 11:07 AM »
Muck Arctic Sport or Muck Arctic Pros.  I have the latter.  They work great for me.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Baffin Titans are all rubber. Run them here in Manitoba. -35 temps.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:00 PM »
Any opinions on the Baffin arctic boot?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Coach-
Check this page out-
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=34.0
There are MANY threads about boots and this post will likely get moved there any way.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:17 PM »
Thank you. 

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I have a pair of Baffin Apex boots that I picked up from Cabelas. I always have cold feet and with these puppies I have always been comfortable snowmobiling/Icefishing at -40*C and lower.

Cheers!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:50 PM »
I'm going to give the Baffin Arctic's a shot.  Found them at a good price. 

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2016, 02:20 PM »
Cabela's Saskatchewan Pac Boots or their TransAlaskan III boots are arguably the warmest boot out there. I just bought the Saskatchewans to replace a pair of LaCrosse Hunting Pac 2000g.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2016, 11:25 AM »
I have the Baffin Apex. Rated to 148 below zero. Never cold feet. No leaks ether but I did treat the uppers with snoseal. Also have a pair of black mickey boots. Warm feet in them also. They do get damp. My feet sweat. But it is a warm damp. Hope this helps.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2016, 12:59 PM »
I got a pair of Cabela's Trans Alaska III boots a couple years ago, and they are by far the best boot I have ever had. Can sit outside all day and my feet are still warm! In my opinion, a lot of insulation underneath your foot is absolutely key when comparing boots!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2016, 03:37 PM »
I have cabelas predator extreme have had them for 6 or 7 seasons now and they were great,I say were cause they started to leak last year they have the cabelas dry plus membrane that is similar to gortex.my self I will not buy a boot unless it is gortex or equal I have had just plain water proof boots but they seem to leak after a short time

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2016, 09:20 PM »
any of these boots come in a wide size? i need a boot that will fit my fat feet. i take a 4E shoe
Weight is also a concern.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2016, 04:09 AM »
I still swear by the mickey mouse boots, but they aren't in the LW category.
W or XW mickeys will definitely fit a 4E foot, I have the same problem when buying boots and a R mickey fits my 4E stompers. Also, almost every boot/shoe I own is either 11 or 12W, the mickeys are 10R and fit perfectly.
Just an option, especially if width is a concern.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2016, 06:43 AM »
Not a fan of the cabelas predator boots . The ones I have are 2,000 gram .
They are very stiff ( hard rubber ) around the ankle , super heavy and my feet always get cold ( not due to sweat ) so I end up putting heat packs down inside them .

I had a pair of 1,500 gram lacrosse boots that were light and very warm . I wore them out over about 10 years of heavy use and can not find them made any longer .

Currently , I still struggle with the predator boots

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:15 AM »
I just wonder 1 thing how can 1 person say a boot is awesome and someone else says the same boots don't keep there feet warm etc. Is there  inconsistencies with the production of some of these boots that make them have different results it seems very curious to me

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:57 AM »
I just wonder 1 thing how can 1 person say a boot is awesome and someone else says the same boots don't keep there feet warm etc. Is there  inconsistencies with the production of some of these boots that make them have different results it seems very curious to me
I think the biggest thing is blood circulation. I used to use rubber knee highs and feet were always cold. Switched to trans Alaskans and feet are warm. These boots have 3" between the ice and your feet. Need a little bit of airspace in the toe box too.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2016, 09:20 AM »
I suppose whatever you choose make sure they fit properly. Maybe that's why some have had bad luck with one brand vs the other.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2016, 12:58 PM »
Part of it is how people maintain their boots. I have a dual peet boot dryer and two sets of liners. Dried after every use. A lot of the cold feet people get is simply sweat from your feet left in your boots.

Imo, a 40 dollar peet boot dryer is the best investment anyone can make.

Beware of sno-seal as well. Will eat through the stitching. Obenaufs is one of the best products out there for waterproofing and conditioning boots.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2016, 02:58 PM »
I wear a size 9 work boot . I Always buy a size 10 pac boot to leave airspace . I wear silk liners and 100% wool socks , my feet are not tight in the boot . Some reason they just don't keep my feet warm and I hate walking in them due to weight .
I went to a pair of hermans survivors 1,500 gram . They are much lighter and warmer . I know they are a low end boot but they work well for hunting and sitting in a tree stand for hrs , not so much for ice fishing as they do take on water , even after using mink oil .
Today I dug all my shanties out and gave them the pre season go over and wore my old worn out lacrosse boots , they are shot for any winter conditions but sure are light and comfortable . Wish I could find another pair like those . I can't even read the tags but the metal speed lace on top says lacrosse

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2016, 03:59 PM »
As a grizzled old veteran of many a ice fishing seasons. I have yet to find warmer boots than the Mickey mouse boots. You can spend lots of money on boots trying to match their performance. As noted they are heavy. But my feet get cold easily and it really hampered my deer hunting and ice fishing. Cousin finally gave me his GI issue boots back in the 70's try. As his feet were same as nine wide long and got cold easy.

