The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: MN one line rule  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
MN one line rule
« on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:46 PM »
I came across this thread while doing a search:
"In MN they changed the law to allow spearers to have one other line in use with hooks. We can use two lines through the ice but one in open water. They essentialy are considering the spear your second line. If you have a decoy with a hook then that is your angling line and the spear is the other one."

I do not read it this way, in that a spear is considered a line.  I also have never read a limit to the number of decoys that can be used, because they aren't considered lures and you're not angling.  If the above were true, then you could only use one decoy.  I also think this was intended for those who may want to setup a tip-up outside the shack.  But, would it be legal to have a hook on your minnow harness, as well as using a fake decoy with no hooks next to it, like a minnow/pike setup?

I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline MJ1657

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: MN one line rule
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:36 PM »
What you want to do is perfectly legal. The law was changed 3 or 4 years ago or so.

You can have a spear plus one other method of catching a fish. Their is no limit to the number of decoys you can use.

Using a tip up while spearing is perfectly legal.

Know before you throw

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Thanks, that's what I thought too.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:22 AM »
If you are waiting for something to spear, is the idle spear still considered a line?
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline MJ1657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Yes it is.
Know before you throw

Offline Bits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Does Minnesota puplish their reg's? If so, I'd pick up a copy of them and read them front to back--then if you have a question, pick up the phone & call the Fish & Game Dept.--we have people here in Montana who ask questions all of the time of other fishermen about the reg's--our F&G Dept. publishes a yearly small paperback with the complete reg's in it--all you have to do it pick one up & READ it! it amazes me that people don't--almost every place that sells fishing gear has them, here they are FREE! ;D ;D ;D
Happy reading & good luck!!

Offline MJ1657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:49 AM »
Yes they do publish regs for MN. Trying to decipher the regs and all of the things that are left out of it is the problem. I have had some issues deciphering regs in the past. Call the DNR and ask them a question and they will give you an answer. Hang up call back get a different person and their answer may very well be different.

Its the internet and you have to try and weed through some misinformation but lots of sportsman seem to understand the rules better then the DNR.

Know before you throw

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2015, 11:52 AM »
The regs says you can spear and fish with one line.  It says nothing about the number of decoys you can use, live, dead or fake.  So if your decoy(s) have no hooks, you can angle with another line.  If your decoy has hooks, that's your angling line, but only one decoy can have hooks.  Angling and spearing are two different methods, it doesn't say a spear is one line.  You could have 10 spears in the house. 

The problem is people should not post assumptions about the regs as fact.  I posted the question here since I figured someone had the answer to confirm my assumption and they did.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Does Minnesota puplish their reg's? If so, I'd pick up a copy of them and read them front to back--then if you have a question, pick up the phone & call the Fish & Game Dept.--we have people here in Montana who ask questions all of the time of other fishermen about the reg's--our F&G Dept. publishes a yearly small paperback with the complete reg's in it--all you have to do it pick one up & READ it! it amazes me that people don't--almost every place that sells fishing gear has them, here they are FREE! ;D ;D ;D
Happy reading & good luck!!

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/index.html   ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.