The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: New decoy idea  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
New decoy idea
« on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:34 AM »
OK, this may sound crazy, but I had an idea for a spearing decoy last night.  My buddy told me he had a musky on his tipup and it had grabbed the 2-3 lb northern that took his bait.  I was also spear fishing several years ago with a northern decoy and a shiner.  Once when I pulled up the norther decoy it bumped in shiner and a norther came in from nowhere and grabbed either my shiner or decoy.

I know the standard decoys just circle when pulled and sometimes northerns come in while they're stationary.  I always think that spiraling swim isn't real natural, even for an injured minnow. 

So the light bulb went off.  What about a northern decoy with an open mouth to secure a live minnow so it struggles?  It doesn't need to be a really big minnow, just 4"-5", and the decoy could be 8"-10".  But maybe the reactions from other northerns would be more predatory instead of curious and they'd always be grabbing the decoy.  I'm not sure how you'd design the mouth to hold onto a struggling minnow, but maybe a clamp style mouth.  I don't even know if the decoy would need to glide. 

I may just have to work on this in the off season. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New decoy idea
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:36 AM »
  don'trely know, but I sure you will get responses. My stepdaughter just came home from Tenn. w/ her Chihuahua, and I told her what my idea was. She was not amused

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:09 AM »
LOL.  Reminds me of a joke I heard a long time ago.  An old lady was yelling from a dock that her small poodle was swimming in the water and it just got grabbed by a musky.  A man in a nearby boat asked what color her dog is.   
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline mwal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:16 PM »
yup   a rapoodela  white with pink collar my favorite. LOL

Mwal

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:19 AM »
Knife, great thinking outside the box! Definitely worth a try. I may do so as well. Have some plastics that just might do the job. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Offline MNPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2015, 04:50 PM »
That sounds awesome. Post pictures if you ever make it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.