Over the years I have probably owned at least 6 pair. White ones, black ones with the air bladder and without. They have all kept my feet warm in the most bitter conditions. Since I am a bucket buzzard ( rarely use a shelter ) their performance is amazing. This with just normal socks on not even extra lined socks.

One last thing. They are the only boot that I have tried. That maintain warmth in your boot if you are unlucky to get a soaked foot while on the ice. I discovered this accidently when edge ice broke under me soaking foot and leg to my knee. Sat down on bucket wrung sock out. Put boot on and within 15 minutes foot was warm again.

After I discovered this little jewel . I used it to win a few breakfasts and dinners over the years. Fishing partners would be bragging bout their expensive boots. Toward end of trip I would challenge them to get foot wet on purpose same time as me. Then stand on ice after putting boot back on to see who would cry " uncle " first. Never had to buy someone else one meal. But I ate quite a few free ones.

Other than the heavy part. Ensure to use some type of cleat with the mickeys. They do not provide good traction on slick ice. I got a scar on my head that proves that.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 25, 2016, 06:51 PM »

You are correct. Why? Lots of other variables other than just "what kind of boots are you running"? Here's my take:

When I was young I never used to but now my feet sweat. A lot... That means basically no rubber, gotta breathe. One tip for sweaty feet, give 'em a spritz of antiperspirant spray before you sock up. Makes a world of difference for me.

Next, it's been mentioned but give your feet plenty of room inside the boot for circulation purposes. For me (again) if I wear two pairs of heavy socks I'm much colder than if I wear one pair of good warm socks with room left  to wiggle my toes. Gotta have circulation to be warm.

Lotsa good boots out there but you have to give them a chance to do their best in order to be happy. Cramped sweaty feet will never be a recipe for warmth. Toward that end, Mickeys are definitely out (for me). All that rubber and I'd be standing in a pool of my own sweat freezing into a block of bootie ice.

Remember: perspiration management and adequate space = warmth.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Electric29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:03 PM »
Lacross boots are awesome

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:33 PM »
Baffin Titans are all rubber. Run them here in Manitoba. -35 temps.

Alot of people on this forum swear by these boots.  I just got some a month ago and I can't wait to try them.

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Ive been trying to buy new boots for years just cause i wanted to try something different but ive been rocking sorels for the last 6 years and they keep my feet warm.  I think ill just save my coin for a new electric auger and i think my sorels will be good for another 10 years.  My dad is going on 25 years with his sorels (replaced the insert once or twice).

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 26, 2016, 02:13 AM »
I have been through a slug of boots trying to keep my hooves warm and for years I always ended up with cold feet when ice fishing, sometimes to the point it would cut my day short, have worn Muck Arctic pros, cabelas predator pac boots, sorels, a couple different kamiks and still cold feet all the time, went rounds with different socks and poly liners etc, most of the reason for cold feet is im very mobile until I find a good spot and then sit down, so im moving around and then get my feet sweating only to have them get cold when im inactive. Last year I bought a pair of Baffin endurances that were on sale for a very good price, loved them, a bit heavy but manageable. Nearly got rid of the cold feet problem, did have a couple long outings that by the end of the day my feet were getting chilly, the baffins are very comfy on your feet with the memory foam type liner, form right around your feet and feel great. Mid season I happened to run across a pair of Cabelas Saskatchewan pac boots in my size in the bargain cave, reg 249 and I think I got them for 89 bucks and im not sure they were ever worn, not quite as comfy as the baffins but a touch lighter, still very flexible, and through the rest of the season I never got cold feet again, best pac boot I have ever worn, use a poly liner and merino wool sock, the liner in the Cabelas Saskatchewan boot wicks moisture from your feet very well, I do notice my feet still get a bit damp in the Baffin endurances using the same sock combo but unless its very cold out and I have had a very long day I don't have an issue with them. Make sure to pull the liners when you get home and dry them, another big thing I learned is to not put them on warm, like straight off the heater vent, will get your feets sweating right away, and keep the floor heat off in your vehicle. Some guys say to put them on cold but circulation in my feet is just to poor for that, put em on room temp and good to go for the day.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Sep 26, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Lacrosse iceman when in permi. Nothing beats the mickeys when out on the ice. My feet have never got cold in them. My wife used to get cold feet in her kamiks. I bought her a pair of mickeys and she has never complained since. Wife tested and wife approved. Get the real ones with valve. No China copies.  Steve

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2016, 03:34 PM »
What ever boots you use never wear them or your socks to your fishing spot..  Fresh socks and boots when you get to the ice..JMO...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 26, 2016, 04:00 PM »
I wore mickey's for 10yrs+ and agree 100% with them being warm.....but the weight just got to be too much....
Bought a pair of Baffin Impacts and could not be happier...Light as a feather compared to mickey's, and just as warm!

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Artic sport mucks for me, plenty warm! And a lot more comfortable than a guy would think!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.